• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Oldham Athletic, Saturday 5th August, 15:00ko, NL, All Ticket no pay on the day

Starting XI and result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 109 79.6%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 107 78.1%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 97 70.8%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 106 77.4%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 106 77.4%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 102 74.5%
  • Cav Miley

Votes: 105 76.6%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 94 68.6%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 83 60.6%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 107 78.1%
  • Callum Powell

Votes: 65 47.4%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 82 59.9%
  • Dan Mooney

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Louis Lomas

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Win

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Lose

Votes: 54 39.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really sure why people think we’ll get absolutely battered?

I get the lack of squad, but IF we get no injuries on the day then that first 11 is a competitive side.

We might slip to a loss but doubt they’ll be ripping through us at will?
Absolutely. We are a bit undercooked in preseason and the pitch could be a factor (worryingly from an injury perspective - thinking Cardwell here especially) but our first XI even now is mid table quality at least IMO.

Irrespective of our lack if pre season preparation Kev has a settled side and should compete but as last season we struggle to score goals which unfortunately couldn't be addressed and that will be our undoing again until he can add to the squad

Irrespective of our lack if pre season preparation Kev has a settled side and should compete but as last season we struggle to score goals which unfortunately couldn't be addressed and that will be our undoing again until he can add to the squad
I think this could be a key factor - it's about the only benefit of the embargo really that because Kev has been unable to add to his squad for nearly 11 months, the players who will start tomorrow (barring any 11th hour surprise signings) will all be settled in the area, settled at the club, know their team-mates strengths and weaknesses and their own role in the team. Only Harry Taylor is likely to be playing in a position any different to what they played for pretty much the whole of last season.

It will probably be the following team tomorrow:

Andeng-Ndi

Taylor Kensdale Ralph

Scott-Morris Miley Husin Fonguck Bridge

Powell Cardwell

Subs: Wood, Mooney, Coker, ????, ????​

That's not a bad starting XI at all and one which got us to the brink of the play-offs last season. OK so there's absolutely no strength in depth and if we get an injury then we're stuffed!

I was at the away game at Oldham towards the end of last season. The result was a 2-0 defeat but we completely played them off the park until the goal they scored towards the end of the first half completely against the run of play (and through self-inflicted kamikaze defending and goalkeeping!). Have a look at the highlights and see who has the most chances:

OK, so they will have strengthened since then but new signings take a while to bed in so let's hope we give it a real good go tomorrow.

Last edited:
Interesting that spending seems to be the order of the day to get out of this league now. Stockport, Wrexham and Notts County have all done it. Now Chesterfield and Oldham are trying. Yes there is the lottery of the playoffs, but you have to spend to take that top spot now.

Our biggest problem last season was scoring goals and looking at our current 11, you'd say the same. Chesterfield have Grigg and Oldham have Norwood. You have to score goals to do well in this league. Hopefully if there is something positive with the takeover, we can address that.

In the meantime, we just have to remain behind the team and not have too many expectations. Utb!
The other one who is doing it is Scunthorpe. And they’re doing it from NLN!

I think this could be a key factor - it's about the only benefit of the embargo really that because Kev has been unable to add to his squad for nearly 11 months, the players who will start tomorrow (barring any 11th hour surprise signings) will all be settled in the area, settled at the club, know their team-mates strengths and weaknesses and their own role in the team. Only Harry Taylor is likely to be playing in a position any different to what they played for pretty much the whole of last season.

Andeng-Ndi

Taylor Kensdale Ralph

Powell Cardwell

That's not a bad starting XI at all and one which got us to the brink of the play-offs last season. OK so there's absolutely no strength in depth and if we get an injury then we're stuffed!

I was at the away game at Oldham towards the end of last season. The result was a 2-0 defeat but we completely played them off the park until the goal they scored towards the end of the first half completely against the run of play (and through self-inflicted kamikaze defending and goalkeeping!). Have a look at the highlights and see who has the most chances:

OK, so they will have strengthened since then but new signings take a while to bed in so let's hope we give it a real good go tomorrow.
Would you go for Powell over Wood bearing in mind pre-season goal form?

Andeng-Ndi

Taylor Kensdale Ralph

Powell Cardwell

We have

Surely due to our lack of goals Kev will select Wood to play as an attacking midfielder leaving out either Fonguck or Husin. Wood is just the type of midfielder we have been crying out for.

Surely due to our lack of goals Kev will select Wood to play as an attacking midfielder leaving out either Fonguck or Husin. Wood is just the type of midfielder we have been crying out for.
I think his goals have been scored as a forward rather than as an attacking midfielder. If you want him for his goal potential he should be replacing Powell not Fonguck or Husin.

Wood has to start IMO due to his form in a limited pre season. What message does it send to him if he doesn’t?

Is that Shaun Hobson?
Our problem at right back is that we don’t have one 🤣 we played our young central defender out of position last season and he did well enough but could be exposed at times…we are supposedly in for someone and should sign him next week but you will potentially have some joy down that side…don’t tell the other Latics fans that I told you though, it’s our secret 👍

Anyway you’ll be too busy trying to stop our 5 strikers scoring hopefully 🤣 including James Norwood who we are all getting giddy about

Our problem at right back is that we don’t have one 🤣 we played our young central defender out of position last season and he did well enough but could be exposed at times…we are supposedly in for someone and should sign him next week but you will potentially have some joy down that side…don’t tell the other Latics fans that I told you though, it’s our secret 👍

Anyway you’ll be too busy trying to stop our 5 strikers scoring hopefully 🤣 including James Norwood who we are all getting giddy about
Don’t underestimate our starting 11…. Yes we have a small squad.. but our 11 are still decent

Your midfield needs to have significantly improved since April or you will struggle to get the ball to Norwood. That 2-0 defeat was an absolute travesty!

I actually expect it to be a close game, the problem for us is if things need changing or we get injuries, we have real issues.

Your midfield needs to have significantly improved since April or you will struggle to get the ball to Norwood. That 2-0 defeat was an absolute travesty!

I actually expect it to be a close game, the problem for us is if things need changing or we get injuries, we have real issues.
This is what concerns me. If I was the Oldham gaffer I'd be on the strikers to stick one on Collin early doors...then we are in big trouble.

I think his goals have been scored as a forward rather than as an attacking midfielder. If you want him for his goal potential he should be replacing Powell not Fonguck or Husin.
There’s also the issue that if we use Wood as a midfielder we’d have to use him in our midfield three when we’re defending in a 5-3-2. I don’t think this gets the best out of him, so it’s better to use him as a striker. Same goes for Mooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back