• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Sutton United

Proper after the Lord Mayor's Show performance. Not had a chance to read everyone's thoughts yet, but we were bullied by a team of thugs who took the opportunities we gave them - we were architects of our own destruction.

Uncharacteristic mistakes from Taylor and Ralph, plus mistakes also from Husin, Gubbins, Morton and Crowther, coupled with a nervy performance from Collin (unnerved by having Steve at the other end possibly?) equalled a really under par showing. Really poor communication in defence and some proper dodgy kicking too.

Moncur and Gus tried really hard, so did Bridge but he didn't look comfortable till reverting to LWB after Gubbins was subbed. Pepple was practically raped by their no. 3, both he and Bridge were fouled countless times but got absolutely nothing out of the ref.

We've said this many times when we come up against teams like Sutton, we need to be nastier. If the guy is grappling with you making it difficult to escape, jab a finger in his ribs, "accidentally" knee him in the groin, tread on a foot. I'm not advocating this in every game but just in ones like yesterday. We're too damn nice!

Massively missed Cav in the middle in my opinion. Noor was trying to cover that role but didn't cope well, and Morton was poor.

Maher knows Arnold. He knows he spills quite often yet not once did we have anyone challenging for those spills. That was poor imo.

Not sure the two early subs brought us anything. Bonne should have scored from that beautiful ball Gus planted on his forehead, and Appiah-Forson actually played as if he was Terrell. Thought Jack Wood did ok when he came on and would have liked to see him given longer.

Collin - 5
Gus - 8, MOTM
Taylor - 6
Crowther - 6
Gubbins - 6
Ralph - 6
Husin - 6
Morton - 5
Moncur - 7
Bridge - 7
Pepple - 6

Subs:
Bonne for Gubbins - 5
Appiah-Forson for Morton - 5
Wood for Pepple - 6

Officials were one of the worst sets we've seen in some time.

Good to see a fantastic reception for Steve Arnold, and loved seeing so many photos of him afterwards with our young fans on social media. Top man.

Not long before they scored the equaliser Moncur worked a bit of magic on the left and played in Ralph who then put in a really dangerous ball across goal that they were somehow able to clear. If that goes it is 2-0 to us, and, end of story. Kev remains a genius, Moncur remains a super star while Collin is the greatest although his kicking needs to improve. And no SZ meltdown!
Bim Pepple loves to go back post. Twice yesterday if he'd gone front post from a cross he'd have had a tap in. First one was that Ralph cross. small margins like that can make a big difference. hopefully the coaching staff can sort that out, because i think if he adds goals to his game he's too good for this level.

Ok, Sutton are thugs, Collin’s distribution is poor, the defence was asleep, tired, had an off day, or whatever.
With respect, people are missing the point. We have, and have had for yonks, strikers (better described as forwards) who just don’t score goals. Bonne, for example, came here with a reputation for scoring goals at a higher level. His actual performance in front of goal yesterday was acutely disappointing. Pepple can run all day (and does) and not score in a month of Sundays. Dackers, Powell, Wreh, I could go on and on. Cards is the only exception.
Barry Fry’s philosophy was that he didn’t mind too much how many goals we let in, as long as we scored more than the opposition. Now, if we let in goals we’re stuffed.

Ok, Sutton are thugs, Collin’s distribution is poor, the defence was asleep, tired, had an off day, or whatever.
With respect, people are missing the point. We have, and have had for yonks, strikers (better described as forwards) who just don’t score goals. Bonne, for example, came here with a reputation for scoring goals at a higher level. His actual performance in front of goal yesterday was acutely disappointing. Pepple can run all day (and does) and not score in a month of Sundays. Dackers, Powell, Wreh, I could go on and on. Cards is the only exception.
Barry Fry’s philosophy was that he didn’t mind too much how many goals we let in, as long as we scored more than the opposition. Now, if we let in goals we’re stuffed.
So you can judge Bonne and Pepple on 2 games? You must be a serious football scout somewhere. Fair play.

