• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 York City

Come on now people. I agree it was not a great performance but let’s get realistic here. Without the context of how our season has been (embargo, points deduction, tiny squad etc) that was a dreadful performance and relegation form.

But it needs to be assessed within the context of that. We were flying not long ago but now the players (especially the midfield) are done. Frazzled. Playing like they are into their last reserves. It’s no great shock our best players are those coming into the club and not those who have been battling this whole time. I would estimate our team have probably played a whole seasons worth of football each already and are having to dig deep now.

Quite simply we need more reinforcements. Especially in midfield. Our defence is excellent and holding up well but the middle of the park is over run and in dire need of additional bodies. I fear without 1 or 2 more in there we could disappear into the abyss of NLS. Loans would be fine but we need bodies and fast.

Let’s not be too hard on these players who have put their bodies (and risked longer term career damage) to fight for our cause. This season isn’t over and we need to get behind them and be the 12th man for them. Now more than ever.

Well another case of Deja-Vu.

56 years ago to the day York City came to town and went away with a 1-0 victory.

7 days ago Gateshead who were far superior to York won 1-0.

In March last year we lost all 7 games scoring just 2 goals. So we now have another run of failing to score albeit January and February.

We’ve lost 4 of our last 5 home games and failed to score in three games since Harry came back into the side. And not done much better since Cav came back in.

After we narrowly and undeservedly lost to Barnet (twice) and Bromley around Xmas I thought (foolishly) that with new players we would push on towards the play offs. Sadly we have reverted to norm.

Sandat should not have been dropped. We need to try something different to Bridge.

We had maybe 6 chances today - they fell to Ralph and Crowther.

Go through the team - as we’ve done so often - and count the potential goals.

York as many others who are fighting for their lives know we can’t score and will sit back and wait for a mistake. However good and pretty we are, if we can’t score goals we will be stuffed.

I asked last week and got criticised for it - are the 3 new players any better than we’ve got - are they what we needed to improve the side? Coker is being missed - where will he fit in?

Where’s the pace, where’s the bite?

We did well on the nice pitches in the autumn, maybe we just aren’t any good on softer pitches that we now have - just like last season.

Still it’s a plastic pitch next week against a team that conceded 7 - what could possibly go wrong.

Bridge needs to be dropped ,sorry !!!In fact there are a few need to be given a rest ,Formation needs to be changed also Without change we will be relegated, I wont knock Maher but he also needs to change

Overreacting in terms of the performance, not the position we find ourselves in. There's a big difference. You're right, we all should be concerned about our league position.
I'd argue that Gateshead are far from an average side. They play some delightful football at pace and ran rings round us last week.
York were a different proposition today. Dogged, hardworking, and well drilled defensively.
Everyone put in a shift today. It's a game of fine margins. Cards is still finding his way back to full fitness, Waldron has come from part time football and is perhaps a yard off the pace. I do believe there's a decent partnership there which can be developed.
Some very good comments, Lincoln Shrimp. I am wondering it is time to give Jack Wood a chance as an attack-minded midfielder. John Still rates him highly and with the first team struggling this might be the opportunity he needs to kick-start his career at Southend.

Sounds to me like the team was low on confidence after consecutive defeats.

This team wasn’t too defensive when we were winning games but the bad weather took away our momentum and then we got tonked at Chesterfield. What then happens is players get tentative, they stop making the runs forward they were making when things were going well, they hesitate before playing that through ball.

Hopefully an away trip to a team even lower on confidence will be the cure.

Cav frustrated me a few times today. There were times he got the ball, had space in front of him to drive into, but would take 2 steps forward then pass it sideways.

Last 2 games we just don't seem to be putting teams under constant pressure, which you should be doing at home.

Sandat or Wood should start in place of one of the 3 mini mahers to link the midfield and attack in the centre. I know Sandat gers a bit of stick but he's very good at dropping deep and laying the ball off and, albeit not an amazing goal threat, he has more goals his locker than the other 3 combined
Noticed that today when Sandat came on, willing to drop deep and wanted the ball at every opportunity. He was threatening to change the game until the goal. Definitely something to consider for the next game.

