• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 2-3 Burton Albion

i said much the same pre match thread and after post match tuesday.
Egbri offers little- (no pun intended)- at least Sol changed it early (by his standards)
Mitchell Nelson- looks like he has a mistake in him every match (I don't blame him, pre match paul clark said he had just spoken to ricky Duncan who said this has come a year to early for Miles).
Dieng has been really good as CB last few games, and has been consistently mehhhh as CM, and can't last 90 mins--- guess what happened today
Clifford - I get as he has played well, and maybe it was tooo early for kyps to play (two games in 5 days) , but if it was an option I would have preferred kyps with clifford in front of him.
no third sub - when to be it clearly wasn't working
I could see why Mantom went straight down the tunnel, everyone gets on his back for the mistakes, and gives him FA credit for the good bits.
I said on the campbell thread that I would rate him when he had options- today he had options and got it wrong.

Keeper- enough has been said, does anyone get it ? Ron said we had agreed terms with Ted, well if we register him then the loanee has to go back anyway (unless we were stringing Ted along looking to see how good the loanee is before making a decision on signing Ted),

Bar the last 5 mins , and laughing at their keeper I didn't enjoy much today, and came away quite angry

Burton were hardly quality - Many/most /all ? of us didn't like the line up and could see issues with it- and we were right- and it gives me sod all pleasure writing that
And I forgot to add , re the keeper and the third goal- would one of our keepers have passed the ball out to Mitchell Nelson? We stopped doing that weeks ago having given away god knows how many goals

Replacing Harry Seadon 18 yrs old with a loanee 19 year old keeper after1 game? Great man management and confidence builder for the lad by the club. Does Sol really think we are staying up?
Who
Watched feeling quite numb to it all today. Not sure I will bother going again this season if I’m honest. No enjoyment anymore.
Thank you for encouraging our young academy players with your support for the future, grin and bear it Austin

What on earth game were you watching? He was awful!

Worked his proverbial socks off - the only one getting near Kelman - should have scored with a header first half, forced our first goal, always looking to play football while others just keep out of the way. It was always going to be difficult in that wind with a few bobbles of the pitch.

didnt read all the threads got tired of seeing how so many so called supporters just continually picked on the mistakes our young men made ,there young they are going to make mistakes ,its all part of the learning process , get over it , try looking at the good things they do instead.be supportive ,your supposed to be supporters. That word supporters so SUPPORT.

Clueless from Campbell not to go 2 up top at any point. Can’t keep just accepting defeats because we have to play kids. That one is on the manager. Even when we got the second he still didn’t throw another striker on. Ridiculous
He really is just as defensive as the last 3 managers if not worse. They were there for the taking if he’d start with Hutch and Barrett. Oh no, the attitude is I will continue to use the kids as an excuse. May as well pack his bags now if ya not going to use the best at your disposal.
What a mess from Martin and Campbell, this was so achievable with a bit of forward thinking to get out of jail from December onwards.....almost as though neither of them wanted to stay up. Won’t be getting out of League two with him in charge.....too head strong and lacking attacking nous. What is the point of a striking coach if you never set up to strike.......as bad as Bond but in a different sort of way!

Mantom stormed off straight down the tunnel after his substitution and I don’t blame him one bit after the ridiculous abuse he gets from the morons.
The only time I’ll stop abusing him is once he’s got his coat and carried on out of the players entrance and into the car ... a bottle job mercenary

Not on your nelly, he won't walk unless Ron pays him off. It's going to be interesting to see who puts up with who best.

I blame one man for today's defeat. The manager picked that side, the manager moved players about, and the manager continues not to pick certain players.

Tim Dieng has looked comfortable at CB, so why on earth did Sol think it was the right thing to do to move him into a midfield three with Milligan and Mantom? This is a formation that FAILED for Bond and for Powell, IIRC. Dieng should have been CB with Shaugnessy, and Mitchell-Nelson should have dropped to the bench, allowing another forward to start alongside the lonely Charlie Kelman. I like Terrell Egbri but he's not really ready, and Barratt would have been a better option to start. And, don't even get me started on Isaac Hutchinson!

Mantom back on set pieces too, what on earth was Sol thinking there? And a loanee GK who is probably less experienced than Harry Seaden - wrong move. Let's just get Ted sorted and into the starting line up for next weekend.
I agree with most of thisOBL, but can’t agree with the Ted Comment. Hope I am wrong but personally I don’t rate Ted Smith as a goalkeeper or as being our saviour.