Bim Pepple loves to go back post. Twice yesterday if he'd gone front post from a cross he'd have had a tap in. First one was that Ralph cross. small margins like that can make a big difference. hopefully the coaching staff can sort that out, because i think if he adds goals to his game he's too good for this level.
Good observation that.

I thought he led the line brilliantly. Made himself a nuisance and won many balls.

Did get frustrated at being fouled and did a mini lash out against the thug before half time which the referee seemed to see as he spoke with them both.

He will only get better (hopefully). And by the way he must've had a sore head and still battled on.

Well, was fed up last night. Hubby wasnt feeling well, so he left straight after the 3rd goal went in and got the bus home, and left me and my Dad to suffer out the last 20 minutes. In hindsight, he probably did the sensible thing. It was awful.

I watched the "highlights" this morning, and whilst it was bad, a few things we said yesterday are true.

We were all over them in the first half, and really should have capitalised by getting a second to follow up Gus's screamer! That wasnt to be, not helped by the long delay with the clash of heads (Bim seemed to come out of that better, apart from the cut and I hope their defender is ok, as that was a nasty one).

Then we had an unbelieveable defensive mix up, which led to their totally undeserved equaliser right on half time, which really changed the game. Why we still faff about in our own half rather than clearing our lines is beyond me. We were certainly punished for that one.

Then second half, the rough-housing, bullying and agressive tactics employed by Sutton is definitely a style of play we have zero answer for. We are a footballing side, and fair play to Kev and the team for sticking with this philosophy, but it does leave us vulnerable to the huge bricksh**house players these teams seem to find in abandance. Predicatably, a second defensive screwup left us 2-1 down and we are then chasing the game, still with very few answers and Sutton promptly parked the bus. The substitutions, whilst a statement of intent did nothing to help, and left us even more exposed at the back. Their 3rd, and I agree with D1 on this one, was the only goal that they deserved. Coupled wth atrocious officials, yesterday was one to file in the back of the cupboard and forget about.

So, a few thoughts.

- Sutton did their homework and exposed every single one of our weaknesses (and we have more than we did!)
- I dont think it was all bad, we should have finished it off in the first half whilst we were on top. We didnt, they capitalised on a mistake and we lost our heads.
- We are relying on a team that has only had a partial pre-season and has been weakened by players moving on, injuries and the new lads not being fully fit yet. It is going to take time and we saw our frailties in their full glory yesterday.
- We urgently need a replacement for Kensdale. Any of Sutton's no-nonsense rough tough defenders would do at this point, to stop us being bullied so much.
- We need to get Colin some more training for his distribution. David Martin leaving has had a much bigger impact than I had considered!
- We need to chalk this us as a very bad day at the office and move on. Quickly.
- Tuesday is another day!!

Listen to my post match report on BBC Essex Sport. Available on BBC Sounds App Post Match 14thSept.
We are missing Kensdale badly, we need a Dominant (Adam Barrett) Centre Back, also Cav Miley , big miss in that type of game. Sutton Big bullish side, took advantage of our mistakes. Hope we can learn quickly.

Yesterday was the day when I realised my great mate RH was right (when i saw him last April after our last home game of last season ) when he doubted that we we would be going up this season under KM.Discuss.

Last edited:
Taking off Morton instead of a clearly tiring George Moncur was integral to the total capitulation of our midfield yesterday.

George has shown how good he can be when on his game, but he was done by 60 yesterday and didn't have anything in the tank to track runners or defend at all.

The sub calls are on the management. Big question marks there for me there.

Yesterday was the day when I realised my great mate RH was right (when i saw him last April after our last home game of last season ) when he doubted that we we ould be going up this season under KM.Discuss.
Agreed. However, I’m not sure anyone else would do much better under the circumstances. I’m happy this season to consolidate. Let’s not forget we almost didn’t have a club, so anything above relegation is ok by me. If we get to play offs, then that’s a bonus.. promotion, highly unlikely.
Style of play, from commentaries, we could do better, but as we’ve a ‘new’ set of players still working stuff out and a few key players gone/injured, it’s never gonna be pure football. We’re division 5 for goodness sake.

