• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Sutton United

Weird game... even till about 10 to go, I felt we could get back into it. Could feel our superior quality individually, but we are still far too ponderous.

So hard to be harsh given the outstanding performance on Tuesday, so will just put this down to a bad day.

Only positives - I though KAF looked to offer something different to the rest of our midfield and a willingness to drive forward, I'd be considering him for a start. Moncur is just a different league to anyone else and Pepple looked bit more at it, doesnt look a natural finisher though. Reminded me of Acquah a bit at times, which probably says all you need to know (his Southend spell, not since he left - though tbf, I quite liked Acquah).

Going to give Bonne a massive benefit of the doubt for now. Couple of real guilt edged chances he absolutely fluffed, and we dont need that, we've had (and got) plenty of forwards that cant score... but all round play and outside the box, could see he's got qualities.

So bad day at the office, individual errors and maybe a wake up call for some who's places will be under threat for Saturday now hopefully (FWIW I'd drop Bridge and start Bonne or KAF)

I’ve seen many comments about squad size and it’s spot on. Cardwell and OK gone and 4 potential first teamers injured. Also seen people mention 3 games in a week has stretched us further. Well we are set to play Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday again in the next week or so. Seen some ITK mention another 2 or 3 being lined up. They need to come in and very quickly otherwise our already stretched team will be at breaking point soon

I’ve seen many comments about squad size and it’s spot on. Cardwell and OK gone and 4 potential first teamers injured. Also seen people mention 3 games in a week has stretched us further. Well we are set to play Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday again in the next week or so. Seen some ITK mention another 2 or 3 being lined up. They need to come in and very quickly otherwise our already stretched team will be at breaking point soon
Spot on and hope you are right re new faces -really need them!

Kev - Collin can’t do it, just let him kick it out as quick as poss. We can’t concede if the ball is in row Z or in their half. Pick the pieces up from there. We have to understand our limitation. Risk is fine, if you’re George Moncur on the ball.
The kick that people are giving Collin grief for was picked up by their player about 1yd into our half - I think we'd still have conceded if that kick was 1yd longer. It wasn't Collins kick that was the problem (I accept it wasn't a brilliant kick) but the defending after it was poor.

The kick that people are giving Collin grief for was picked up by their player about 1yd into our half - I think we'd still have conceded if that kick was 1yd longer. It wasn't Collins kick that was the problem (I accept it wasn't a brilliant kick) but the defending after it was poor.
Appreciate that, but he makes me nervous every time we play the ball back to him. He’s not comfortable at all and we go back to him a lot when IMO it’s not necessary.

Appreciate that, but he makes me nervous every time we play the ball back to him. He’s not comfortable at all and we go back to him a lot when IMO it’s not necessary.
Do you feel the same about crowther/gubbins/Taylor (and Kensdale when he was here) - they all have a mistake in them. It's the risk of the style we play, even man city / Liverpool etc get caught out as well - although less frequently than us

You may be right but Collin does it far too often. He was very lucky to get away with it Tuesday. If we are not going to look for another keeper maybe we should stop tic tacking it around at the back and realise he's an excellent shot stopper but useless at decision making when passing it out 🤷🏼‍♂️ worked well for a crap team this afternoon who made us look total rubbish, which we were for 50 minutes.

1-0 up and comfortable and an unfortunate comedy error by two defenders who’ve barely played a game together led to a well taken and undeserved equaliser. Then a descent into madness. It would have been hard to imagine except we’ve seen it before.

There was a plan B and putting another (somewhat rusty) attacker on for a defender, some fresh legs in midfield and I guess a switch to 442 seemed reasonable but by that time our heads were all over the place and we were shot. Their ‘game management’ was a painful watch. I don’t know what you do about it but some rule change needs to be introduced as it ruins the spectacle.

The protracted sale has cost us, it’s going to be a few weeks until fitness and a gelling happens but there is the talent there to go on a good run but we’re playing catch up yet again.

Collin seems to have lost confidence and that maybe due to what was going on in front of him. Sutton looked like scoring every time they got in our half. More movement required up top is required too, highlighted when Forson spent about a minute doing 360 degree turns looking for an outlet before giving up and laying off 10 metres backwards. A frustrating afternoon.

