• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Gateshead

Always watch the players warm up, usually from close to the away team. I find you can see the type of game you're up against by the size speed and specifically the drills the opposition do. One particular drill today had 2 of their players opposite sides of around a 6yd distance. Properly smashing balls fast balls to the opposing player who sprinting forward had to lay it off first time back to opposing second player then repeat etc. All one touch. It was really very impressive and highlighted for me our weakness in quality. Our first touch barring Ralph moncur and bonne is awful. We end up taking so many touches either because the pass was poor or the first touch was bad. It's not hard for teams to press and close us down playing like this. I think it's down to the quality and inexperience of who we now have.
Secondly, we had no leader out there today. Ralph isn't naturally vocal anyway and collins lost his mojo at the noment. Kensdales gone leaving nobody to organise and lead at the back. What I saw lots of today was most of the players moaning at each other and questioning each other.
We simply aren't a 'team' at the moment. No cohesion, familarity, no practiced routines, no favourite one\two partners or drilled triangles. We're a bunch of 'all we could get' lower league left overs with a couple of left out experienced misfits thrown in the mix.
Its not kevs fault kensdale imploded and cards fancied more money, or Taylor's hamstring went or Cavs discs flared blah blah, but I think more management of getting the final yellow before suspension should have happened, I think something should have been done by now about the medical department (I use that term lightly!), I think when faced with our player availability problems this week it was questionable trying to continue with the same old style and formation when there's been no time to gel or players to utilise to do it. We had nothing to lose today by trying different things.
I think we hugely miss Dave Martin's experience coaching not just Collin but the back line too, which he was so good at. Had he and JDs contracts been discussed early and not just left to last, there was a high chance both would still be on the books as player coaches. Those two wouldve made a massive difference on the pitch in recent games.
Of course kev and co have done amazingly last season with all that went on. Luckily the threadbare squad we had were all close knit and 100% familiar with each other's games. Unfortunately what he has now as a threadbare squad is about as opposite to that as you can get. He's going to need every ounce of luck to have a half decent next month or two. I hope we get some injured players back, a handful of pens and some decent performances to regain conficence. But I feel it's going to take more than one week without a game to get any familiarity within the team.

I want Kev and Co to succeed so badly.. I dream we change our style of football and play attacking football and challenge for promotion. He deserves it more than anyone, please Kev do the right thing.
Agreed, but to do so he needs to admit plan A isn’t working sometimes and try something different. As @in the know rightly says, we could have done that today, but we stubbornly stuck to the same old style, perhaps even more so given we only had one up front.

Watched it again at 0.25 speed on the 'highlights' and never a penalty - clearly plays the ball first. Idiot ref has a clear view as well and still gets it wrong.
So you’re advocating VAR at NL level or criticising the ref for not having 0.25 speed vision?

Not saying I want Kev out but if the club were to pull the trigger, you’d have to say for all three to leave so a completely new team with new ideas could come in. Not that I’d have a scoobie who that would be.
Well the team that just beat us play good attacking football and perhaps playing in front of even 6000 fans might be of interest compared to a 1000

I will defend one aspect of this. Crowther had been playing central, and today he was moved out to the right - How much time did have to prepare for that, so I don't think that helped!
He is not suited to RCB- think like this -could he be realistically be expected to play RB? Has he got those attributes? No. So you are correct. But practice would not have made a difference.

So you’re advocating VAR at NL level or criticising the ref for not having 0.25 speed vision?
Collin dived in and then look at the direction the ball travels? It’s basics really but referees at this level aren’t much different to the local rec. You can’t rely on them and it’s the punishment for playing at the level we are.

The assistant in front of the greens was worse- incredible- my 89 year old mother would have done a better job. But none of this really caused us to lose

Always watch the players warm up, usually from close to the away team. I find you can see the type of game you're up against by the size speed and specifically the drills the opposition do. One particular drill today had 2 of their players opposite sides of around a 6yd distance. Properly smashing balls fast balls to the opposing player who sprinting forward had to lay it off first time back to opposing second player then repeat etc. All one touch. It was really very impressive and highlighted for me our weakness in quality. Our first touch barring Ralph moncur and bonne is awful. We end up taking so many touches either because the pass was poor or the first touch was bad. It's not hard for teams to press and close us down playing like this. I think it's down to the quality and inexperience of who we now have.
Secondly, we had no leader out there today. Ralph isn't naturally vocal anyway and collins lost his mojo at the noment. Kensdales gone leaving nobody to organise and lead at the back. What I saw lots of today was most of the players moaning at each other and questioning each other.
We simply aren't a 'team' at the moment. No cohesion, familarity, no practiced routines, no favourite one\two partners or drilled triangles. We're a bunch of 'all we could get' lower league left overs with a couple of left out experienced misfits thrown in the mix.
Its not kevs fault kensdale imploded and cards fancied more money, or Taylor's hamstring went or Cavs discs flared blah blah, but I think more management of getting the final yellow before suspension should have happened, I think something should have been done by now about the medical department (I use that term lightly!), I think when faced with our player availability problems this week it was questionable trying to continue with the same old style and formation when there's been no time to gel or players to utilise to do it. We had nothing to lose today by trying different things.
I think we hugely miss Dave Martin's experience coaching not just Collin but the back line too, which he was so good at. Had he and JDs contracts been discussed early and not just left to last, there was a high chance both would still be on the books as player coaches. Those two wouldve made a massive difference on the pitch in recent games.
Of course kev and co have done amazingly last season with all that went on. Luckily the threadbare squad we had were all close knit and 100% familiar with each other's games. Unfortunately what he has now as a threadbare squad is about as opposite to that as you can get. He's going to need every ounce of luck to have a half decent next month or two. I hope we get some injured players back, a handful of pens and some decent performances to regain conficence. But I feel it's going to take more than one week without a game to get any familiarity within the team.
May I gently also suggest given the threadbare squad and what we are missing a signing or two? Would Callum Butcher at CB really have been worse than someone nowhere near Bromley’s first team? There is someone who could lead, apparently terms agreed, but we dither- it seems perfect is enemy of the good…

Of course not - stupid comment! It was never a penalty in real time as I previously stated. The video confirms the referee made an awful decision and had a clear view. The officiating was in keeping with the standard of play - diabolical!

Back