• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Sutton United

Having had time to step back and calm down im going to try and not over react to what was a very disappointing afternoon. For as good as we were Tuesday the same old story reared it’s ugly head today.

Our inability to kill teams off when we are in control of a game is becoming very frustrating. Sutton were poor first half and we absolutely bossed the half without playing quite as well but still created enough chances to be 2 or 3 up. Pepple the main culprit to which he highlighted himself in his interview after the game

York, Dagenham, Sutton at home and Oldham away. Four games where we were 1-0 up and failed to win any of them. We simply have to be better in the final third and this isn’t the first season we’ve been saying that

Today we shot ourselves in the foot. Tuesday we were praising the back three today they had a shocker and gifted Sutton a way back in the game. But we don’t keep clean sheets, the two we have we’ve won and obvs drew away to Hartlepool another game where we misfired in front of goal

Playing out from the back, when it works it looks great but we are a NL side with NL players. We take too many risks and as a result the ball goes back to Colin who simply isn’t good enough with his feet. Great shot stopper but not with his feet. Either we need to get the ball forward quicker or try Hillson in goal. You assume coming from Arsenal he would be more than used to playing with his feet

Are we too nice? The answer is yes. Sutton were a horrible thuggish dirty side. The subs that all came on were units to go with the units they already had on the pitch. The 3 and 6 were both lucky to stay on the pitch for continuously holding on to Pepple at every opportunity. But we simply aren’t that type of team, you have to have a bit of both. Husin, Coker, Morton, KAF, Miley, Gus, Ralph, Bridge etc are all good footballers but won’t win you a scrappy match. We struggle against teams like this time and time again. Even Walker and Waldron struggle with the physical side. Today Sutton bullied us and we had no answer

Final third. I know we had the embargo and we missed out on targets but we simply need to find a proven scorer from somewhere who is fit and ready to go. I actually quite like Pepple but he a squad player at best. Bonne could have had three goals already but he deserves some time to get up to speed but I would like to see him start Tuesday even for 60-65 minutes. Walker hopefully will be back soon but we need at least one if not two more in with Waldron out for a period of time. I do accept however that it takes time. Just have to hope there is a gem somewhere waiting to sign.

Successful teams score goals all over. Cardwell now departed had 1. Otherwise our goals this season have come from our WBs. We simply don’t score enough from our CBs or midfield. That needs to be addressed

Tuesday, really would like to see a few changes. I see Daggers smashed Gateshead tonight playing 4-3-3. Maybe kev it’s time to change things up. But then I think we do create chances, more than enough today to win the game even after conceding three. So it’s maybe a personnel issue more than a formation issue. However, give Bonne a start, maybe Wood, maybe MAF. Bridge just doesn’t look right at the moment so maybe give him a game off. Fylde are there for the taking and the thought of travelling there and back Tuesday without three points is a hard thought to take in.

I’ve seen on some socials that people are suggesting Kevs time is up. Jesus give your heads a wobble. We do play some lovely stuff but it’s that killer instinct that we are lacking at the moment. But Kev certainly deserves time and some.

Another great attendance but we’ve left disappointed. Barnet won today in front of probably less than 2000 and Daggers probably less than 1500. It’s hard to take. What I’d give for us to beat Gateshead 6-1 in front of 7000 but we know it probably is delusional to think that possible. So we go again Tuesday and despite today disappointment if we can win Tuesday I think we’d be 8th so not all bad.

Weird game. We bossed the first half without really getting out of second gear. Fantastic take by GSM, likely adding another £50k to his current value

Thought we moved the ball well, but should have taken one of those umpteen chances. Of course, when you don’t take your chances, we know what can happen. What we absolutely do not need was a horrendous mistake from ourselves to gift them a chance.

Second half, Sutton started brighter but we still looked comfortable. Need to see it back, but at the time I felt we were the masters of our own downfall once again. Colin - love the guy - but he’s ****ing me off. Every single game, it’s a miss-kick, a sideways pass, a sliced clearance.

We still had chances to get back into it & Bonne alone will look back on the chances he had and wonder what happened.

Third goal, on the counter attack, game over.