Sutton were a physical team and we had no answer to it. Their number 3 constantly bullied and cheated all game and got away with it, we had no reply. We seriously need to man up if we want to succeed in this league and do some bullying ouselves, we need a couple of nasty players.
The coaching team wants to play out from the back, that’s all well and good, but to be able to do so they need to have the players capable of being able to do it, I am not sure that they do.
I know Collin didn’t have one of his best games, but his mistakes in distribution are more obvious than the ones that are constantly being made all over the pitch. I think that at these times the fans should be supporting him to help him through a low point not shooting him down..

Yeah I think some pretty harsh criticism of Collin, especially saying the defence are nervous because of him. Funny how they were fine on Tuesday! I just think our back line were a tad sloppy and were caught out today on several occasions and fair play, Sutton capitalised. Crowther especially will learn from that. A few of our lads will wake up with bruised bodies and egos.

Do you feel the same about crowther/gubbins/Taylor (and Kensdale when he was here) - they all have a mistake in them. It's the risk of the style we play, even man city / Liverpool etc get caught out as well - although less frequently than us
I don’t. I just feel Col lets situations develop by taking too long. And opposition are now sensing blood. That Gus out ball you mentioned was on but he dwelt too long and telegraphed it somewhat. It should have cost us against Eastleigh too. I don’t mind long balls then trying to pick off the other side’s errors tbh. How many times do we go back to front anyway? Risk is outweighing reward if quick out ball is not there immediately and is tricky. He currently does not have the ball playing skill to sense the difference. I like him as a keeper, and it’s all magnified in his position, but that’s the nature of our game. Add to that there’s nor the confidence or skill in the backline to take it off him, it’s a perfect storm.

Having had time to step back and calm down im going to try and not over react to what was a very disappointing afternoon. For as good as we were Tuesday the same old story reared it’s ugly head today.

Our inability to kill teams off when we are in control of a game is becoming very frustrating. Sutton were poor first half and we absolutely bossed the half without playing quite as well but still created enough chances to be 2 or 3 up. Pepple the main culprit to which he highlighted himself in his interview after the game

York, Dagenham, Sutton at home and Oldham away. Four games where we were 1-0 up and failed to win any of them. We simply have to be better in the final third and this isn’t the first season we’ve been saying that

Today we shot ourselves in the foot. Tuesday we were praising the back three today they had a shocker and gifted Sutton a way back in the game. But we don’t keep clean sheets, the two we have we’ve won and obvs drew away to Hartlepool another game where we misfired in front of goal

Playing out from the back, when it works it looks great but we are a NL side with NL players. We take too many risks and as a result the ball goes back to Colin who simply isn’t good enough with his feet. Great shot stopper but not with his feet. Either we need to get the ball forward quicker or try Hillson in goal. You assume coming from Arsenal he would be more than used to playing with his feet

Are we too nice? The answer is yes. Sutton were a horrible thuggish dirty side. The subs that all came on were units to go with the units they already had on the pitch. The 3 and 6 were both lucky to stay on the pitch for continuously holding on to Pepple at every opportunity. But we simply aren’t that type of team, you have to have a bit of both. Husin, Coker, Morton, KAF, Miley, Gus, Ralph, Bridge etc are all good footballers but won’t win you a scrappy match. We struggle against teams like this time and time again. Even Walker and Waldron struggle with the physical side. Today Sutton bullied us and we had no answer

Final third. I know we had the embargo and we missed out on targets but we simply need to find a proven scorer from somewhere who is fit and ready to go. I actually quite like Pepple but he a squad player at best. Bonne could have had three goals already but he deserves some time to get up to speed but I would like to see him start Tuesday even for 60-65 minutes. Walker hopefully will be back soon but we need at least one if not two more in with Waldron out for a period of time. I do accept however that it takes time. Just have to hope there is a gem somewhere waiting to sign.

