• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 2-3 Burton Albion

O'Hara, the Burton goalkeeper who had such a terrible game, was at Macclesfield on loan last season, an ever present under Campbell.
Aside from the error (which I'd guess was a one-off moment of madness) I didn't think their keeper was that bad to be honest, he was a lot better at coming out for crosses than our keepers have been this season.

You’ve told us Phil didn’t want to sign SM and JD is paid too much.

You replied to a post where I mentioned Hyam and JD not Sam Mantom. Plus I make my own judgments on players rather than have opinions twisted by hate campaigns against mangers...Both past as present.

But seeing as you have mentioned them......One or perhaps even two of your favourite ever Southend players think Demetriou is overpaid and Mantom is a whimp.

You replied to a post where I mentioned Hyam and JD not Sam Mantom.
Plus I make my own judgments on players rather than have opinions twisted by hate campaigns against mangers...Both past as present.

But seeing as you have mentioned them......One or perhaps even two of your favourite ever Southend players think Demetriou is overpaid and Mantom is a whimp.

I can certainly remember you posting on here that PB didn't rate Mantom.That's the problem with with all this inside information crap.What's obvious to pretty much everyone is that the team is not performing.How could it when half the players are kids?The person I blame for that is the Chairman.I have no inside information whatsoever for that judgement call.Just seems like common sense to me.

I can certainly remember you posting on here that PB didn't rate Mantom.That's the problem with with all this inside information crap.What's obvious to pretty much everyone is that the team is not performing.How could it when half the players are kids?The person I blame for that is the Chairman.I have no inside information whatsoever for that judgement call.Just seems like common sense to me.

Yes I did but whats that got to do with anything.

There has been plenty of good performances by the so called 'kids'.....You might even appreciate some of them on your annual trip to the Hall in May.

Come on guys, this is the post match thread. By all means pm each other if you want to but lets not get too far into which poster said what and why. Thanks.

You replied to a post where I mentioned Hyam and JD not Sam Mantom. Plus I make my own judgments on players rather than have opinions twisted by hate campaigns against mangers...Both past as present.

Wow, is there a hate campaign against Sol? What evidence do you have for that?

Less positives than previously versus Gillingham. Kids are still trying, some holding their own, others are nowhere near ready. The majority are playing because of necessity rather recognition of their progress.

Experienced players aren't doing enough in terms of performance and certainly not verbally. As for Mantom walking off down the tunnel after being subbed, please...who does he think he is?!

There is no quick fix to this mess. These kids won't suddenly gel into a league 2 play off chasing side and I'm afraid there is worse to come, unless there is some drastic changes upstairs.

Ron must be wondering how bad it can get on & off the pitch before the fans begin to voice their displeasure. It's all very well us all sitting there not wanting to moan because of the kids and their well being, but if we were ever going voice our anger and genuine concern then the time for that is now when the season is done, not when it's next season when we will start on 0 points along with 23 other clubs.

We're all guilty of having the pi$$ taken out of us. I just genuinely fear how bad it will get before we say enough is enough.

Ron must be wondering how bad it can get on & off the pitch before the fans begin to voice their displeasure. It's all very well us all sitting there not wanting to moan because of the kids and their well being, but if we were ever going voice our anger and genuine concern then the time for that is now when the season is done, not when it's next season when we will start on 0 points along with 23 other clubs.

We're all guilty of having the pi$$ taken out of us. I just genuinely fear how bad it will get before we say enough is enough.

We might be starting with a points deduction, especially if staff and players aren't payed again this season.

Waited until Monday to post as is best after a defeat.

Keeper did OK but a little lacking in confidence as expected behind three kids and a player coming back from injury. With hindsight perhaps better to give Seaden another chance, but then again we do need to protect these kids better - maybe put someone else's youngster in the firing line for a week or two. Elvis unusually poor, nowhere near close enough to his man at times.

Thought Mantom did OK actually, supported Kelman well and got ahead of the ball a number of times. Unlucky not to score with a much better effort than the one he did score from. Unfortunately, his passing was poor at times, especially in the second half when breaking forward, he had two good options but shinned it out of play.

The decision to play Kelman on his own upfront is getting some pelters. It didn't work of course, but unfortunately our midfielders are so poor, that we need three of them in there to not be totally overrun. In that respect it worked, we did compete in the middle and won a fair few second balls through weight of numbers. Unfortunately poor Charlie was isolated but Mantom and Macca did their best not to make it so.

Judging by post-match interviews, Sol is aware that Kelman is not a lone striker, but really once again the paucity of options available to him is clear. Goodship hasn't really impressed this season and Rush is a youngster. Who do you drop to accommodate them, knowing that neither is a target man and you would risk leaving two men isolated instead of one, and weaken the midfield? In that context, I can understand the decision to go with Kelman on his own and try to get midfielders around him.

