• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Gateshead

He was offered a deal but his agent was holding out for more, allegedly. He was seen as a good player for the current level but not someone that would hold down a starting XI position if we moved into League Two.
That aged well , recruitment has been poor IMO and only Moncur has improved the squad , we can try and paper over it as much as we like but we are a poorer side than we was last year regardless of our points tally
Had we seen a -10 point deduction this season we would 100% be in a relegation dogfight

Not good enough once again,how many games is maher going to get before we don't even have a playoff chance? Why on earth do u put Tuesdays goal scorer on the bench and the only other recognised striker to? We should not be loosing to little tin pot sides with no support like gateshead at home,we are the biggest club in the league and they should be fearing us not the other round.Tuesdays performance was bad enough and maher keeps going on about a depleted squad but it's not that depleted and the players we have got are more then capable of getting results.He maybe a club legend and we will always be grateful to kevin but we are southend united and we should be doing much much better.Cav miley,danny waldron,ralph and taylor are ok players but they are not world beaters and i'm really not sure having them available guarantees us wins,Bonne has been absolutely useless and don't look like scoring at anytime,Moncur is decent but couldn't finish a lunch.Colin should be dropped for the other keeper,maher seems clueless and full of excuses.If we don't pick up results soon then it's time for a change,he can't keep using the problems in the past as an excuse.I also think cosu must take some of the blame and they seem a little clueless when it comes to the recruitment side of the club.We all love them for saving the club but maybe they need some help and john still.

Last edited:
So my thoughts…

It was a poor performance, make no mistake, but also take nothing away from Gateshead, they were excellent.

Bonne, in my opinion, played well, just can’t be a sole striker. He won nearly all of the flick ons that a fit Walker or Pepple would have run on to. He also looks lively in the 6 yard box and I’m confident that it will click for him soon.

Gus is gus, we all love him and we are fortunate to have him, but in being so good going forward, he lacks defensive nous and that was evident in Gateshead’s first goal.

It WAS a penalty, absolutely no complaints, from those fans near it like me, nor the players. Their striker toed the ball away and Collin brings him down. I’m also convinced that when our back line can settle a tad more, so will Collin’s performances.

A random special mention for George Wind who I thought was excellent when he came on. He won most of his headers against some strong players, but also made a couple of good overlapping runs late in the game. Looks like a good talent.

Also thought Foran was okay - he looks quite pacey and good in the tackle, so not a bad replacement for now.

We badly need Miley & Coker back - our midfield was non existent from about 60 mins onwards, which aided the very disjointed performance.

Do I think the season will continue like this? No.
Will cohesion soon come and we’ll start playing well? I think so.

We’re the national league equivalent of Belgium. Good players for this level, just not playing as a team as yet.

Good post, I agree with most of what you say, but this part particularly stands out. My biggest criticism of Maher is not using the bench effectively and leaving subs too late. This season with 5 subs allowed it’s become even more apparent.

Every other team uses subs earlier to get more energy on, we only ever use 2 or 3 of the 5 allowed despite having knackered looking players. Of course our relatively small squad isn’t helping, but for example we had Wood and Pepple kicking their heels today. One came on when the game was more or less over, the other not at all, despite others running through treacle.
Exactly my thoughts. Our substitutions are generally reactive (to going behind) rather than proactive. They are also usually later in the game and we rarely use our full quota. The latter point against a background of small squad, no full pre-season and Sat/Tues/Sat/Tues games. It makes no sense….

I get it when people say the other side was excellent today, making that the acceptable excuse. You then have to analyse what made them excellent. Better players? Better attitudes? Better tactics?
We have to be that better side. Hopefully a week on the training ground will provide these answers for both the players and management, because although we have injuries (and every club experiences this), we have to find a way to do better. If something isn't working you have to change it.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Kev has a preffered system, which with the right players has proven to work. Unfortunately due to a number of unforseen circumstances, he no longer has those players (contract termination, clause in contract release, injuries, delayed takeover). The current hand he's been dealt with doesn't allow for that favoured system to work, certainly from a defensive point of view. So I believe he has to change it. That doesn't mean he or his system has failed, and when he has the right players, he can return to it. However, you have to work with what resources you have at that time.

Bonne is a great example of this. Brought in to score goals but being used as Cardwell was to play as a target man. That's not his game. He ran yesterday challenging for headers for others to run off of, which wasn't happening. Then he's criticised for not being a poacher. Is that his fault?

