• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I may be imagining this, but I could have sworn that this (Bentley's car sale)was discussed on here many weeks ago before any of the transfer noise.

Rob Green has another year left on his contract, so wouldn't be surprised if they are looking for someone to come in and be ready to take over when he leaves.

The best scenario for both clubs could be QPR buying Bentley (nice big fee with some tasty add-ons & sell-on) then loan him back to us for a season in League 1 to continue his development. At the end of the season, Rob Green leaves and Bentley takes over as their number 1. I can't see QPR going straight back up to the Premiership this time, so Bentley would be playing Championship football as QPR's number 1. Meanwhile, Ted Smith keeps developing while playing a few cup games and covering for Bentley when he isn't 100% fit as well as playing in the under 21 team.

He might as well just stay with us then, we'll be there next season as well :winking:

Alex McCarthy was QPR's second choice and expected to take over from Rob Green but he's just signed for Palace. Think that would be a good move for Dan, provided he doesn't end up sitting on the bench until Green retires.

Given Southend's apparent cash-flow problems at present, maybe it makes sense to sell Dan Bentley now and reinvest at least part of the fee in acquiring the four players Phil Brown says he needs before the beginning of the League programme. A lot of people said Dan was not ready when Phil Brown gave him his chance in goal, and I am wondering whether Ted Smith is now approaching a comparable stage in his career.

Given Southend's apparent cash-flow problems at present, maybe it makes sense to sell Dan Bentley now and reinvest at least part of the fee in acquiring the four players Phil Brown says he needs before the beginning of the League programme. A lot of people said Dan was not ready when Phil Brown gave him his chance in goal, and I am wondering whether Ted Smith is now approaching a comparable stage in his career.

What cash flow problems?

If you think any money from selling Bentley will go to signing players, I think you may be a little disappointed!!

I would be very surprised if QPR purchased him this season, made him No.2 and prepared him for Championship next season. He's only ever played League 2 football, really can't see them taking that sort of chance, unless they plan to loan him back to another club for a season, in which case, isn't he better staying?

What cash flow problems?

If you think any money from selling Bentley will go to signing players, I think you may be a little disappointed!!

I would be very surprised if QPR purchased him this season, made him No.2 and prepared him for Championship next season. He's only ever played League 2 football, really can't see them taking that sort of chance, unless they plan to loan him back to another club for a season, in which case, isn't he better staying?

So why did Steve Bruce bid a million for him in the same Division? probably with a view to being their number 1 keeper.

Back