Sam Barratt really impressed me when he came on. He's a little frustrating as makes the wrong decision at times, but he definitely makes things happen. Skilful, can beat a man, a good shot on him, physically strong and a hard worker, brilliant long throw. Looking forward to seeing him with a full pre-season under his belt.

Aside from that, the Burton goalkeeper may be the worst opposition keeper I have seen for some years. Thanks for the goals. But really, once again, Burton didn't really have to get out of second gear - just sit back and wait for the mistakes. Shame for MMN but given we have players coming back now, it may be his last meaningful contribution for a while.

I'm not too sure Sol can really win here with a few of you. I'd be quite confident in predicting that had we started that game 442 then we'd have conceded 4 goals minimum. Our 2 sub strikers were Rush and Goodship. Goodship has looked better out wide in all honesty and absolutely no chance should we play both Rush and Kelman up top together.

Moving Dieng into midfield was probably a mistake. As I've said previously I'm really not a fan of him and I've questioned him at CB, but after Saturday he needs to go stay in defence. Failing that, stick him up front for some height! A really poor player if I'm being honest.

I found the signing of another youth keeper bizarre. Might as well have played Seaden IMO. He was very vocal, but certainly not a world beater and wasn't that his full debut? Odd.

Subs weren't what I'd have done, but again I just don't think the options available would have made the difference needed to turn that game around. Barrett for Egbri would have been my first sub FWIW.

The reality is we're just not good enough, and certainly not good enough for starting 2 up top. Could / should he have pushed 2 up with ten minutes remaining? In fairness, probably. But we don't win that game IMO. If anything, we concede another.

Sol is desperate for these two Macc lads to be signed up. They trust him and he trusts them. Until them, he's going to pick a team that he feels is going to keep the score down the most. Sorry situation but it's reality I'm afraid.

I sort of agree farmdog. To me it made sense to start 4-5-1 without the ball and 4-3-3 with the ball, we have done of late. I would not have moved Dieng out of defence, he and MMN seemed to have formed a good partnership and I didnt think we look as good back there on Saturday as we did in the games before. I hope we stick with MMN as he looks a good player in my eyes.

I was critical on Tuesday about CK, as I didnt think he showed enough energy up front on his own. However, Saturday he gave it a go, he isnt suited to one up but there is no point player two players the same up front at present.

MY first sub though would have been Hutchinson for Shaugnessy and I would have moved Dieng back, then Egbri off for either Kinali or Barrett. Egbri at present is too light weight and despite his good points that hurts us a lot. It is not meant to sound like a I am criticising him its just what it is.

Let's look on the brightside it's one game closer to the end of the season! :Thank You:
No real thoughts on the game each game is as dull and miserable as the last. Egbri not ready but he looks to be much more ready than Kinali he looked like a lost sheep when he came on.

Yes I did but whats that got to do with anything.

There has been plenty of good performances by the so called 'kids'.....You might even appreciate some of them on your annual trip to the Hall in May.

1.It's what mfurok was referring to .

2. I'm well aware that some of the kids have been playing outstandingly well thanks.But they should never have been chucked into the first team all at the same time,in the first place..Charlie Kelman in particular now either needs a rest or support up front.

3.The last time I was at the Hall was in late October (to see us play Coventry).I normally make at least two live games a season (used to be 3 in those far off days when we reached round 3 of the cup regularly).

1.It's what mfurok was referring to .

2. I'm well aware that some of the kids have been playing outstandingly well thanks.But they should never have been chucked into the first team all at the same time,in the first place..Charlie Kelman in particular now either needs a rest or support up front.

3.The last time I was at the Hall was in late October (to see us play Coventry).I normally make at least two live games a season (used to be 3 in those far off days when we reached round 3 of the cup regularly).

Not sure who we would play upfront with Kelman right now as all those available seem to be too similar. Maybe rest him but I am not sure Rush is ready and Goodship looks like he has lost confidence (or the manager doesn't fancy him as a player).

Not having a pop but we didnt play Coventry at home in October

Not sure who we would play upfront with Kelman right now as all those available seem to be too similar. Maybe rest him but I am not sure Rush is ready and Goodship looks like he has lost confidence (or the manager doesn't fancy him as a player).

Not having a pop but we didnt play Coventry at home in October

1Right you are.But I'll be over for a game in September/October in L2 too.Usually book when the fixtures are out in June,

2.As I said either rest Charlie or give him support.I'd like to see him play with Emile personally.Make you right about Rush and Goodship.

Back