• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southgate resigns - Who next for the England Manager's job?

Who next for the England Manager's job. Southgate Resigns.

• Total voters
Interesting appointment. An elite level coach, great tactician and one of, if not the, best coaches in knockout football. From a purely pragmatic approach, he’s the best available candidate. Anthony Barry also comes with great pedigree.

I’ll be interested to see how the fans/press take to him. The Daily Mail has already **** the bed with a frankly ridiculous back page (Jeff Powell’s positively frothing at the mouth, and you’d expect no less), and the not insignificant portion of fans who sing about two world wars and one World Cup at every opportunity will be ready to pounce on the earliest misstep.

One of the great elements of the Southgate era was how he was able to unify all of the little factions that fall behind the national team and use them to create a much more supportive environment. Obviously that was hugely helped by winning more than he lost, but Southgate’s character and communication was vital. Will Tuchel be able to do the same?

At 18 months, it’s a short commitment from both sides. It could be strategically timed so the FA can take stock and see who else might be available if the World Cup isn’t delivered - suggestions Guardiola will sign a 1-year extension in the coming weeks.

It is, however, an enormous shift from the development model that Ashworth et al set more than a decade ago. The FA appear now to be throwing the kitchen sink at someone capable of possibly hauling a “golden generation” over the line, rather than establishing a long-term vision for the game. We’ve been here before, and it hasn’t worked out.

The lack of good english coaches is a big problem. There are a lot of number 2s out there but not many number 1s. Its become fashionable to go foreign for many years now, mainly due to the success of Pep, Klopp, Arteta and before that the likes of Wenger and Mourinho. We are producing a lot of great players at all levels but the coaches arent following the same pathway. From a purely CV point of view, Tuchel is undoubtedly a better option than Howe, Potter etc. The media will be on him if he doesnt deliver though, look at the hoohah over whether Carsley would sing the national anthem!

then if the england manager should be english then all the players should be also ,that goes for every nation , France would be in trouble think most of their team born in africa or such countries , Germany likewise too.
Where you are born and what nationality you are are two not necessarily related items.

Could have been worse. We could have appointed a German.

I’m back to not watching again. Simple fact and nothing to do with racism. If you’re ineligible to play for an international country then you should be ineligible to manage it.

If the English FA cannot find a suitable enough English candidate that says everything you need to know about the state of the game in this country.

Oh and does it violate Brexit rules 😁

What makes me laugh, is when the “Rooney rule” was spoken about, which meant a percentage of people interview for a job had to be black and/or come from minority groups, and everyone was up in arms saying the best person should get the job regardless of race, religion, nationality etc. So why, are those same people suggesting that the England job has to be done by an English person?

The England cricket team are doing okay without an English manager, as are the Lionesses too.

For me, the best person should get the job. And of those out of work, and available at the moment, Tuchel, at least on paper, is the best man for the job.

Southgate took us to a quarter final, a semi final and two finals in his tournaments in charge, and people say we have to make the next step and win something. We’ve appointed a manager with 11 trophies to his name, which is more than the English managers combined.

In an ideal world, yes the manager would be English, like the Southend manager would be a Southend fan and so on, but we don’t live in an ideal world.

I’ve heard people of talkSPORT saying they’d rather not make it out of the group stages in the World Cup with Carsley, or another English manager in charge, than win it under Tuchel. **** off. I’d take us winning the World Cup with a transgender, alien, who identifies as a pogo stick in charge. I couldn’t care less.

Funny when many are saying should be English, yet if Pep was appointed the papers would be asking for a National holiday in his honour
Give the guy a chance , he has a great squad of youngsters that are now use to pressure environments, GS moulded a talented squad let’s hope TT can bring it home
When I hear the dinosaur Harry Redknob going on and on , just glad he has no place in the modern game, he’s had his time , now move on.

The Daily Mail's opinion piece ranting about Tuchel being appointed was pathetic. For some reason they used the article as an excuse to slag off Sven Goren Eriksson, claiming that Tuchel will "take the money and run" like Sven did.

Even ignoring how ridiculous it is to make that claim about someone that stuck around for multiple tournaments it's classless given Sven only died a few weeks ago.

The Daily Mail's opinion piece ranting about Tuchel being appointed was pathetic. For some reason they used the article as an excuse to slag off Sven Goren Eriksson, claiming that Tuchel will "take the money and run" like Sven did.

Even ignoring how ridiculous it is to make that claim about someone that stuck around for multiple tournaments it's classless given Sven only died a few weeks ago.
Exactly what you expect from the Daily Mail.

DAILY Mail and classless? Never!

None of the above, for me.
Funny when many are saying should be English, yet if Pep was appointed the papers would be asking for a National holiday in his honour
Give the guy a chance , he has a great squad of youngsters that are now use to pressure environments, GS moulded a talented squad let’s hope TT can bring it home
When I hear the dinosaur Harry Redknob going on and on , just glad he has no place in the modern game, he’s had his time , now move on.
I still don't want a foreign manager, even if it was Pep. It's a total conflict of interest. If Germany beat us in a big game, all the conspiracy theorists will say he wanted Germany to win, and if we won, the german supporters would criticise his loyalty to his country. It's just wrong in my eyes !

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back