• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Gateshead

I will just comment on Bonne though as I am surprised to see so much criticism of him. I thought he was very commanding in the air, and won the majority of headers - there was just no-one anywhere near to take advantage of this.
What confuses me is Maher has in the past shown a preference for two up top and it worked to good effect only recently. He’s got Walker on the bench and Pepple and only brings Walker on when the game’s lost. Why?! Bonne was getting his head on things all game, there was nobody there to take advantage.

So my thoughts…

It was a poor performance, make no mistake, but also take nothing away from Gateshead, they were excellent.

Bonne, in my opinion, played well, just can’t be a sole striker. He won nearly all of the flick ons that a fit Walker or Pepple would have run on to. He also looks lively in the 6 yard box and I’m confident that it will click for him soon.

Gus is gus, we all love him and we are fortunate to have him, but in being so good going forward, he lacks defensive nous and that was evident in Gateshead’s first goal.

It WAS a penalty, absolutely no complaints, from those fans near it like me, nor the players. Their striker toed the ball away and Collin brings him down. I’m also convinced that when our back line can settle a tad more, so will Collin’s performances.

A random special mention for George Wind who I thought was excellent when he came on. He won most of his headers against some strong players, but also made a couple of good overlapping runs late in the game. Looks like a good talent.

Also thought Foran was okay - he looks quite pacey and good in the tackle, so not a bad replacement for now.

We badly need Miley & Coker back - our midfield was non existent from about 60 mins onwards, which aided the very disjointed performance.

Do I think the season will continue like this? No.
Will cohesion soon come and we’ll start playing well? I think so.

We’re the national league equivalent of Belgium. Good players for this level, just not playing as a team as yet.
Have not seen Wind play but those who have have praised him. I would like to see Wind at right back and Gus as a right winger. It would strengthen both the defence and the attack. It would require a change of formation so it won’t happen.

Wasn't at the game, but having seen the highlights, we looked alot like we did in our first season in the NL

In fact, it actually reminds me of the league 2 campaign

We seem very fractured, we don't look fit, and we look void of ideas and despite the odd bits of class we have we look like a team that could implode very easily

Unfortunately, this is us for foreseeable future. We're just not very good. We are where we are, because we deserve to be. Very poor again today, we could have easily been 3-0 down inside 20 minutes. We deserved nothing, Gateshead were way ahead of us. Nothing will change soon, there is no quick fix, and we aren't allowed to criticise Kev's tactics. It's very much a case of suck it up. It's going to be a very long season.

So as disappointing as yesterday was let’s look at some numbers

7 - not so lucky - the number of players who started the first game of the season who couldn’t start yesterday. 2 gone for good, 1 suspension - already- and 4 injured or coming back from injury.

21, 23, 20, 23 - the ages of our goalkeeper and 3 centre backs.

0 - the number of games those four had played together.

77 - the combined number of senior games the back three have played in their careers.

2 - the number of goals Jack Bridge has scored in open play since the start of last season. He really ought to know where to be for cross from the right at his age.

17 - the number of players on full contracts (excluding Faulkner) of which 6 were not able to start yesterday.

5 the number of games Cardwell started for us compared with 1 at FG. What a waste of a decent footballer.

And finally

60, 65, 70, 78, 84 the minutes in which Gateshead made their 5 substitutions. Contrived managed or what? My weekly anti 7 subs rage - how’s that any good for football?

I get it when people say the other side was excellent today, making that the acceptable excuse. You then have to analyse what made them excellent. Better players? Better attitudes? Better tactics?
We have to be that better side. Hopefully a week on the training ground will provide these answers for both the players and management, because although we have injuries (and every club experiences this), we have to find a way to do better. If something isn't working you have to change it.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Kev has a preffered system, which with the right players has proven to work. Unfortunately due to a number of unforseen circumstances, he no longer has those players (contract termination, clause in contract release, injuries, delayed takeover). The current hand he's been dealt with doesn't allow for that favoured system to work, certainly from a defensive point of view. So I believe he has to change it. That doesn't mean he or his system has failed, and when he has the right players, he can return to it. However, you have to work with what resources you have at that time.

