• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Maidenhead United

I don’t think I can add anything more than what has already been said/posted.
Something is not right in the camp and whatever it is they need to sort it quickly.
Confidence is such a major contributor in any walk of life and football is no exception but today that performance was bloody awful and I would have them all in a room banging their heads together - management included and work out why they are unable to interact with each other.
I witnessed a supporter today shout obscenities at Bridge to which I saw him reply to the supporter shut the f**k up

I was never a Maher fan but, I have grown to like him and I actually feel a little for him as I think the players have let him down but more importantly themselves and I don’t think we should change management at this moment in time but it is easy to understand why so many want to

Our recruitment this summer has been disappointing so far that is for sure.

Hillson - Not played but only non-contract
Wind - Barely appeared but with GSM our top scorer that is hardly surprising
Walker - Injured for most of the season but hasn't looked like the pure goalscorer we were hoping for yet in the appearances he has made
Bonne - Awful, possibly one of the worst strikers I have ever seen pull on a Southend shirt.
Pepple - Bang average
Moncur - Yet to see much from him or have him control a game like we were hoping
Yes agreed. I think Walker could prove to be a good signing, Wind too maybe longer term. Pepple I think has done okay, I’m bemused why Bonne’s had so much game time recently in comparison. Hillson… if he never plays we won’t know!

It’s fair to say none of the above have hit the ground running though. Then add the Jan signings of Crowther, Morton & Waldron, where the same applies. I think it’s fair to say our recruitment in the last year has been patchy at best, poor at worst. Is John Still as good as we’ve been led to believe?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Gus picked up his 5th yellow, suspended for Rochdale? Brilliant.

Less said about the performance the better. If Kev wasn’t a club legend he’d be getting scolded wouldn’t he? Change needed.
I'm not sure of the rules/laws? I assumed he'd made sure he got booked to be suspended for the cup game but maybe that's not the case.

I’m quite relaxed about this and today’s result I’ve been mocked and ridiculed for quite sometime for what you call my ‘negative’ comments about our chances and the team thats been built … all that’s happening are the chickens are all coming home to roost, year on year lack of ‘proper’ investment in the squad has left us with a bunch of part time standard players loosing to part time clubs .. I love Kevin Maher and couldn’t imagine post Kevin Maher period … he simply has to get it right , but all I see around us are up and coming managers who are better than him with a better eye for talent .. I’m sorry but I simply don’t buy all the John still eye for talent bollox… where is it then ? Because ok looking at a bunch of players who are simply not good enough for semi pro football … there’s only one way we are getting out of this league and that’s investment , **** painting the bars , putting chips in the cafe and changing the carpets in the lounges … performance =results =bums on seats = more income = bigger budgets … stop ****ing around with panic buys and half chances and start acting like a club that has just been brought out by a gaggle of millionaires ( because that’s what they are). The players we have aren’t good enough yes some are legends like Husin, but he’s not good enough at his best alongside people who are better than him maybe but he’s not , Morton not good enough , crowther not good enough Colin not good enough , bridge not good enough , moncur not good enough Boone not good enough … you simply aren’t winning games carrying that many pasangers sadly .. this standard big strong and ultimately fast lads will get you results .. we have a group of runts and whimps .. but nothing I’ve not said before … and remember it’s only my opinion. It’s not real
Brilliant post mate and sadly true

I'm not sure of the rules/laws? I assumed he'd made sure he got booked to be suspended for the cup game but maybe that's not the case.

Possibly, not too sure myself either. My thought process was 5 league bookings would maybe have to be served in a league match but if he can serve it next Saturday then brilliant, big chance for Wind to make an impression.

Today was awful. No leadership on the pitch, dare I say it no leadership off the pitch. I love this management, but today the players weren’t on it.

Bonne was awful today. Pebble must be wondering how he isn’t starting a game after scoring 2 the other week.

Moncur looked a whole different level when he joined us. Now he looks disinterested.

Colin’s confidence is shot to pieces.

And we’ve lost both Kensdale and Cardwell, arguably our two best players.

We need a Timlin/Deegan/McCormack type midfielder who can take the game by the scruff of the neck and demand more. We don’t have that at the moment.

I’m far from Maher out, but questions need to be asked. The team today, on paper, was 10 times the team Maidenhead put out. The question is why did we fall so short against a team who, no disrespect to them, really weren’t very good (I appreciate we were much worse)

If I'm COSU I give Maher the next 5 games to see what happens;

Rochdale (A)
Aldershot (A)
Tamworth (H)
Yeovil (H)
Altrincham (A)

I'd want at least 8 points

Last edited:
I think King Kev may have lost the dressing room a bit? We’ve not been great so far this season, but it’s got a lot worse since the Kensdale debacle and a few snipets I’ve heard around that would back that claim up.
Can you expand? Did Kev want to keep Kensdale and players objected?

Did anyone else think M'head should have been wearing their 2nd strip? for me their shirt was too black and similar to our strip.
Ref was very poor and again inconsistant.
Both goals from set pieces and very poor marking and movement.
Walker was okay BUT should have scored twice, Bonne? needs to work harder and is living on reputation.
Pep looked strong for his cameo.
Gus booked so now suspended, I feared he would get sent off.
The game plan is clear but not being acted on, Kev is as frustrared as anyone by the slow ball, side ball stuff BUT it is HIS JOB to make the mind set/confidence etc changes and get everyone doing what they are supposed to.
KAF showed a few bits but often was missing and left a whole in the middle, as did Moncur, with only Noor sticking to his role: we are SO missing Cav & Coker who do what needs doing FOR THE TEAM, including defending set pieces, where Cards is a HUGE miss & Bonne doesn't do it atm.
Lots of work and truths needed in the training.
We mentioned the fact that it was hard to work out players because there colours surely they should be wearing they're away strip

Suspensions for the accumulation of cautions are competition-specific, so five cautions in National League matches (within the first 19 games) result in a one-match suspension from the next National League fixture, in this case Rochdale away.

Had anyone been shown a red card today, those suspensions are not competition-specific, so would’ve been effective in The FA Cup next week.

Can anyone tell us what exactly happened with Crowther in the penalty area. Seemed like the whole ground wanted a pen. Thought the ref was going to ruin the game ended up being a bad referee but our performance was even worse.

I feel like I’m going insane writing the same things each week. I dream of an attacking style of football, PLEASE CHANGE THE SYSTEM.

Go 4-4-2 if you must but wing backs aren’t working. Gus is a bonus to this style but the trade off is not worth it against the whole team.
Absolutely agree, wing backs is a waste of time, Jack gets the ball too close to our defence to impact the game going forward. I think I only saw him run forwards once today, a far cry from last season.

Back