Successful teams score goals all over. Cardwell now departed had 1. Otherwise our goals this season have come from our WBs. We simply don’t score enough from our CBs or midfield. That needs to be addressed

Tuesday, really would like to see a few changes. I see Daggers smashed Gateshead tonight playing 4-3-3. Maybe kev it’s time to change things up. But then I think we do create chances, more than enough today to win the game even after conceding three. So it’s maybe a personnel issue more than a formation issue. However, give Bonne a start, maybe Wood, maybe MAF. Bridge just doesn’t look right at the moment so maybe give him a game off. Fylde are there for the taking and the thought of travelling there and back Tuesday without three points is a hard thought to take in.

I’ve seen on some socials that people are suggesting Kevs time is up. Jesus give your heads a wobble. We do play some lovely stuff but it’s that killer instinct that we are lacking at the moment. But Kev certainly deserves time and some.

Another great attendance but we’ve left disappointed. Barnet won today in front of probably less than 2000 and Daggers probably less than 1500. It’s hard to take. What I’d give for us to beat Gateshead 6-1 in front of 7000 but we know it probably is delusional to think that possible. So we go again Tuesday and despite today disappointment if we can win Tuesday I think we’d be 8th so not all bad.
Hillson had good feet at half time…didn’t look out of place with the others….very short but so is Collin, got to give him a go, Collin is getting worse not better!

The difference between the teams today was in the finishing - both teams had chances, some 'gifted', they took theirs, we didn't take ours. We lost the game in the opposition penalty area not ours.

Positives we created more than enough to win the game. As a fan base we were probably looking for more attacking football, with risk we might be more open at the back - that's what happened today. We'll play worse and win games.

Colin very much reminds me of Mark Oxley in that everytime the ball goes back to him your heart jumps into your throat at the high possibility of him either miskicking or gifting the ball to the oppo

Wait until you watch Gubbins and Taylor **** it up on the half way line.

Wait until you watch Taylor not jump for a cross, and Gubbins score an own goal.

Wait until you watch Sutton run on the ball unchallenged from Forson and a bunch of other players, and then pass the ball across the goal unmarked.

But yes, it must be Collin's fault! We must compare him to a bloke that couldn't even catch a ball against Bolton.

A few comments about us not having a plan B.
Wasn't our plan B making an attacking change by bringing on Appiah-Forson and Bonne for Gubbins and Morton?
Yes, we got caught on the counter attack, but it happens from time to time. We just need to suck it up and move on.

Plan C. Would have been to go more direct.....and then watch the Sutton defenders clearing their lines with ease?

In terms of how we play, we have an identity now and as supporters we should be proud of that and relish seeing our players trying to play the intricate, attractive football that Kev drills into them all week on the training ground.

You don't see Man City or Liverpool playing any differently when on the rare occasion they're chasing a game. It's about patience and maintaining the believe that by continuing to play the style of football that you're accustomed to will eventually get you back into the game.
Today, it didnt quite happen, but I saw more than enough to make me believe we'll be in the top 7 come the end of the season.

We have some decent attacking options in midfield now with both Moncur and Appiah-Forson having the ability to carry the ball forward at pace forcing the opposition onto the back foot. That's what we've been crying out for and that's what we've now got.

Of course, there's still a bit of work for Kev to do on the training ground. There's some new partnerships that need a bit more time to gel. I'm sure we'll see a couple more come in to strengthen the squad which will make us a real force.

Let's keep backing these players as I'm sure that over the course of 46 games, they will ultimately reward us.
A really insightful assessment by Lincoln Shrimp. I think this team will bounce back quickly.

I honestly believe Collin has the makings of a top keeper but I do feel his all round game is having it's weaknesses exposed by the way we are set up to play. We require good distribution across the whole defence unit and it is obvious this is an area Collin needs to develop. I remember when Simon Royce came into the first team his kicking and distribution was not his strongest aspect but it improved but the whole goalkeeping set up at the time was chalk and cheese to what the Club has to offer these days. For me even though he has a lot of games under his belt, at his age he shouldn't have the unchallenged mantle of 1st choice keeper. We need an experienced keeper with strong all round abilities that will challenge Collin as 1st choice and ideally assist in his development. My concern for Collin is without the stimulation of real competition for his place and not just the presence of a non contract injury back up, his development will stagnant or indeed go backwards especially if he becomes a 'boo boys' target.
The last thing I want to do is lose an exciting young prospect like Collin but I genuinely believe the team and Collin would benefit from recruitment in this area.

Back