• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Spain v England UEFA Euro 2024 Final. 20:00hrs 14th July 2024

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am no fan of Boregate at all, but i guess he deserves some praise. I think we have got to the final despite him not because of him and i to would be glad to see the back of him, win or lose. His style of play ruins football.
Indeed, don’t get me wrong we are in the final and I offer some credit there.

However, there have been a few moments this tournament where we should have been out and we have rode our luck, I just don’t want that to come bite us on the arse in the final…. Again!

However, there have been a few moments this tournament where we should have been out and we have rode our luck, I just don’t want that to come bite us on the arse in the final…. Again!
It may well do, but I'm not aware of any previous England manager taking an England side to two Euro finals. Alf couldn't manage it, neither could any of the others.

Napoleon once said ' don't bring me good generals bring me lucky ones'. If your going to win a tournament luck is an element of it. I don't like Southgates style of play, but two finals, a semi final, and one quarter isn't a bad return. Most successful England manager in recent times and people slag him off! Football fans eh!

It may well do, but I'm not aware of any previous England manager taking an England side to two Euro finals. Alf couldn't manage it, neither could any of the others.
The standard of opposition to what we have faced so far was much much higher. We as @TrueBlue has stated have rode our luck against pretty dismal teams so far. We have world class players stifled by a system that bores the pants off most of us.

Nobody can say this has been a great tournament football wise.

Last edited:
I do think the criticism of Southgate is a tad unfair - it’s pretty clear our main striker in 70-80% fit a fair few others are ‘cooked’. The premier league is brutal and some of these players have been non stop for nearly 12 months without much of a break. Yes other sides have similar issues but the intensity of the PL is greater.

Yes it would be good to have free flowing attack football but Southgate record is very impressive- just think back of the awful McClaren, Roy, Capello, etc

I do think the criticism of Southgate is a tad unfair - it’s pretty clear our main striker in 70-80% fit a fair few others are ‘cooked’. The premier league is brutal and some of these players have been non stop for nearly 12 months without much of a break. Yes other sides have similar issues but the intensity of the PL is greater.

Yes it would be good to have free flowing attack football but Southgate record is very impressive- just think back of the awful McClaren, Roy, Capello, etc
Christ I forgot all about mclaren. Shudder!

FFS..started my pre,pre match drinking,thinking yesterday....
Not sure how im going to be in 24 hours time
Ive got a good feeling about this......but i had the same about my wife since 1985...how wrong was i also then

I am no fan of Boregate at all, but i guess he deserves some praise. I think we have got to the final despite him not because of him and i to would be glad to see the back of him, win or lose. His style of play ruins football.
I too would like England to play like Holland '74, but we don't have that side.
You make the best of what you have, and Foden's near dribble past everyone against the Dutch was the first time his tournament anyone in a white shirt has vaguely achieved same.
Let's assume you get a different manager: what do you do with this squad that would remotely see them play 'good' football?

2022 - won a group comprising USA, Iran, Wales, then beat Senegal before losing to France

2021 - beat Czech and Croatia, drew with Scotland, beat Germany, Ukraine and Denmark before losing to Italy.

2018 - beat Tunisia and Panama, lost to Belgium in the group. Beat Colombia then Sweden before losing to Croatia.

and this years great draw again ..

in terms of beating 'major' nations we have beaten the worst German team since WW2. and a poor Dutch team by their standards of the last 50 years

But its a one off game and luck appears to be on our side. This Spanish team is very good though.. and you know we will play into their hands for long spells of the game.

You are of course forgetting (deliberately I imagine(that Sir Alf acrually won thr WC in 1966 and no other Engkand manager has won anything.since.

Back