• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v York City, Saturday 10th August, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and Result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 123 92.5%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 124 93.2%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 115 86.5%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 122 91.7%
  • Joe Gubbins

Votes: 47 35.3%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 114 85.7%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 119 89.5%
  • Cav Miley

Votes: 120 90.2%
  • James Morton

Votes: 78 58.6%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 104 78.2%
  • Josh Walker

Votes: 115 86.5%
  • Danny Waldron

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 122 91.7%
  • Adam Crowther

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • George Wind

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Beau Macdonald

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Mikey Faulkner

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 4 3.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Win

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Lose

Votes: 16 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve always been a fan of Wood but this has to be the season he pushes on and establishes himself. He’s got talent but aside from the odd flash he’s not had the hoped for impact. He could be a real creative spark and a worry for defences if only he can hit those levels. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

I’ve always been a fan of Wood but this has to be the season he pushes on and establishes himself. He’s got talent but aside from the odd flash he’s not had the hoped for impact. He could be a real creative spark and a worry for defences if only he can hit those levels. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻
I agree, he has plenty to offer. He needs to push on , what is his best position? Is he a striker? midfielder? winger? or bit of all 3 ? which maybe the problem as we play a very structured "chess" game with set up and tactics.

Back on topic, I think Kev will go with the below lineup, everyone being fit. Hopefully the team can tap into the positive atmosphere and give us a footballing masterclass. Ain’t it great to have our club back?

Collin
Gus - Kensdale - Taylor - Ralph - Bridge
Morton - Miley
Coker
Cardwell - Walker
Pedder could be "hat/rabbit" selection in place of Morton in midfield start?

Like many games this early in the season its hard to call. We have a tough start on paper especially away from home. Saturday is going to be a day of celebration, a new era, a sold out Roots Hall. Lets hope the boys can do the business on the pitch so not put a dampner on the day. Think it will be a tough game but fancy us to win 2-0. This is potentially a huge season for the club home and away and Kev and the lads need our support as always. W block normally sets the tone so lets get the whole ground rocking

Colin
Gus Taylor Kensdale Gubbins Ralph
Miley Morton
Bridge
Cardwell Walker

Waldron, Wood, Coker, Beau, Wind, Faulkner

Spoke to Crowther and Noor last week. Noor hopeful of being fit for Hartlepool, Crowther slightly behind

Like many games this early in the season its hard to call. We have a tough start on paper especially away from home. Saturday is going to be a day of celebration, a new era, a sold out Roots Hall. Lets hope the boys can do the business on the pitch so not put a dampner on the day. Think it will be a tough game but fancy us to win 2-0. This is potentially a huge season for the club home and away and Kev and the lads need our support as always. W block normally sets the tone so lets get the whole ground rocking

Colin
Gus Taylor Kensdale Gubbins Ralph
Miley Morton
Bridge
Cardwell Walker

Waldron, Wood, Coker, Beau, Wind, Faulkner

Spoke to Crowther and Noor last week. Noor hopeful of being fit for Hartlepool, Crowther slightly behind

Exactly this.

Let's get roots Hall rocking from the off and get the wind in the sails of the players.

A good win, a big crowd and off we go.

I have no idea why there have been calls to move Bridge. He has been so consistent for two years in his position. He was the best performer in the league in his position last season in terms of stats and chances created. Bridge and his step overs are not the issue (even if there is an issue). Chance conversation is the only gripe we really have. Let Bridge carry on creating chances and hopefully the addition of Walker will help with that conversation rate.

I have no idea why there have been calls to move Bridge. He has been so consistent for two years in his position. He was the best performer in the league in his position last season in terms of stats and chances created. Bridge and his step overs are not the issue (even if there is an issue). Chance conversation is the only gripe we really have. Let Bridge carry on creating chances and hopefully the addition of Walker will help with that conversation rate.
Agreed. Ralph is not a great lwb option either and never succeeded when played there.

Team picks itself as per Chelmsford with hopefully a more aggressive new season points mean prizes approach.

My optimist says 2-0 my head says 0-0. Maher will play it tight first game much like all the games last season when we needed to stop the rot and play ourselves into momentum.

I get that, but as things stand we have a surplus of centre backs who could start and a lack of attacking midfielders. As Bridge has played as an attacking central midfielder before it might make sense, until we sign someone else, to play Gubbins at LCB, Ralph at LWB and Bridge in central midfield in place of Morton or Coker.

Tricky call, but that’s Kev’s job, and there will certainly be no shortage of opinions on here!

As @Boreham Blue said, if that had been the plan then surely they would have tried it at Chelmsford. However, maybe it was a bluff in case York had some scouts there!

I get that, but as things stand we have a surplus of centre backs who could start and a lack of attacking midfielders. As Bridge has played as an attacking central midfielder before it might make sense, until we sign someone else, to play Gubbins at LCB, Ralph at LWB and Bridge in central midfield in place of Morton or Coker.

Tricky call, but that’s Kev’s job, and there will certainly be no shortage of opinions on here!

As @Boreham Blue said, if that had been the plan then surely they would have tried it at Chelmsford. However, maybe it was a bluff in case York had some scouts there!
I get what you are saying but Bridge has played the CAM role before and he's been awful.

We scored the majority of our goals last season coming through Jack. He also created a shed load of chances that weren't converted from that role too. There is no reason to change it.

Yes, we need a CAM, but changing Bridge and putting square pegs in round holes is something we are getting away from. Coker can fill in there for now until we sign someone.

There seems to be a premise that we need to be defensively tighter and Bridge is the problem. We had the best defence in the league with Bridge in it. We don't need to fix what isn't broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back