Taking off Morton instead of a clearly tiring George Moncur was integral to the total capitulation of our midfield yesterday.

George has shown how good he can be when on his game, but he was done by 60 yesterday and didn't have anything in the tank to track runners or defend at all.

The sub calls are on the management. Big question marks there for me there.
Do you think he took off Morton for this mistake that I think led to goal? Seems harsh given it was played to his wrong foot from the pass/throw and put him in trouble.

Sutton were certainly a physical side and some of their defenders seemed intent on stripping our lads of their shirts, but we should recognise that their strikers were quick, tricky and excellent shots. Would our lads have scored those three goals if the circumstances were reversed? I doubt it.

Rather than scapegoats lets try and look at the bigger picture, like the whole game. They were not the 'dirty' or 'physical' team some are claiming. Its wasn't Collins kick, Kev's subs or even the officials even though they were p*** poor. No they beat us because they did something we can't....They scored 3 goals from just two touches in our penalty area.

After just 5 minutes Sutton looked exactly like team that had just last their last few games 3-0. Any ball forward without fuss should produce a chance. A couple of NL lumps at the back who, even with bit of time, could only slice it into touch for our throw.....This could be 2-0 again by H/T so relax everyone the 3 points are already in the bag.

Its gets better. New boy Pepple with the most basic of closing down causes panic. Super Steve shows his biggest weakness, dealing with stuff outside the box and it falls to the best man in blue shirt for that chance....Luckily not one of our forwards. Not Jack Bridge who would want an extra touch, or NH who would want to beat the last defender first....NO its that goal machine GSM......With the patience and awareness to allow the ball to drop and punch teasing half volley into the empty net.

All we had to do was more of the same against a team who looked far worse than Eastleigh or Boston.....Then Sutton show as an area where they were better than both of those and better than us. They pressed with numbers and worked really hard in our half. From then on nearly every single passage of play than ended up with an attack was due to bad mistakes. Ours self inflicted from over and backwards passing. Theirs from bad control by very average defenders.

We could have easily put that game to bed before the break. Norr did well to steal the ball down our right but instead of pulling simple ball back to Moncur? he tried to do to much. Norr did exactly the same in the same position against Eastleigh. Over the two games he has spoiled good moves rather than create them.

Meanwhile we excelled in the put Collin under pressure back pass tactic. Why go back 45yds when there was guaranteed reward from the most average ball forward. Collin had no option with the the one that upset everyone in the first half. One blue shirt left and one right both tightly pressed with no one else doing the job of availability. Vital if you insist on having at least 100 passes more than the oppo each game.

Meanwhile Sutton defenders looked like a boxer with his gloves down by his waist. A straight right or left, let alone a hook would be enough. We chose to retreat to our corner. Even wasted throws and free kicks all in the name of get 5 passes in before even thinking about a delivery.

Then the game changing moment 5 minutes into first half injury time. We had then under pressure down the right with players committed in their area. The ball ends up out left at Jack Bridge's feet. All has to do is drive it in low and hard but he has another touch, poor choice of pass and they clear......Going back 800 years to days of Village football before even the Black Death. The last man in defence (Crowther) has to deal with that ball. Now in 2024 pass completion stats are king....Not Edward the Confessor. Crowther thanks Taylor will pass it back because that's what we do. Taylor thinks well maybe not this time......Credit to their lad he kept his head and made sure he punished us.

Someone said to me during half time. "Good that will wake us up" I'm thinking its more likely to wake them up. 10 minutes later we have a throw in front of the Yellows. Long and down the line is the only option because they clumsily put the last two out of play for us anyway. We chose short and and square to player under pressure from two yellow shirts. He could have read the situation and hit it deep into their half but its far better to do them the favour by putting Collin under more pressure. Its not as if they are reading our back pass game and the home crowd are growing nervous......Never mind Its not one of Collins best but it hits the halfway line. GSM is overcommitted but that's what we want and he will get back. Except their lad crosses first time, and early. Then Sutton do something we certainly don't, Use two hands on Crowther to stop him winning the header.....In the NL two handed pushes are no longer a foul and because the ball was early Gubbins is facing the wrong way and a bad 10 minutes of play becomes disaster.

