• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 2-3 Burton Albion

As usual this thread manages to offer some alternative views. For my money:

Sol’s decisions are baffling - if Demi was fit he should have been in. Why was Egbri continued with? He might become a player but is nowhere near yet. Goodship and Hutchinson would have been much better options.

Thought Mantom was poor and very wasteful today.

Macca as usual was totally committed.

Usual Elvis - Looked a world beater at times when going forward and looked non-league defending.

Shaughnessy was strong at the back.

Why sign another kid in goal?????

I agree 1 up front is tough on Charlie but a couple of times when he was in a race with O’Toole he was always going to win. That’s the tactic we needed to employ. It made me think of the tactics Sturrock used to employ - an effective lower league manager.

Hopefully for the next game we will have three more in the squad to offer something new.
That summary of Elvis is absolutely spot on. I've thought the same all season.

I don't think Campbell has a good reputation within the game. I remember watching Football Focus when he was first appointed Macclesfield manager. The pundits on the show were discussing remarks made by SC when he took the job and their conclusion was that his comments would not contribute to a happy dressing room. They certainly were not very supportive of SC. On the other hand he did well to help them avoid the drop. Time will tell if he becomes a good manager, so far the jury is out.
How much time?

Not on your nelly, he won't walk unless Ron pays him off. It's going to be interesting to see who puts up with who best.

I blame one man for today's defeat. The manager picked that side, the manager moved players about, and the manager continues not to pick certain players.

Tim Dieng has looked comfortable at CB, so why on earth did Sol think it was the right thing to do to move him into a midfield three with Milligan and Mantom? This is a formation that FAILED for Bond and for Powell, IIRC. Dieng should have been CB with Shaugnessy, and Mitchell-Nelson should have dropped to the bench, allowing another forward to start alongside the lonely Charlie Kelman. I like Terrell Egbri but he's not really ready, and Barratt would have been a better option to start. And, don't even get me started on Isaac Hutchinson!

Mantom back on set pieces too, what on earth was Sol thinking there? And a loanee GK who is probably less experienced than Harry Seaden - wrong move. Let's just get Ted sorted and into the starting line up for next weekend.
All of this absolutely 100% spot on.

I'm starting to seriously question Sol's team selections, moving Dieng to midfield yesterday was crazy, as was leaving Deme out of the squad completely. Some have argued that he has to try different options, sure that makes sense, but it doesn't ring true when the likes of Hutchinson and Goodship are hardly ever given a chance.

Someone said Sol had to play the kids, true he did against Lincoln and the following couple of games. Yesterday though there were other options, only Clifford (who's proved himself more than worthy of a place anyway), and either Kelman or Rush, HAD to play.

Mitchell-Nelson and Egbri were picked above many other (IMO better) options. Sol could have played Deme at RB, and Elvis at CB; he could have played Deme in midfield and left Dieng in defense. Any of Barratt, Goodship or Hutchinson could have started instead of Egrbri.

Neither of his two choices played particularly well with Mitchell-Nelson directly at fault for the killer third goal. Both have played three games in a week when Sol's mentioned the need to rotate. Fine, rotate then! You didn't with these two!

After making progress recently in terms of looking much better defensively, yesterday we were back to looking as chaotic as pre December, and I blame Sol's team selection at least partly for that. It was so depressing, for god's sake pick a team with a chance of winning please.

Anyway, rant over!

Last edited:
Ron politics, Spurs and racism (both left and right wing) Yes there is a difference but same result of hate.

Dont worry OBL you are not any those 3 and are clearly not the SOME posters i was talking about
You really should be very careful about accusing people of being racist, unless you're prepared to produce evidence to support that.

You really should be very careful about accusing people of being racist, unless you're prepared to produce evidence to support that.
He just makes unsubstantiated innuendo laden remarks without a shred of evidence and when challenged is evasive and changes the subject. Classic trolling and time the mods stopped it.

That summary of Elvis is absolutely spot on. I've thought the same all season.

Just shows how we fans see things differently - I thought Elvis had a great game yesterday, is improving all the time and we will be lucky to keep him for next season.

Demetriou will be gone in the summer. Along with Hyam he should be the top of anyones summer chop list.

I would rather see Sol play the young lads ahead of these two. Shame Harry Philips was inured and who knows whats going on with Hutch.

You see I thought Demetriou brought a bit of bite and niggle to midfield which was much needed. Regardless of whether he’ll be gone (yes he will) I’d play him* as he winds up the opposition and we don’t have anyone else like that.