Oh, and not sure who Sutton’s first scorer was. Quite an odd character. The personification of a keyboard warrior. Don’t remember his name. I wonder if his parents know it? Anyway, we’ll probably never hear from him again, so It’s understandable why he got excited during his 12 seconds of fame.

Ref was a card nonce.
Do we know whether or not GSM has a buy out clause? If he does, his value won't have increased at all and it might be cause or concern.

So we didn't have a points deduction
We were not under Embargo
Ron was shovelling loads of money into the club

That was all just Hyper Bole (Exaggeration) not sure which of the above I have exaggerated!
How long were we under an embargo from and to, how many days?
The points deduction prevented us from 6th place last season, which doesn’t guarantee promotion by any stretch of the imagination, the season before we did not make play offs by a good 10 points, with no deduction, led by KM. Ron Martin hasn’t been investing in the squad sufficiently for many years and long before Kev arrived, what’s your point?

I’m saying that your “facts” are not clear cut, but the way you present them sound like they are absolute barriers to what would have been successes. They are less than ideal challenges, but have no bearing on games like today where I can’t say I would have had many of their XI over ours, yet we got beaten on ugly tactics… and the buck has to stop somewhere if we can’t adapt our game when we need a plan B.

One fact for you, we lost today.
Another is we’re 17th.

Not a time to overreact, but very poor second half display. So frustrating in that we throwed the points away today.

Collin’s kicking and distribution is becoming a real problem. His confidence has clearly gone in that department. As good a shot stopper as he, he needs to sort out that part of his game otherwise we will need another keeper.

Crowther for me is a more limited version of Kemsdale and Husin hasn’t been firing for me yet this season….appreciating he didn't really get a pre season.

I think Bonne when he gets up to speed could be good..definitely a player there. We need to put this one behind us and move on quickly. 10 points from 8 games is not good enough really This looks to be a more wide open league then the last few seasons.

I've got to be honest, okay I'm bloody cross and annoyed...but I don't think we played terrible. We didn't lose because we were absolutely awful, we've had 65-70% of the game and had 10 shots on target (the powder puff ones do count).

Another day we could have scored a hatful. We've made some dreadful mistakes and got punished.

It's annoying and it's not great but the proof will be the reaction afterwards. It's one game, we were ****housed all game and didn't know how to answer it today but with that magical moment it could've been different - like a second goal that we needed so desperately.

If we play again and don't learn from our mistakes then I'll be upset of course. We could've been Gateshead who must be the worst team in the league (to lose 7.1 and still my favourites for promotion).
Off topic but wow, where did that Gateshead result come from? Daggers certainly aren’t good enough to be winning any game by 6 goals!

How long were we under an embargo from and to, how many days?
The points deduction prevented us from 6th place last season, which doesn’t guarantee promotion by any stretch of the imagination, the season before we did not make play offs by a good 10 points, with no deduction, led by KM. Ron Martin hasn’t been investing in the squad sufficiently for many years and long before Kev arrived, what’s your point?

I’m saying that your “facts” are not clear cut, but the way you present them sound like they are absolute barriers to what would have been successes. They are less than ideal challenges, but have no bearing on games like today where I can’t say I would have had many of their XI over ours, yet we got beaten on ugly tactics… and the buck has to stop somewhere if we can’t adapt our game when we need a plan B.

One fact for you, we lost today.
Another is we’re 17th.
You are absolutely right and I really apologise and the fact that Kev and the new owners have not in the space of 57 days since 19th July when the final deal was concluded not turned us into a promotion certainty is a shocking state of affairs>
Good Night!

Wellas a kid watching the carnival each year in Southend i always noticed what followed ,as the saying goes after the Lord Mayors show comes the sh*t cart Why am i up this early its 3-17am here in Gensan , i couldnt sleep didnt watch or stay up to listen to the game was in bed by 10-00pm last night but woke up early and i knew we had lost before i came on here .Says a lot when the best ratings were for Pepple and Forson . May i ask did the players after the match along with Kev and co walk around and apologise to every support that spent good money to watch the crap you all say they put on .Anyway like ive said preseason there is no way we will get promoted this season, Now im interested in what Wiggy has to say about this game and also what COSU are now thinking as myself i will stick to what ive said a few times we need a midfield hard nut in the mould of Mc CORMACK plus a hard man in defence in the mould of Barrett to lead this team .

