• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Maidenhead United

As per OBL nothing happening- maybe even until the Jan window- so it, with no transfer rumours , will just go the way it went before. And amplify the frustration to no good end. In my opinion, others may disagree.
The Mod team doesn't disagree. It turned into a cesspit of frustration a few weeks ago, hence why we have closed it temporarily, until things start to look up in the transfer department. We haven't got the time or patience to be dealing with playground squabbles. Kev has made it clear he knows what he wants, but it would appear they will be waiting until January to secure these EFL/Prem targets, unless we have a major injury crisis.

My all time favourite player. Hands down.

But if we are in a genuine relegation battle, the board would need to make changes and that's just part of the game.

I'm confident we will turn things around and finish in a comfortable mid table finish but I also do think that the fans expectations at the start of the season are adding to the fire.

Myself and a small section of fans anticipated a mid table scrap as we transitioned

The only negative in my eyes, I was hoping that we would have invested in players who would have improved over the next couple of of seasons and transitioned with us, but instead we have signed players on the way out on short term contracts so that also blurred expectations.

If we would have brought in rough diamonds and spent this season polishing them, we would have been a bit more patient, but instead we've brought in a couple of players that are a single roll of the dice
Exactly this, and the model that was being presented to us was that we would bring in players that complemented what we already had? Attention to detail in getting the right attitude, commitment, attributes, and bring them on in the squad that had already pulled up trees last season. I`m not quite sure what has happened with that methodology and patience with recruitment. We were also assured that scouts would have watched these players coming in multiple times, and not just got anybody in at short notice? The loss of Cards, Kensdale and injuries haven`t helped, but if you are setting your stall out and getting the right players in that going forwards would better the club, why go back to players on the downward slope who haven`t played regular football? If this was pre takeover with you know who still here we would all be up in arms? The excuses will only last so long, safety this season is now the goal, after that we need to be ready for at least the play offs next season. Whoever is at the helm next season, whether that is still Maher and co, they will have had a full, un-interrupted pre-season without any off field antics to worry about, for the first time in a while. Time is ticking on for some of these new players that have come in, not fully fit, trying to step up from divisions below, they need to start proving that playing for SUFC is what they really want and give it their all. I hope that Maher and co have drilled them this week, and I`m sure the players know that they have fallen way below the standard required to play at Roots Hall? I`m expecting a massive step up against Eastleigh, give 100%, press, work your socks off, if we do that we will all be happy. Win, lose or draw play with spirit and high tempo. I also hope that all is well in the camp between players and the three amigos, because if it is not they are never going to get a tune out of this squad? Time will tell over the next few games. Up the Blues

Three coaches to come up with the trash we are watching every week is unbelievable?
No fresh ideas is about right for Maher and it definitely will not get better until he is gone….we knew it was coming with him , tactically clueless and very very stubborn til the end, helppp

Exactly this, and the model that was being presented to us was that we would bring in players that complemented what we already had? Attention to detail in getting the right attitude, commitment, attributes, and bring them on in the squad that had already pulled up trees last season. I`m not quite sure what has happened with that methodology and patience with recruitment. We were also assured that scouts would have watched these players coming in multiple times, and not just got anybody in at short notice? The loss of Cards, Kensdale and injuries haven`t helped, but if you are setting your stall out and getting the right players in that going forwards would better the club, why go back to players on the downward slope who haven`t played regular football? If this was pre takeover with you know who still here we would all be up in arms? The excuses will only last so long, safety this season is now the goal, after that we need to be ready for at least the play offs next season. Whoever is at the helm next season, whether that is still Maher and co, they will have had a full, un-interrupted pre-season without any off field antics to worry about, for the first time in a while. Time is ticking on for some of these new players that have come in, not fully fit, trying to step up from divisions below, they need to start proving that playing for SUFC is what they really want and give it their all. I hope that Maher and co have drilled them this week, and I`m sure the players know that they have fallen way below the standard required to play at Roots Hall? I`m expecting a massive step up against Eastleigh, give 100%, press, work your socks off, if we do that we will all be happy. Win, lose or draw play with spirit and high tempo. I also hope that all is well in the camp between players and the three amigos, because if it is not they are never going to get a tune out of this squad? Time will tell over the next few games. Up the Blues
This is still the plan, but 4 of our most tactically important players across the pitch are now unavailable, 2 of them permanently.

