• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Gateshead

It’s absolutely no surprise we’re struggling for consistency at the minute, considering the number of players that are unavailable/aren’t fully fit/have left. That’s been epitomised by our last three results.

It also takes time for new players to settle, and we still need some more through the door.

At the moment we’re a team in transition; and until we have a settled squad with more depth, we’ll continue to struggle for consistency — both in terms of results and performances — and tactics from an analytical perspective are an afterthought.

We’ve also had an 18 player turnover since last season, and that’s without a pre-season to settle the squad.

Give it time.

You can have an 18 player turnover and not gel, that’s absolutely fine. But to start Bonne over Pepple, when Bonne has done nothing to impress anyone, apart from scoring goals 3-4 years ago. To play the same formations and tactics that don’t work… To play a goalie struggling for confidence, behind a defence that are so poor they won’t jump.

This goes beyond player turnover. Stop using it as an excuse for poor management.

Not sure what Bridge is bringing to the team this season. Goes missing defensively and is anonymous in attack. Time for a replacement.
Not sure where you was sitting today. But from the east stand you could see Bridge had several runs and attempted crosses in the second half. Trouble was, everyone around me was screaming for other players to make themselves available for him, which they didn’t do. We have some poor players, but I don’t think he is one of them.

To be honest, JB has been poor this season and much of last too. People keep banging on about how he misses Wes. Well they were not exactly playing well together week in and week out. They were so inconsistent and both not good defensively. I think the team have been carrrying JB. Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to show some of the old stuff we saw him do, but it's too infrequent and he is totally ineffective against more physical teams. So I think we 100% need competition for him

Wasn’t he top of the assists table last season?

Who lost 7-1 to ****ing Dagenham

Who drew with Solihull today. Horses for courses 🤷‍♂️

Another consideration: are we the slowest team in the NL?
I tend to watch NL highlights most weeks, and even a team like Maidenhead, who we play next, have got a couple of pace merchants. Most if not all teams do.
And we?
KAF may seem quick, but I wonder if that's the same as Egbri being rated fast; not that I'm comparing the former to Terrell for one second!
As for the rest, GSM is sprightly, but quick as in sprint quick?
The rest are slow by football standards, even at NL level, and in Bonne and Pepple, we have a couple of joggers!

Management at fault for today’s performance, starting with 1 up front at home was asking for trouble. We must be the only club that leaves a striker on the bench after scoring 2 goals last week.! Also we could have signed butcher a week ago so would of had a weeks training but no, Kev being stubborn hasn’t bothered so signs a young player on loan who hasn’t done any training or knows the players.! Starting to question their logic now with tactics.

I think we really need support for Bridge rather than competition. He was doubled up whenever he got forward.

He’s not going to win a two on one. Give him a two on two and he’ll use his team-mate to either beat his man or he’ll draw in two men and release his teammate. He’s so much better in a two on two situation than a one on one situation.

If you don’t give him a man supporting him you are making him play with one hand tied behind his back. Put him in a position to succeed.
A good point but actually perhaps he needs both?

Competition doesn't do any harm to anyone and only makes the squad stronger. For instance, if a Ryan Colclough type became available, would we say no having both options to pick from?

That aside, he's proven he is a good attacking outlet when backed up. Wes did that brilliantly when with us, and that missing link is really showing in Bridgey's game at the moment. Husin can do that role also well, but doesn't get forward enough currently to support. I don't see anyone else doing that job in our current squad and it is leaving Bridgey isolated and forced to go backwards.

A tad harsh but ive never been on the Collin train. Some promise but has played behind the best defence in the league for two years, not the case now.......
I don't think that's harsh, it's a good observation. The defence probably has hidden a lot of his shortcomings over the last couple of years but he has shown that he has promise and when confidence is high that he is currently one of the best shot stoppers in this league. I probably would be tempted to drop him if I was manager but I'm not sure if that would benefit us and him in the long run.

Another consideration: are we the slowest team in the NL?
I tend to watch NL highlights most weeks, and even a team like Maidenhead, who we play next, have got a couple of pace merchants. Most if not all teams do.
And we?
KAF may seem quick, but I wonder if that's the same as Egbri being rated fast; not that I'm comparing the former to Terrell for one second!
As for the rest, GSM is sprightly, but quick as in sprint quick?
The rest are slow by football standards, even at NL level, and in Bonne and Pepple, we have a couple of joggers!

As @Yorkshire Blue said, Ralph and Taylor are quite mobile. Cards was deceptively quick & Kensdale wasn’t a slouch.

Having none of those in the side really shows how slow we are though.

I don't think that's harsh, it's a good observation. The defence probably has hidden a lot of his shortcomings over the last couple of years but he has shown that he has promise and when confidence is high that he is currently one of the best shot stoppers in this league. I probably would be tempted to drop him if I was manager but I'm not sure if that would benefit us and him in the long run.
Equally Collin was part of that best defence, and he played his part, he wasn't a passenger. Multiple games last season he produced superb saves.

