• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Gateshead

Maybe because we're still conseeding and losing games?? He's scoring from advanced positions and that's not suggested to be taken away ....

If he ends on 30 goals and we're relegated, are we happy?
Sorry, maybe you misunderstood my question. I wanted to understand why moving a player who has scored 9 goals from that very position is a good move? A player who is not a midfielder being moved to midfield? Not sure the projection that he may score 30 goals and us still be relegated answers that to be honest.

Honestly, this forum is so defensive when you ask a sensible question…!

Maybe he was shouting at them because they aren't doing there job, and we do need a voice on the pitch. He is not a Cardwell that can sprint all day, but despite being isolated, was winning many flick ons. He has goal scoring records at this level, and is being judged by that, which is a tad harsh as he isn't being played to his strengths.
Im desperate for it to come good.. purely because I think he is our best chance.. but I can't see it currently. Although playing one up top especially pretty much ruined the chance of him having a good afternoon.... We miss cards massively

Might not be everyone's cup of tea or the long term answer, but I'd like to see a different system next week. Pick a system that suits the players and take out Crowther and Bridge, who for me have not contributed anything positive of late. Foran and Gubbins may be more suited to a back 4, and remember both have a better pedigree of coaching, coming from Arsenal and QPR. I'd give Collin the benefit of a different system and Bonne a player like Walker or Pepple to run off his flicks, which worked at Solihull. GSM is a scoring machine and delivers a great cross, but defensively is wanting at times. I'd play him in a diamond and give Wind a shot at RB. This way out of possesion we are doubled up on the right, and have pace on the left.

View attachment 34161
Kev will NOT play a back 4. He just won't

Were our tactics yesterday based on zonal marking, as nobody was picking up players - we had 4 players in midfield, yet everytime it went anywhere near there, they had acres of space.

There were a number of examples where we were chasing a ball played between 2 of their players - just stay on your man; this is schoolboy stuff!

Also everytime they played it out from the keeper, it went central then to their right back and we had no-one pushed forward to put pressure on them, making it so easy for them to pick their passes.

Something is seriously wrong, is it the players, is it the tactics - personally I have no idea but expect it's a combination of both.

I really felt for Boone, no point winning flick-ons if there is no-one running behind, and when he did try and hold the ball up, he was hassled by 2 or 3 players.

I challenge any player to play up front on their own in a 5-4-1 formation and see how they get on!

A perceived better atmosphere with lower crowds doesn’t pay the bills.

Somehow I don’t think the consortium will share your who cares if the crowds drop outlook.
The consortium want us to be financially sustainable, but to keep on getting 7k+ crowds we need to win games especially at home.
How many clubs in the NL are currently sustainable and have any sustainable clubs ever won promotion from the NL over the past 10 years.

Were our tactics yesterday based on zonal marking, as nobody was picking up players - we had 4 players in midfield, yet everytime it went anywhere near there, they had acres of space.

There were a number of examples where we were chasing a ball played between 2 of their players - just stay on your man; this is schoolboy stuff!

Also everytime they played it out from the keeper, it went central then to their right back and we had no-one pushed forward to put pressure on them, making it so easy for them to pick their passes.

Something is seriously wrong, is it the players, is it the tactics - personally I have no idea but expect it's a combination of both.

I really felt for Boone, no point winning flick-ons if there is no-one running behind, and when he did try and hold the ball up, he was hassled by 2 or 3 players.

I challenge any player to play up front on their own in a 5-4-1 formation and see how they get on!
On occasions I’ve played as a lone striker when we played 4-5-1 . Tactics used when we were looking for a point against a good team.
It’s a thankless task with no help with both opposition centre backs taking lumps out of you.

Then the results are on him. We've been found out by lowly Sutton, Flyde and a Gateshead team that had 7 smashed past them with the defense we have. Stick to a rigid system, then accept the results.
I wish people would stop quoting the 7 goals that Heed conceded v daggers - that was an exceptional result not the norm. Heed have conceded 15 goals in 11 matches, including that 7! They're a good side!

The consortium want us to be financially sustainable, but to keep on getting 7k+ crowds we need to win games especially at home.
How many clubs in the NL are currently sustainable and have any sustainable clubs ever won promotion from the NL over the past 10 years.
We don't need 7k crowds to be sustainable - it obviously helps, but the sustainability is going (hopefully) to come from non match day operations.

We don't need 7k crowds to be sustainable - it obviously helps, but the sustainability is going (hopefully) to come from non match day operations.
A new East Stand is years away yet.
To be currently sustainable I thought we were told crowds needed to be about 8k. I can't remember what was said.
We could try and be sustainable on much lower crowds....... but that would end up with us in the National League South at best.

I wish people would stop quoting the 7 goals that Heed conceded v daggers - that was an exceptional result not the norm. Heed have conceded 15 goals in 11 matches, including that 7! They're a good side!
OK then.

Then the results are on him. We've been found out by lowly Sutton and Flyde with the defense we have. Stick to a rigid system, then accept the results.

Didn’t see the game, so can’t comment on that, but wanted to ask anyone who brought a copy of the programme if the advert for my Roots Hall Run appeared?

I thought Wind showed he had real pace too. Would love to see him getting more time on the pitch
Could of easily put him left back and gone 4 at the back from the start rather than throw in someone as emergency who massively struggled. We would of been far better with full backs yesterday to deal with their threats out wide and 2 in the middle would of been adequate to deal with their lone striker instead of 3 who got in each others way. I honestly despair how simple and obvious it was. I wonder if they even understood that after the game! I feel like mistakes aren't even recognised and failure is simply repeated out of hope and no idea.

with our cup record I don’t think a kind draw will make much difference. Just hopefully get a home draw and hope for the best
We could draw Barnet or we could draw a part-time team a couple of divisions below, significant difference there. It might reignite our season if we could get a soft home draw in this and then again in R1.

Back