Ref allowed Sutton to get away with their gameplay today and had a complete shocker.. they were allowed to bully us all game. Colin didn’t have his greatest performance today and despite being a quality goalkeeper, one of the best in the league imo, his kicking is beginning to test the patience of a few as it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. The defence was clearly affected by Colin’s nervousness and it cost us today, I never thought I’d feel like we dropped 3 points from a 3-1 loss but we really were our own downfall today.

Very disappointing performance today but as they say don’t get too up when you win or too down when you lose. We were out muscled by a thuggish team, helped by a poor ref. We need to learn how to play against teams of cloggers. Maybe their way of playing is how you get out of this league but I wouldn’t want to watch that every week.
On a personal note, I would like to say how pleased I was to finally meet Cricko and have a chat with him along with Tinks and Smiffy. All great Shrimpers!

A feature that seems to have changed is that GSM doesn’t seem to like a long throw anymore. He shapes for one and then goes to a short one. Most often this leads to nothing. Today he did one which skimmed off the head of a defender and bobbled around the 6 yard box. He then reverted to short ones, two of which were played straight back to him and went out. I can only assume this is a coaching decision but I don’t get why you don’t play the odds and get it in the danger area at the first opportunity.

Ref allowed Sutton to get away with their gameplay today and had a complete shocker.. they were allowed to bully us all game. Colin didn’t have his greatest performance today and despite being a quality goalkeeper, one of the best in the league imo, his kicking is beginning to test the patience of a few as it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. The defence was clearly affected by Colin’s nervousness and it cost us today, I never thought I’d feel like we dropped 3 points from a 3-1 loss but we really were our own downfall today.
I don't think I've ever seen a referee be so fastidious with the ball and where it is placed when taking free-kicks.

Off topic but wow, where did that Gateshead result come from? Daggers certainly aren’t good enough to be winning any game by 6 goals!

We’re a very good side just going under the radar and made Gateshead look like a pub team, been coming a result like this for us, seasons still early days just because they had not lost doesn’t make them best side in the league.

Last edited:
It wasn’t great at all today.

I never felt like we played well at all compared to Tuesday. We always seemed rushed and ill at ease from the very beginning. No time or composure on the ball. I think perhaps over confidence lead to overplaying and putting each other in situations. One with Morton in second half comes to mind, where it was thrown to his right hand side, when he’s all left and had men around him. Not sure if that lead to a goal or not but think it may have.

Kev - Collin can’t do it, just let him kick it out as quick as poss. We can’t concede if the ball is in row Z or in their half. Pick the pieces up from there. We have to understand our limitation. Risk is fine, if you’re George Moncur on the ball.

A feature that seems to have changed is that GSM doesn’t seem to like a long throw anymore. He shapes for one and then goes to a short one. Most often this leads to nothing. Today he did one which skimmed off the head of a defender and bobbled around the 6 yard box. He then reverted to short ones, two of which were played straight back to him and went out. I can only assume this is a coaching decision but I don’t get why you don’t play the odds and get it in the danger area at the first opportunity.
This isn’t new, it happened just as much last season. It still infuriates me though, I understand maybe occasionally mixing in up and playing the short throw/cross combo, but it’s become so predictable that we’re faking the long throw. We hardly ever even get the cross in either when we play short, the one time first half Gus actually did lob it in caused chaos in the box. It’s another example of us overplaying IMO.

We have the basics of a good team. I often think Kevs lack it tactical nous becomes apparent in games like this.

Yes Collin has a shocker, but he's been superb most games for us, it happens. We looked great first half but apart from GSM, who's turned into prime Pele at Right wing back, no one else has the ability to score.

Moncur is superb, but he's only had chance to feed Puddles, who's a trier but a second striker not a main and Choclate Bon Bon who looks very wasteful at the moment.

I'd be tempted to do a Luggy and chuck a defender up top with Puddles - Enter the Gus

well had my sy after reading the comments , but we are just a team of ball players ,when we come up against a team that play the dark arts and are hard we stutter badly ,been the same for a couple of seasons now think Boreham Wood and a couple of other teams ,we need a take no prisoners type midfielder as i said earlier and a Barrett type centre back to harden this team up .

Back