Last edited:
All this talk about crowds dropping off. Let them. Like we should be held to ransom by people who stop going at the first sign of it not being as good as they like.

The atmosphere was far better in the siege days when these people didn't bother coming.

We had fewer people making panicky noises every time Collin does anything, or every time we recycle the ball to restart an attack, or every time a player slides for the ball. The nervous atmosphere now does this team no favours. This is the East Stand so I can't speak for South and West but it is noticeably different in the East now.

Collin didn't come for long balls that entered his penalty box twice in 3 minutes today. The second time was the first goal. He used to go for it even if high risk before. Now he has stopped. His confidence seems shot. We are a worse team for it.
A perceived better atmosphere with lower crowds doesn’t pay the bills.

Somehow I don’t think the consortium will share your who cares if the crowds drop outlook.

Playerwise, currently Collin, Bridge, Husin, Morton and Crowther are squad players if we want to be anywhere near the top of this league…oh to have their 9 who had pace and height and scared our back 3 to death ! That’s sadly lacking in the squad.
This is interesting. 12 months ago Bridge and Husin were praised assets that we were scared of losing to league clubs. And remember of course that we did have that number nine, until a few hours before the season started when he jumped ship unexpectedly.
How would these players perform under a different coach? I’m not saying that because I want Maher gone, but because it’s an indication of whether there’s likely to be any improvement in any of them. I think Crowther has the potential to be a top player at this level if coached correctly, but would suit a back 4 more than a 5. Husin, in a good side, is again capable of raising his game. Morton I’m less sure about - I think this level currently is a stretch for him - but you have to take a gamble on a player like that so we were right to sign him. Bridge can be effective at this level, but he’s had a good couple of seasons which I suspect may represent his peak. Collin has some good attributes, but being a goalkeeper at any level is about confidence and consistency. I’ve never subscribed to the view that he is a top top keeper, but if he carries on improving he’ll be a decent lower league keeper. If he doesn’t, he could be at Enfield Town in 3 years.

We need a new keeper.

Missed Taylor big time. More so than any other player

We have too many players out of form. Moncur does all the pretty things. Has he actually got any assits?

Husin way of the boil.

Walker looks good

Negative from the word go. Only 1 up top.

How come most other teams work the magic on there players.

In life you got to be a killer. To succeed.

I love Kev, something has to change. Roll selves up time.

We lack horrible players we need to get a couple in. Old school types. Every good team has them. We have miley. That is it.

Anyway, going watch my sons U9s team who play better from the back.

We are a poor man's Southgates England.

So my thoughts…

It was a poor performance, make no mistake, but also take nothing away from Gateshead, they were excellent.

Bonne, in my opinion, played well, just can’t be a sole striker. He won nearly all of the flick ons that a fit Walker or Pepple would have run on to. He also looks lively in the 6 yard box and I’m confident that it will click for him soon.

Gus is gus, we all love him and we are fortunate to have him, but in being so good going forward, he lacks defensive nous and that was evident in Gateshead’s first goal.

It WAS a penalty, absolutely no complaints, from those fans near it like me, nor the players. Their striker toed the ball away and Collin brings him down. I’m also convinced that when our back line can settle a tad more, so will Collin’s performances.

A random special mention for George Wind who I thought was excellent when he came on. He won most of his headers against some strong players, but also made a couple of good overlapping runs late in the game. Looks like a good talent.

Also thought Foran was okay - he looks quite pacey and good in the tackle, so not a bad replacement for now.

We badly need Miley & Coker back - our midfield was non existent from about 60 mins onwards, which aided the very disjointed performance.

Do I think the season will continue like this? No.
Will cohesion soon come and we’ll start playing well? I think so.

We’re the national league equivalent of Belgium. Good players for this level, just not playing as a team as yet.
I thought Wind showed he had real pace too. Would love to see him getting more time on the pitch

A perceived better atmosphere with lower crowds doesn’t pay the bills.

Somehow I don’t think the consortium will share your who cares if the crowds drop outlook.
Correct, as they should, but I am still not going to care if the bandwagoners get upset. The core 5,000 who stuck with the club know who they are. We are the ones that deserve success.

Every time I read someone complain 'the fans will stop coming', I see it as a thinly veiled 'I will stop coming'.

Back