It's caused an identity crisis of sorts, we just need to hope this is a blip rather than the beginnings of a decline.

This is still the plan, but 4 of our most tactically important players across the pitch are now unavailable, 2 of them permanently.

It's caused an identity crisis of sorts, we just need to hope this is a blip rather than the beginnings of a decline.
I understand that and did mention that in my post, it`s the ones that have come in, Crowther, Gubbins, Bonne, Moncur, Waldron, Morton? If we did achieve promotion, seems a little way off, none of these are good enough for EFL football? In fact, some of them are not good enough for NL football many would argue? Let`s see how the next 10 games pan out? These are all Maher and co signings, under the watch of John Still?

I understand that and did mention that in my post, it`s the ones that have come in, Crowther, Gubbins, Bonne, Moncur, Waldron, Morton? If we did achieve promotion, seems a little way off, none of these are good enough for EFL football? In fact, some of them are not good enough for NL football many would argue? Let`s see how the next 10 games pan out? These are all Maher and co signings, under the watch of John Still?
You did, but my point was that players are brought in to complement, supplement and augment the existing team. But the core of that team has been eviscerated so that becomes more difficult.

Kensdale had an inauspicious start to his player career here bur came good. Other than a purple goalscoring patch last season, Cardwell was a bit of a blunt instrument up front (despite his athleticism and brilliance off the ball)

There is no reason that those other signings you mention can't come good with a bit of time. We have signed many players under Still & Maher. Most of which have been hits rather than misses.

Completely agree that the jury is out on some and the next 10 games will prove key in shaping our season. We could go unbeaten and all this will be forgotten, but if we continue at 1.08 points per game then some serious answers will be needed to explain it.

Moncur and Bonne are easily good enough for EFL 1 and 2 in terms of ability, if you can inspire them to play at their best. George scored 23 goals in 97 appearances for us from a midfield position and created loads of chances for others with his undoubted ability. We sold him when Barnsley came knocking for an undisclosed fee but thought to be £500K. As I said before they both can be temperamental at times, but keep them happy build a team around them and they could get you into the playoffs.

Are there stats for this game?
In particular yardage by Bonne, KAF, Moncs and Noor; my guess would be that Noor did more yards, made more passes, tackles, interceptions etc than the others.
And also that he was more involved which is why he has become the "easy" target to be critical of.
And, imo, the return of Danny Waldron will give an added help in both penalty boxes with set pieces.

One of the many low points Saturday was the selection of, quite justified, songs sung by the away fans. Ranging from “How s**t must you be we’re winning away”, to “2-0 to the part timers” and finally “Are you Marlow in disguise”. What a time to be alive.
Low points for us indeed but you can hardly blame them - I know nothing about Maidenhead's history as a club but winning 2-0 against a Big Ex League Team in front of nearly 7,000 fans must be up there in their all-time best results. Let's face it, if the boot was on the other foot and we were winning at Spurs/Arsenal/Man U etc we'd be giving the biggun and I reckon "Are you Col U in disguise?" would get an airing!

It's all football, you've got to enjoy the good times at any level...

From the Minutes of our most recent (26th September) Liaison Meeting with the Club:

"The Club is currently trying to sign a defender on loan, and has some targets for when the transfer window opens in January. The Club is also looking at permanent transfer targets in the forward areas."

Why would we waste money rushing people in now when we have genuine candidates for when the League transfer window opens in January? Yes, means we'll have some problems now for a bit, but means those personnel we have are going to have to up their games short term, and work harder.

We announced Taylor Foran on loan later that day.

Presumably they have their eye on an EFL defender who they’ve been told won’t be let go until they sign a replacement in January.