That game was an indication that time travel is possible and that basic club/player history/knowledge has more value than some may recognise.
Starting with Kyp on Tuesday wasn't a bad move as the rest of the back line had some cohesion BUT putting Shaunhessey in as the defensive leader showed right off that there was no understanding behind an also rejigged midfield. Poor start.
As game went on we did improve, Mantom ought to have got two easy goals and only scored from a huge slice of luck.
Kelman chased etc but lone striker? Really? What is the lad expected to be able to do?
Mantom and Dieng put in usual 6/10 midfield performances, did they ever talk or pass to each other?
Slow start to 2nd half, jeepers, what happens in that dressing room to send them into a daydream?
Substitutes? Odd,
GK doing a Brentford play out from back was an Ipswich game throw back with a similar result of a gift for Burton.
Not good enough on the pitch and in the dugout. I left this game feeling let down by some of the team and management.

Yes, it is a results business BUT I also want to be entertained and interested in where we are going, yesterday WAS a few steps backwards AND depressing in that it was avoidable.

I agree with most of thisOBL, but can’t agree with the Ted Comment. Hope I am wrong but personally I don’t rate Ted Smith as a goalkeeper or as being our saviour.

I've seen a couple of training sessions while he's been back training with us, and he's looked up to standard. I would suggest he may need a bit of match sharpness and to get used to defenders, but he's a former England GK, up to and including U20 level. I certainly think he's better than any of the 3 we've seen recently.

Very disappointed in yesterday.

Mantom was poor in the fact that a lot of things he tried went wrong, but he kept trying and worked hard and tried to support Kelman as much as he could.

Dieng proved he is better at CB. A very strange decision from Sol.

We have to play one up front as thats all we have with Hump injured. You could try Kelman and Rush, but I don’t think that would work and would leave us even more exposed with our poor midfield.

Please stop the clamour for a Barrett to start just because we lost. He has been very poor starting the last few games, but does do well as a sub, and was bright yesterday when he came on. One decision Sol did get right.

Milligan was ok, he did a lot of good stuff, and played one sublime cross field volley, but he can get beaten too easily. He needs athletic players around him to cover for his lack of pace, and if they were there, I think he would be a much better player.

I don’t get why Hutchinson wasn’t brought on for the last 15 mins. Another poor decision.

My forecast for the week, Ron pays his bills, embargo is lifted, we sign the Macclesfield players and Ted Smith, everyone is feeling optimistic, we get thumped 5-0 at Oxford.

In a season of records for worst this and worst that......Surely this has to be the worst Post match tread?

Its obvious that with some of you its not just Sols tactics which you don't like....The real reason is cant be mentioned as politics are banned.

What on earth game were you watching? He was awful!
I thought Mantom was neither awful or the man of the match, did some things very well but also made some very poor passes..but the way the crowd gets on his back is unacceptable, picking on one player when other’s had much worse games then him.

It is all very frustrating, turning into laughable, but I really do not get booing him off at the end and don’t blame him one bit for going straight down the tunnel, bet he can’t wait to leave in the summer.

For me Milligan and Dieng had far worse games and Shaughnessy was very weak at the back from the so called ‘senior pro’s’

The only senior pro’s I want here next season are White and Macca, the rest can all leave and we rebuild as per 2010 with a whole new team and 2 or 3 of the more promising youngsters!

We have to play one up front as thats all we have with Hump injured. You could try Kelman and Rush, but I don’t think that would work and would leave us even more exposed with our poor midfield.

No it's not, what about Goodship? What about Acquah? Or even Rush?

Its obvious that with some of you its not just Sols tactics which you don't like....The real reason is cant be mentioned as politics are banned.

I'm not sure what you think is remotely political about the reasons some of us don't rate Sol?

I thought Mantom was neither awful or the man of the match, did some things very well but also made some very poor passes..but the way the crowd gets on his back is unacceptable, picking on one player when other’s had much worse games then him.

It is all very frustrating, turning into laughable, but I really do not get booing him off at the end and don’t blame him one bit for going straight down the tunnel, bet he can’t wait to leave in the summer.

For me Milligan and Dieng had far worse games and Shaughnessy was very weak at the back from the so called ‘senior pro’s’

The only senior pro’s I want here next season are White and Macca, the rest can all leave and we rebuild as per 2010 with a whole new team and 2 or 3 of the more promising youngsters!

Won more 50/50 headers in a game than Dieng ever has and cleared one off the line to save it being 4-1.

Won more 50/50 headers in a game than Dieng ever has and cleared one off the line to save it being 4-1.
If you are writing about Joe S, then yes, he certainly saved a goal lateon; AND he got better as the game went on SO if Sol was finding out about his players then that was a learning curve.
As I put, Mantom and Dieng had average games, both frustrate enormously as midfielders & a "double pair" of frustrating players centre of the game does give big negative vibes; Brown eventually got it, as did CP & in Sol's idea of Dieng as CB I had hopes he had too, maybe at 16.30pm(ish) yesterday he did BUT then made wrong substitution and maybe Dieng should have been taken off?
All this continuing "In the Know" stuff is annoying; my main want to know is who, of the players we have left, WANTS to be here next season as the rest may as well get their speedos on now and go.

Back