*until we are mathematically down

Gunnarsson 5 - An odd decision to bring him in, replacing one teenager with little experience with another. Someone with experience, like a Stockdale type, I could understand, surely all this has done is knock Seadon's confidence. He looked decidedly shaky too especially when crosses where whipped in. Surely Seadon couldn't have been any worse?
Bwomono 6 - I thought he had a good first half and got forward well, after the break he looked decidedly suspect defensively and Burton got in behind him a few times. Unlucky not to at least test the keeper with that stinging shot just over the bar.
Mitchell-Nelson 6 - Like Elvis I though he was pretty good in the first half and mainly made the right decisions in possession. He showed a good range of passing too, including a fantastic cross field pass to Macca in the build up to our first goal. Sadly, he couldn't maintain this level in the second half and made a horrible mistake for Burton's third goal, akin to Taylor's mistake earlier this season. I hope M-N isn't now sidelined like he was, he's done well enough IMO to deserve a continued place in the squad.
Shaughnessy 5 - Looked shaky and no better than earlier in the season TBH, passing was poor and he got exposed by the opposition on a number of occasions. On the positive side I liked the way he was constantly talking to and instructing M-N, shame he couldn't take the same advice himself! Cleared one off the line late on too.
Clifford 6 - Probably his weakest performance to date nut he has set a high bar. Gave his man far too much space for Burton's first but after that was fairly good defensively, he didn't get forward as much as previously.
Milligan 6 - Not as good as recent games but the only CM who fancied making a committed challenge.
Dieng 4 - Very poor, going AWOL for large periods just like last season. And he's our captain:Facepalm:. Play him at CB or not at all, I don't ever want to see him in midfield again, just doesn't compete.
Mantom 5 - Certainly put more effort in than Dieng looking 'busy' but the quality wasn't there. Wasted two good chances (though to be fair at least he was in the right position), before luckily scoring thanks to Burton's calamity keeper :Hilarious:. Passing was poor for most of the game.
Egbri 5 - Had a spell in the first half when he linked well with Elvis. Probably the best I've seen from him and he put a good cross in for Mantom's chance. Sadly couldn't maintain this level and faded badly in the second half.
McLaughlin 7 - I'd probably give him MOM, he kept trying and put in the cross for our first. Better than the rest of the midfield at least.
Kelman 5 - Struggled on make an impression and was getting visibly frustrated in the second half. It doesn't work having him up front on his own. Although we're not exactly blessed with options he either need some a strike partner of an a attacking fielder much closer set to him than yesterday.

Subs:
Kinali 5, Barratt 6.

Last edited:

I haven't named anyone but just ask some of the black players families if they think SOME of our fans are racist.....We know for a fact that Elvis was targeted pre-season and there was an incident at Coventry.

Not all forms of racism is obvious.

Some people want Sol to fail because he is a successful, conservative and a wealthy black man...They would prefer it if he was victim or a Nile Ranger.

I'm not saying our fans are any worse than others but anyone who claims Sol has never been targeted because of that fact....Is in denial or perhaps feeling their own guilt.

Demetriou will be gone in the summer. Along with Hyam he should be the top of anyones summer chop list.

I would rather see Sol play the young lads ahead of these two. Shame Harry Philips was inured and who knows whats going on with Hutch.

A bit harsh IMO to compare Demetriou with Hyam! At least he's made some positive contributions unlike the perma-injured Alice band. I know you've hinted about a poor attitude from Demetriou in the past though....

I assume he's on a high wage. I'm guessing, but him and Oxley I'd assume are the highest two and we'll presumably look to move both on. Aren't they both under contract for next season though? If so it might not be easy unless another team matches their wage.

Agree about Phillips, he looked a gem in the Lincoln match. As for Hutch.. who knows, but I think I'll refrain from commenting on him after my posts last weekend!

Last edited:
I haven't named anyone but just ask some of the black players families if they think SOME of our fans are racist.....We know for a fact that Elvis was targeted pre-season and there was an incident at Coventry.

Not all forms of racism is obvious.

Some people want Sol to fail because he is a successful, conservative and a wealthy black man...They would prefer it if he was victim or a Nile Ranger.

I'm not saying our fans are any worse than others but anyone who claims Sol has never been targeted because of that fact....Is in denial or perhaps feeling their own guilt.
Another masterpiece of evasion. You referred to some posters, not fans in general. Who are they?

So the suprise Sol gave us Saturday was starting with a very defensive team! It was clearly a game, we should have gone for the win with from the first minute. Head to head history and Burton's recent form supported this. He played young tired legs from the start when either more experienced or younger fresh legs were available to him, he decided not to use them an rotate as he suggested.

The main joke was leaving Charlie upfront again with no support! Time for Andy Cole to step up and decide the attacking formation and player decisions on match days...?!?
It does feel like Sol plays for a draw at best from the first minute, inevitably our mediocre opponents take advantage of our weakness and Sol fails to react fast enough waiting for the game to be out of reach before we fight back.

I would like to see us play for the win in the first half and then adjust the formation and players to hold out for some points. If we are drawing or losing why wouldn't you go for attacking play, creativity, goals and entertainment? As relegation is on the cards, just go for it Sol!! Two upfront, midfield support and creative link up play. Pressure your opponents and force mistakes. Get crosses in the box, get players in the box and shoot as much as possible!! It is what is it... Untill you change your boring approach and beliefs.

You see I thought Demetriou brought a bit of bite and niggle to midfield which was much needed. Regardless of whether he’ll be gone (yes he will) I’d play him* as he winds up the opposition and we don’t have anyone else like that.

*until we are mathematically down
Yes I agree but it never lasts long. Plus its one thing being passed fit but did he actually train last week?....We had 3 experienced players in the centre mid so he wasn't exactly essential.

We are down so i don't buy into the mathematic bit. Its next season that counts.

It seems you are saying all who question his managerial abilities are racist. Perhaps you should rephrase that as you as usual have no evidence and are just floating bull****.

We get it.

Phil has really poisoned you against Sam and JD.

O'Hara, the Burton goalkeeper who had such a terrible game, was at Macclesfield on loan last season, an ever present under Campbell.

Back