What interests me about the “get better players in” mentality is who do people expect us to sign that’ll suddenly improve the squad .. who do they think is left out there that’s been missed by other clubs? Or is the answer they’ve got no clue as it’s not their job? I’d much rather the club think long term.

We’ve already got Bonne and Moncur who’ve got higher level experience and we’re weaker, not sure panic buying more of the same is the solution.

Better players doesn’t necessarily mean from a higher level. I’d generally be looking lower down rather than higher up for sure. That was how we originally turned around the team under Maher.

The players we are trying to replace were all sourced from lower down mid-season.

I believe Kensdale started training with us around October/November time but that transfer was held up by an embargo.

I don’t mind if they are work in progress. I’d rather rawer players who will improve rather than older players who have already peaked. The most depressing thing about our current squad is that there are so few players who should be better next season than they are now. KAF and Wind are recent signings we can project as improving but so many of our squad has already peaked. Maher injected enthusiasm, athleticism and youth with his signings when he first came in. He needs to do the same again.

Low points for us indeed but you can hardly blame them - I know nothing about Maidenhead's history as a club but winning 2-0 against a Big Ex League Team in front of nearly 7,000 fans must be up there in their all-time best results. Let's face it, if the boot was on the other foot and we were winning at Spurs/Arsenal/Man U etc we'd be giving the biggun and I reckon "Are you Col U in disguise?" would get an airing!

It's all football, you've got to enjoy the good times at any level...
That’s why I said it was “quite justified”.

Reactions: DCC
Moncur and Bonne are easily good enough for EFL 1 and 2 in terms of ability, if you can inspire them to play at their best. George scored 23 goals in 97 appearances for us from a midfield position and created loads of chances for others with his undoubted ability. We sold him when Barnsley came knocking for an undisclosed fee but thought to be £500K. As I said before they both can be temperamental at times, but keep them happy build a team around them and they could get you into the playoffs.
I don't think Moncur and Bonne are the problem. It's more the fact that they're playing with 9 other players who don't possess anywhere near the natural ability they have.

I don't think Moncur and Bonne are the problem. It's more the fact that they're playing with 9 other players who don't possess anywhere near the natural ability they have.
Said this a few times. Too often you see Moncur with the ball at his feet and the players around him just aren’t on the same wave length. He’s crying out for people to make a run for him and give him options but we’re a bit too static where that’s concerned at the moment.

I know none of you want to watch Col U goals really but here are just a few from George mostly for us showing what a happy motivated and crucially, supported Moncur can do. Yes some of the goals are standard stuff but look at his enthusiasm, his positioning and finishing. Yes he is a few years older now, but that player is still there somewhere if maybe a touch slower than he was then.

The Mod team doesn't disagree. It turned into a cesspit of frustration a few weeks ago, hence why we have closed it temporarily, until things start to look up in the transfer department. We haven't got the time or patience to be dealing with playground squabbles. Kev has made it clear he knows what he wants, but it would appear they will be waiting until January to secure these EFL/Prem targets, unless we have a major injury crisis.
Do you think Kev’s comment that was around “I know what I need to do and I’ll need to accelerate it” was relating to a signing or two? That was my assumption.

Really sitting in the west nearer the south stand and hardly heard anything. Great reception for Benji. But we're struggling to get the rest of the ground making a noise to encourage the players
It was noisy at the start of the game in the more northern end of the west. I always wonder how far the noise travels but it felt energetic and properly loud for a bit there. Shame to hear it was getting as far as i thought.

How do we get the noise to spread round the ground a bit more often? People used to talk about the 'Roots Hall Roar' and that surely couldn't have just come from one section of the ground?

The thing I keep thinking is there is a good team in there. You can’t play like we did against Solihull and be inherently bad. The question is how can the team be so good once every half dozen or so games & awful the rest of the time? Unfortunately you can only put it down to how they are being trained and motivated. I’m not ‘Maher out’ at the moment as he obviously has done well up to now but something has to change fairly soon or it’s going to get very tough for him to stay in the job.

Back