• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v York City, Saturday 10th August, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and Result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 123 92.5%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 124 93.2%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 115 86.5%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 122 91.7%
  • Joe Gubbins

Votes: 47 35.3%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 114 85.7%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 119 89.5%
  • Cav Miley

Votes: 120 90.2%
  • James Morton

Votes: 78 58.6%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 104 78.2%
  • Josh Walker

Votes: 115 86.5%
  • Danny Waldron

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 122 91.7%
  • Adam Crowther

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • George Wind

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Beau Macdonald

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Mikey Faulkner

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 4 3.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Win

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Lose

Votes: 16 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what you are saying but Bridge has played the CAM role before and he's been awful.

We scored the majority of our goals last season coming through Jack. He also created a shed load of chances that weren't converted from that role too. There is no reason to change it.

Yes, we need a CAM, but changing Bridge and putting square pegs in round holes is something we are getting away from. Coker can fill in there for now until we sign someone.

There seems to be a premise that we need to be defensively tighter and Bridge is the problem. We had the best defence in the league with Bridge in it. We don't need to fix what isn't broken.
I don’t disagree with most of that, other than the square pegs in round holes bit - Gubbins is a left sided centre back, Ralph came to us as a left back and Bridge started as an attacking midfielder. There is therefore an argument that if they started in those positions on Saturday we’d be moving them back from round to square holes!

All about opinions, at least we’ve got some options - even with a small squad, and at least we’ve still got a club to have these kind of debates!

I doubt whether Gubbins will start purely on the fact that he has recently joined (unless there is an injury) as Kev in my eyes has always been that you play for the shirt but I believe his time will come

York have the former Worthing manager in charge now and he is renowned for favouring attacking football, his teams score plenty. Hopefully we can stand firm and take advantage of chances that come our way. For those that like a bet, both teams to score should pay off.

The only way the atmosphere will be flat is if we are 2 or 3 nil down at half time.
We can't let the place go flat.

I'm a firm believer that even when you are losing. You support your team till the end.

You get 90 minutes a week to support your club and some people can't be bothered to even clap 🫨

Do your part this season. For this club, these players and your city 🦐

I don’t disagree with most of that, other than the square pegs in round holes bit - Gubbins is a left sided centre back, Ralph came to us as a left back and Bridge started as an attacking midfielder. There is therefore an argument that if they started in those positions on Saturday we’d be moving them back from round to square holes!

All about opinions, at least we’ve got some options - even with a small squad, and at least we’ve still got a club to have these kind of debates!
I wasn't refering to the defense but solely about Bridge. He hasn't played that role since breaking through from our youth team into the 1st team. His spells thereafter consisted of him playing wide. For Bromley, he was a winger in a 4-4-2 system.

As I stated, he has played CAM for us and it really hasn't gone well and we have then had nothing out wide left. That left hand side is one of the most productive in the league and that is one part of our team that should not change, even if we are lacking in the CAM area. I'd rather have Coker in there for a few games until we sign someone and keep the assists and chances coming in from the left.

I wasn't refering to the defense but solely about Bridge. He hasn't played that role since breaking through from our youth team into the 1st team. His spells thereafter consisted of him playing wide. For Bromley, he was a winger in a 4-4-2 system.

As I stated, he has played CAM for us and it really hasn't gone well and we have then had nothing out wide left. That left hand side is one of the most productive in the league and that is one part of our team that should not change, even if we are lacking in the CAM area. I'd rather have Coker in there for a few games until we sign someone and keep the assists and chances coming in from the left.
Did he play the CAM role successfully at Chelmsford, possibly when Maher was manager there? My memory is a bit hazy. If so, maybe that’s why Maher keeps trying him there (albeit, as you correctly say mainly unsuccessfully).

I just tried to research his Chelmsford days and found an article in the Echo when Phil Brown says the following about Bridge:

IMG_9418.jpeg

Given it’s a Jack Payne type player we’re crying out for, it may be no wonder Kev might be yearning for Bridge to fulfil his early promise in that role.

Did he play the CAM role successfully at Chelmsford, possibly when Maher was manager there? My memory is a bit hazy. If so, maybe that’s why Maher keeps trying him there (albeit, as you correctly say mainly unsuccessfully).

I just tried to research his Chelmsford days and found an article in the Echo when Phil Brown says the following about Bridge:

View attachment 33284

Given it’s a Jack Payne type player we’re crying out for, it may be no wonder Kev might be yearning for Bridge to fulfil his early promise in that role.
But that was a long time ago (around 8 years). His career could have gone down that route but it didn't. He is a wide player and best suited there. He is 28 now and asking him to change his position now (even if he played there 8 years ago) is a big ask. Totally different end of the spectrum but look at Bale and Saka, both played left back and ended up as attackers. Players find their position and if they are flourishing there, they shouldn't be changed. Especially when we've seen that change in action and it hasn't worked.

But that was a long time ago (around 8 years). His career could have gone down that route but it didn't. He is a wide player and best suited there. He is 28 now and asking him to change his position now (even if he played there 8 years ago) is a big ask. Totally different end of the spectrum but look at Bale and Saka, both played left back and ended up as attackers. Players find their position and if they are flourishing there, they shouldn't be changed. Especially when we've seen that change in action and it hasn't worked.
We'll have to agree to disagree, although to be honest I think I agree with you! I was just putting across that there is an alternative point of view which doesn't involve leaving Joe Gubbins or Nathan Ralph on the bench.

I wonder if we will have Demi on the subs bench as a back up keeper. I recall we used to have Terry Alderton on the bench as a back up keeper and he is a comedian

York have the former Worthing manager in charge now and he is renowned for favouring attacking football, his teams score plenty. Hopefully we can stand firm and take advantage of chances that come our way. For those that like a bet, both teams to score should pay off.
So you favour Wood?

Why "must" it now change to a successful season ?
We amassed enough points to get into the play off last season with a squad of 13/14 players, squad on strike in pre season....etc etc etc, such debilitating circumstances off the field. They are now gone, we have a squad with more coming....are you suggesting that we should be happy with regression in terms of points amassed given the uptick off the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back