I really thought we would “bounce back” after the awful, boring game midweek but we seemed worse.
I really don’t what else to add as to what others have said really but, at times Colin does frighten me and he making at least one boomer each game.
I said prior regarding the signing of Foran that the guy has come straight into the side so has had no time with bonding with the others so I think I will reserve judgement for the time being.
We badly missed Taylor & Ralph today ( and dare I say it also Kensdale!!!) and we need Cav back.
I thought Gubbins had a reasonable game today and is slowly growing on me but what would do without GUS?

This is still a team that is building but we must win our home games
No doubt most of us will be back next week

Bang average league this season including Gateshead, we let them play, we were too slow on the ball for 90 mins.
With Stockport, Notts C, Wrexham and Chesterfield ripping this League a good un for 3 years, this is a season not to be waisting a chance to get out of this hell hole, but we're miles off.
Worrying times and with Gus sure to be touted in Jan, bottom half at best.

Equally Collin was part of that best defence, and he played his part, he wasn't a passenger. Multiple games last season he produced superb saves.
Completely agree which is why I said he on his day is one of the best shot stoppers in this league. Just conceding that the quality of the defensive unit (him included) may have hidden some of his shortcomings (as it would have other members of the same defence) which are now more apparent with a less cohesive unit in front of him.

Wasn’t he top of the assists table last season?

Who drew with Solihull today. Horses for courses 🤷‍♂️
Yes I get that , my disappointment is that we barely laid a glove on them today. Last week at Solihull we got on the front foot early, got the ball forward quicker and caused them all sorts of trouble. Today we were so laboured, but then why play one up front. I like Bonne and he leads the line ok but he isn’t a lone striker type player. Pepple got pulled on Tuesday when we needed a goal and today he doesn’t even get a minute. Moncur for all his quick feet and skill is woeful in front of goal and misses chances every game. Other than Gus and Pepple we have little goal threat. However Walker does look sharp and must start next week

I think we really need support for Bridge rather than competition. He was doubled up whenever he got forward.

He’s not going to win a two on one. Give him a two on two and he’ll use his team-mate to either beat his man or he’ll draw in two men and release his teammate. He’s so much better in a two on two situation than a one on one situation.

If you don’t give him a man supporting him you are making him play with one hand tied behind his back. Put him in a position to succeed.
Bridge misses Fondu

Bridge really misses Fonguck.. they played as a great combination for a couple of years and both understood each others movement … A real shame we didn’t see fit to offer Wes an additional year …

You can have an 18 player turnover and not gel, that’s absolutely fine. But to start Bonne over Pepple, when Bonne has done nothing to impress anyone, apart from scoring goals 3-4 years ago. To play the same formations and tactics that don’t work… To play a goalie struggling for confidence, behind a defence that are so poor they won’t jump.

This goes beyond player turnover. Stop using it as an excuse for poor management.
Perhaps Pepple wasn’t fit enough to play; I have no idea. Same formation that we used to beat Eastleigh so convincingly just a few weeks ago.

But besides, tactics go far, far beyond a formation. I’m not saying every tactical decision has been correct lately, but that isn’t the main reason we’re struggling for consistency.

People who read my analysis regularly will know I don’t have any agendas. I’ve criticised tactics before and I will do again. But right now, that isn’t the main reason we’re struggling.

Last edited:
Genuine question , what have a club like Gateshead got over us , better wages , better manager , better budget , better players , better crowds , better at playing away or are we just unlucky again ?

From previous posts I’ve highlighted certain players are not good enough and this year will be toughest of Mahers career , I just don’t see this ending well .

First game since Barnet away for me so I’m not as in tune with our playing style and game plan. Sadly neither were the eleven lads representing our club today. They looked like they’d just met in the car park.

I read an interview with Maher this week where he said that it was going to take time for things to gel, match fitness to build etc. A call for patience I guess. I think up to a point most fans will respect that to some degree as we’ve had the spine ripped out of our side through a combination of ill discipline, unexpected transfers and injuries. However you still expect 11 professional footballers to do the basics, like talk to each other on the pitch, ensure 2 players don’t go for the same ball. Wear studs suitable for the turf so you’re not constantly slipping and creating opportunities for the opposition out of nothing.

I think this forum can really show the extremities in fan reactions as after wins the praise can be as over the top as the negativity after a defeat.

I expect us to improve as and when we get a few players back, players get match fit and learn each other’s games some more. If they don’t then Maher will probably be out of a job. Which would have been unthinkable at the start of the season and for me still is now. I think some patience is needed from everyone but make no mistake today was horrendous and got to be one of the worst performances I’ve seen under Kev. Confidence seems to be very low all over the pitch and it’s leading to hot potato passing on the rare opportunities we actually had possession and a lack of runs into the areas of the pitch where you really hurt the opposition, create chances or finish them.

We won’t play teams as good as Gateshead every week and surely we can’t be that bad every week either. So let’s no overreact here but I think the players will already know they were miles away from the level expected today.

Back