Good for Kev, for once he makes double sub before the 60minute mark. We all know why he didn't start with two forwards and Pepple is doing OK so a defender for an attacker with Bridge going out left in 4-4-2 should keep everyone happy. After all who hasn't said "may as well lose 3-1 but have at least have a go"
They only debate here is who instead of Morton. My personal choice would have been Norr.

Plan B works because we created some good chances even for the subs Bonne heads over. KAF hits it straight at Arnold. Which was the theme all day, over the bar or straight at.....In fact that's what it has been so far all season. That bizarre tackle in the first half from Pepple ended up with this seasons only decent low shot from outside the box.

With frustration mounting over the ref assisted time wasting, they break again and do another thing we can't. A blind first time cross to dangerous area.......Somone should be there and they were. Its 1-3 and they have made sure to punish us.

Deep down we all know any chance of even a point has gone because we are a poor team if we concede. To come from behind in the new time wasting is rewarded world you need have the power game. Teams don't get out of the NL without it. Make every set piece count, throw it long and deliver from anywhere. Even from 10 yds inside your own half. 10 half chances are better than 100 passes when time is running out.

Good luck to anyone heading up to Fylde. I will see you all at Solihull

Last edited:
This always playing out from the back ethos does my head in.

45 minutes of hard work and nice play and tactics all undone by one sloppy pass.

I dont care how good you are, at some point in the entire 90 mins you are going to do a bad pass, or scuff it/get a bad bounce.

Its so predictable and makes zero sense to me, at least mix it up a bit.

Proper after the Lord Mayor's Show performance. Not had a chance to read everyone's thoughts yet, but we were bullied by a team of thugs who took the opportunities we gave them - we were architects of our own destruction.

Uncharacteristic mistakes from Taylor and Ralph, plus mistakes also from Husin, Gubbins, Morton and Crowther, coupled with a nervy performance from Collin (unnerved by having Steve at the other end possibly?) equalled a really under par showing. Really poor communication in defence and some proper dodgy kicking too.

Moncur and Gus tried really hard, so did Bridge but he didn't look comfortable till reverting to LWB after Gubbins was subbed. Pepple was practically raped by their no. 3, both he and Bridge were fouled countless times but got absolutely nothing out of the ref.

We've said this many times when we come up against teams like Sutton, we need to be nastier. If the guy is grappling with you making it difficult to escape, jab a finger in his ribs, "accidentally" knee him in the groin, tread on a foot. I'm not advocating this in every game but just in ones like yesterday. We're too damn nice!

Massively missed Cav in the middle in my opinion. Noor was trying to cover that role but didn't cope well, and Morton was poor.

Maher knows Arnold. He knows he spills quite often yet not once did we have anyone challenging for those spills. That was poor imo.

Not sure the two early subs brought us anything. Bonne should have scored from that beautiful ball Gus planted on his forehead, and Appiah-Forson actually played as if he was Terrell. Thought Jack Wood did ok when he came on and would have liked to see him given longer.

Collin - 5
Gus - 8, MOTM
Taylor - 6
Crowther - 6
Gubbins - 6
Ralph - 6
Husin - 6
Morton - 5
Moncur - 7
Bridge - 7
Pepple - 6

Subs:
Bonne for Gubbins - 5
Appiah-Forson for Morton - 5
Wood for Pepple - 6

Officials were one of the worst sets we've seen in some time.

Good to see a fantastic reception for Steve Arnold, and loved seeing so many photos of him afterwards with our young fans on social media. Top man.
How have you given forson a 5 and wood a 6?! What does Jack wood hold over this fan base I will never know 🤣

That’s now the 6th time we have taken the lead in 8 games. We’ve gone on to win just 2 of those games.

Almost like a complete flip from last season, where we always went behind, but squeezed something out of the games.

Other than not being able to hit the net regularly, we don’t appear to have the mental and perhaps physical strength to close games out at the moment. A hangover from being behind in pre-season prep perhaps?

Back