• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Spain v England UEFA Euro 2024 Final. 20:00hrs 14th July 2024

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pretty good pre match thread eh? Back on topic (especially me), I'm still looking for an England win and a good, enjoyable game.

It’s not about being right. It’s about what people like and the vast majority find it boring and detrimental to a very talented squad.

Over the years we have had some shocking squads which is why we have struggled. Previously the Premier League wasn’t seen as the strongest. A lot of money was invested into St George’s which has helped develop the youth and push forward the England squad.

Gareth has been lucky that he has come in a golden generation where we have world class talent. You also have the fact that we have been lucky in our runs and that the juggernaut’s of the past are no longer as strong as they used to be.

I think with a different manager we would have won games more convincingly rather than limping through each game.

I don’t care much for watching the National Team, if you gave me the choice of a win tonight or Southend beating Canvey on Tuesday I would choose a Southend win every day of the week. I watch the big tournament games and this has been dreadful to watch but most of all frustrating because those players are so much better than what they are serving up due to a shocking style of play.

In my opinion, England will be that juggernaut under a different manager (who I don’t know, maybe Howe or Potter! Definitely not Lampard).
He's also come into an era with the fewest number of English players playing in the top division.

Will be interesting to see how Spain set up, they've played attacking football so far but I think we've got a good chance if they play like that, if they leave space at the back we can exploit it.

Reactions: fbm
I don’t understand how anyone who is English and a big football fan wouldn’t be a big England fan and want them to win a tournament. I’ve read things online by Prem fans that say they support Portugal coz they’ve got more Man United players or whatever. How mental is that?

I agree on a lot of the points about England friendlies being dull and I don’t even engage much with the qualifiers but come tournament time I’m 💯 behind the boys.

And I’d choose an England World Cup win over a Southend league win because England tournaments unite the whole country in a way that I don’t see in any other walk of life to be honest. If we win tonight it will be great but a World Cup win would be a real “Where were you?” moment that you’d carry for the rest of your life IMO.

We have a chance providing we go for it at the start. But please don’t resort to walking football for 80 minutes.
I think the players are good enough, but is Southgate brave tho’

Oh yes, they did! 50 years later articles are being written about Holland 74 because of what they did to football.
They changed mindsets, and as @Cricko has been complaining, unless you play with flair you'll alienate a fair few.
Just for accuracy's sake, the Netherlands did win a Euro: '88, with another great batch in orange shirts.
The "Total football" notion was brilliant, granted, but I was referring to that great side from the 1970s not winning anything. Holland didn't even qualify for Spain '82!

But anyway, it doesn't matter what Southgate has done unless we win today. He may be more fondly remembered in the future than he is thought of now.

I don’t understand how anyone who is English and a big football fan wouldn’t be a big England fan and want them to win a tournament. I’ve read things online by Prem fans that say they support Portugal coz they’ve got more Man United players or whatever. How mental is that?

I agree on a lot of the points about England friendlies being dull and I don’t even engage much with the qualifiers but come tournament time I’m 💯 behind the boys.

And I’d choose an England World Cup win over a Southend league win because England tournaments unite the whole country in a way that I don’t see in any other walk of life to be honest. If we win tonight it will be great but a World Cup win would be a real “Where were you?” moment that you’d carry for the rest of your life IMO.

I agree. I remember so well the World Cup win in 1966 watched on a black and white tv at my uncle's house. It did indeed unite the nation. The closest we have come to that winning feeling since is probably Botham's Ashes in 1981 and, more recently, Freddie Flintoff's in 2005 - both united the nation. But cricket has shrunk in the national consciousness since 2005 whilst football has gone from strength to strength. A win tonight will be a tonic for our country. Come on lads!!!

England team news​

Starting XI: Pickford, Walker, Stones, Guehi, Saka, Rice, Mainoo, Shaw, Bellingham, Foden, Kane.

Subs: Ramsdale, Henderson, Alexander-Arnold, Trippier, Konsa, Dunk, Gallagher, Toney, Gordon, Watkins, Bowen, Eze, Gomez, Palmer, Wharton

No surprise with the starting 11.
I am not "sold" on Shaw or Guehi, fair at their jobs but not special and very passive, reactive players; which means both will play like men possessed with the spirit of 66.

Back