• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v York City, Saturday 10th August, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and Result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 123 92.5%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 124 93.2%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 115 86.5%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 122 91.7%
  • Joe Gubbins

Votes: 47 35.3%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 114 85.7%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 119 89.5%
  • Cav Miley

Votes: 120 90.2%
  • James Morton

Votes: 78 58.6%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 104 78.2%
  • Josh Walker

Votes: 115 86.5%
  • Danny Waldron

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 122 91.7%
  • Adam Crowther

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • George Wind

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Beau Macdonald

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Mikey Faulkner

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 4 3.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Win

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Lose

Votes: 16 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We amassed enough points to get into the play off last season with a squad of 13/14 players, squad on strike in pre season....etc etc etc, such debilitating circumstances off the field. They are now gone, we have a squad with more coming....are you suggesting that we should be happy with regression in terms of points amassed given the uptick off the field.
I'm saying, lets not put too much pressure on them. They've done a remarkable job, and we owe them. I say we give them our full support (even if results aren't going our way). What will be, will be. COYB

the greatest squad of players in our history ? 🤣 I take it you never saw Collymore, Eastwood, Gower etc
...and of course, mostly more skilful.
BUT shouldn't there be degrees of difficulty like a diving comp?
Was it harder for that trio, or for the squad last season? Against all odds, we were a nose from the play-offs amid embargoes; late wages, and uncertainty from first to last.
That's why Kev was manager of the season and not Paul Cook.
That's why I thought for the time he was at Accy Stanley, John Coleman should have been manager of the season, every season.
You and I could do a job at Man City providing we massaged egos...

We amassed enough points to get into the play off last season with a squad of 13/14 players, squad on strike in pre season....etc etc etc, such debilitating circumstances off the field. They are now gone, we have a squad with more coming....are you suggesting that we should be happy with regression in terms of points amassed given the uptick off the field.
I agree with you and Kev will have to deal with a different pressure/expectation now. However, this is the real unknown for all concerned. That goes for the players and the management team. They have only ever worked in a siege mentality environment and flourished, but they haven't dealt with expectation. It is a totally different feeling and mindset.

Even last year, there were plenty of jokes that the players played better when they weren't paid and the moment they did, they played worse. Obviously that was tongue in cheek but there is a little truth in there somewhere. We all had an, 'us against the world' (against Ron) mentality and that has now gone. One hopes Kev can still get that fighting spirit amongst the squad, we haven't seen that from Kev yet in normal circumstances.

As I say, it's the unknown and if a promotion push isn't forthcoming straight away, we need to be patient with how much has changed in such a short period of time. It can sometimes take time to adjust.

the greatest squad of players in our history ? 🤣 I take it you never saw Collymore, Eastwood, Gower etc
First season was 1982.
In terms of ability...of course Powell, prior, Eastwood, collymore, butler, ansah etc all are superior talent wise.
But my word the squad of the last two years have overcome more adversity than all those legends put together. Not being paid, woeful training facilities, points deducted, yet they fought and scrapped, never gave in. Put every ounce of their energy into games when we had no right to even compete let alone win. Ots a rare thing when a football team cares every bit as much as we do in the stands, we've been blessed to have just that, I love this squad for so many reasons and it doesn't have much to do with football.

Again my rating of this squad and the esteem I hold them in has little to do with football.
I’m 100% with you on this. This group of players and management have gone above and beyond for the club. It’s not always about the football. Also in 44 years of supporting I’ve never known a togetherness as a group and with the fans. This group of players including the likes of Wes and Powell should never be forgotten

• First game of the new ownership (feels amazing to actually be able to type those words for real!!)
  • Packed house
  • Roots Hall sparkling
  • Fancy new scoreboard
  • ‘Enhanced production’ from DAZN (whatever the hell that means)

It’s a nailed on 0-1 isn’t it?

• First game of the new ownership (feels amazing to actually be able to type those words for real!!)
  • Packed house
  • Roots Hall sparkling
  • Fancy new scoreboard

Peak Southend.

Ollie Pearce with the only goal, off his backside, just to add more salt.

I'm saying, lets not put too much pressure on them. They've done a remarkable job, and we owe them. I say we give them our full support (even if results aren't going our way). What will be, will be. COYB
ffs the apologists
  • Packed house
  • Roots Hall sparkling
  • Fancy new scoreboard

Luckily you win the game on the field.. as for not putting to much pressure on the players. Oooh come on, this is a professional game played by men, by playing in front of a sell out crowd singing and chanting your name should give anyone a slight bit of pressure, at some point this club has to turn the tide.. If they didn't like pressure I am sure they would have stayed at Billericay and Solihull reserves.

As for the itinerary of non football related new stuff ( a clean stadium , you really should have added a painted club shop!!) I think you get the idea, football is 11 v 11 and won on the field and not on the forums of partizan supports, hence why I really do think we will be going home disappointed this weekend, very happy to be proved wrong, but cant help but feel we are ever so slightly undercooked in preparedness and players good enough to win tough games.. I am sure things will pan out over the season of course.

I can see the Echo front page now:

Saturday Called Off.

On Police advice, Saturday has been cancelled as a precaution due to the risk of a riot. As a result, Sunday will immediately follow Friday. A spokesperson from W block, Roots Hall, condemned the decision and said it would make no difference to their plans to riot in The Railway.

Just seen that cricket at Chelmsford and Cliff pavilion tonight were both cancelled due to the risk of protestors and rioting. Bloody hope this doesn’t impact on our game Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back