Bonne is a great example of this. Brought in to score goals but being used as Cardwell was to play as a target man. That's not his game. He ran yesterday challenging for headers for others to run off of, which wasn't happening. Then he's criticised for not being a poacher. Is that his fault?
Proven to work really?
In compared with what?
Because we got near the play off? We have had awful performances under Maher with these questions asked but we excused them because of the team club status. Then your comment about insanity makes even more sense .
Hard to say of course but with better "Gateshead" like tactics could we have done even better.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea or the long term answer, but I'd like to see a different system next week. Pick a system that suits the players and take out Crowther and Bridge, who for me have not contributed anything positive of late. Foran and Gubbins may be more suited to a back 4, and remember both have a better pedigree of coaching, coming from Arsenal and QPR. I'd give Collin the benefit of a different system and Bonne a player like Walker or Pepple to run off his flicks, which worked at Solihull. GSM is a scoring machine and delivers a great cross, but defensively is wanting at times. I'd play him in a diamond and give Wind a shot at RB. This way out of possesion we are doubled up on the right, and have pace on the left.

Screenshot_20240929_100952_Keep Notes.jpg

Still catching up I am afraid, die for the club mentality is missing at the moment.
Work rate of Harry Cardwell, a massive miss and influence on other players. No defensive organiser out there. Players disjointed at the moment.
I am always optimistic that we can get it right with a couple of additions of the right quality. As Kev has been saying.

Personally thought he was very lazy. Lots of shouting at others but didn't break a run let alone a sprint
Maybe he was shouting at them because they aren't doing there job, and we do need a voice on the pitch. He is not a Cardwell that can sprint all day, but despite being isolated, was winning many flick ons. He has goal scoring records at this level, and is being judged by that, which is a tad harsh as he isn't being played to his strengths.

Correct, as they should, but I am still not going to care if the bandwagoners get upset. The core 5,000 who stuck with the club know who they are. We are the ones that deserve success.

Every time I read someone complain 'the fans will stop coming', I see it as a thinly veiled 'I will stop coming'.
Every club needs new blood. We have to entice people to come and then convince them to stay. The 'bandwaggoners' of today are the core fans of tomorrow. It's not always love at first sight. Sometimes a bit of courting is in order to give the Blues magic time to work.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea or the long term answer, but I'd like to see a different system next week. Pick a system that suits the players and take out Crowther and Bridge, who for me have not contributed anything positive of late. Foran and Gubbins may be more suited to a back 4, and remember both have a better pedigree of coaching, coming from Arsenal and QPR. I'd give Collin the benefit of a different system and Bonne a player like Walker or Pepple to run off his flicks, which worked at Solihull. GSM is a scoring machine and delivers a great cross, but defensively is wanting at times. I'd play him in a diamond and give Wind a shot at RB. This way out of possesion we are doubled up on the right, and have pace on the left.

View attachment 34161
Gateshead played one up front too but they let their attacking players attack in what looked like a 433 formation. They matched our 3 midfield but had more attacking players forward in support.

I agree on the 4 at the back change. I've never been a fan of 5 at the back or our wonky back 4 and hope bridge defends and attacks. We look more structurally sound with a proper 5 but then lack forward options. Therefore

Collin
Wind crowther gubbins Ralph
Forson husin
Gus Moncur bridge
Pebble

Most teams in the prem playing some form of this now (5 at the back disappearing)

Or

Collin
Gus crowther gubbins Ralph
Forson Moncur husin
Pebble borne bridge

I remember Steve Thompson swapping to 433 from Alvin Martin (I think) 532 and saved us from relegation.

Something has to change and more so I'd like to see change

Let's not kid ourselves.

This current side is inferior to last season and has no consistency. The fact that last year's crop had more points at this point and had conceded less proves that.

Last years 13 or so played above themselves.

Was there any entertainment in the last two home games? Not much at all and it doesnt look like changing anytime soon.

I usually book off Saturday where we have home games. For some reason I'm down as working next Saturday. I've really got to the point where I'll probably give the game against maidenhead a swerve and just work. I think I've only missed 1or 2 home games in the last 10 seasons.

I cant handle another dissapointing afternoon and another turgid performance and defeat.

I feel like this season is already written off just 12 games in.

It's a real shame Demi couldn't squeeze another season in, him at centre back with his experience and on field direction is exactly what's needed when the defence is packed with youngsters and chaos.

Jack Bridge needs dropping, he's a one trick pony and rarely scores or assists from open play- he did work very well with Wes but Wes is gone.

You take GSM out of this side and we are nailed on relegation fodder currently and a team of this stature and support should never be in that position without severe financial issues.

It's so so depressing as fans having to write off another season so early, as we have had to do for much of the last decade because of embargos and the like, I guess one more doesn't hurt.

Next season we have to hit the ground running, no excuses, we have the back of club stability now. Use the rest of this season to come up with a solid playing system and core to a team ready for a promotion push next.

Back