Last edited:
Oh dear! Where to begin on this one? I will start with a positive and that is Crowther, who I thought worked his nuts off today. Yes, he should probably have scored rather than try the square ball to Cards and maybe if his earlier headed attempt had been directed down instead of at a good height for the keeper to save he would have been today’s hero. Credit to him though for being in the goal scoring positions, it’s more than can be said for any of the others and the fact he is a defender just underlines how weak we are up front.

Although our attacking was still predominantly down the left, we did at least have one or two sorties forward on the right today, but in my opinion we need to vary our forward play much more. We did seem to get more crosses into the York box today and some of them earlier than normal, but the strategy is very much one of hope rather than picking out a man to be on the end of a delivery. The quality of the crosses is also inconsistent with some being blocked before they make it to the six-yard box and others clearing everyone and going way beyond the back post. Often when they do make it to the target area they are too close to the goalkeeper making life easy for him in collecting the ball. The theory of get the ball into the opposition’s box enough times and eventually you will score is clearly not working because either the quality of the cross is poor, the strikers are in the wrong place or the delivery is so late that the opposition have crowded out the box, and it’s often a combination of those things. I would like to see a central midfielder running at the opposition defence, perhaps the occasional ball over the top for our front two to chase. If we do persist with crosses from the flanks maybe aim them for someone arriving late into the box to pick up and have a shot, with the strikers staying alert in case the keeper parries a shot. We just don’t seem to do any of that now and it’s why we have become so predictable.

York came with a plan not to lose the match and were set up accordingly. We do not have the creativity in our squad to open up and break down teams that utilise the tactics of getting as many men as possible behind the ball, it’s really as simple as that. Additionally, we are always vulnerable to a sudden break away attack or from a set piece and that in a nutshell is how things panned out today. It appears the coaches of all the other clubs in the league have now worked out how to neutralise us and it’s worrying that we don’t have an alternative plan of attack to spring a surprise on them.

To anyone still thinking we are too good to be relegated, well, we need to win matches and to do that we need to score goals. In the last few games, we have shown we are very easy to defend against so the possibility of playing Braintree Town, Aveley and Chelmsford City next season, assuming the latter don’t get promoted this season, is a possibility we can’t rule out. Something I am sure none of us would have even contemplated a few years ago.

Just back from the excellent SUEPA event. Attended by Kev and JR amongst others. Kev naturally disappointed with the result but doesn’t feel we are far away from getting it right. Just going through a bit of transition player wise and obvs need to be more dangerous in the final third but they will be working on it for sure. JR also in good spirits but said after a meeting with the council this week it could be another 6-8 weeks before the deal between Ron and the council is finalised.

As for the game, another bad day at the office. Like last week York came for a point and left with all three. Can’t criticise the work rate of the team but we are massively lacking in the final third. Cardwell and Waldron for all their running were left to feed off scraps at best. We simply don’t shoot enough and don’t get enough runners beyond the front two to threaten the opposition. Bridge again continues to frustrate when trying to beat his man 4 times before crossing. Crowther who impressed could and should have had two goals, a good save from a header and then choosing to pass rather than shoot himself. Ralph twice went close as did Gus and Cardwell with headers. Then what looked to be a 0-0 draw finished with York scoring having barely troubled us second half.

Next week now a massive game and a must win with Aldershot and Altrincham to follow. Anyone who doesn’t think we are in a scrap at the bottom take a look at the table. We simply must get three points next week

Player wise, Colin’s kicking today was woeful, defence was solid with Crowther impressing. Gus and Bridge worked hard but end product just not there again from outwide.

Midfield looked too similar today. Husin had a very off day. Miley did what he does but for me Moreton was the pick and looked very comfortable on the ball and I was surprised he got taken off. But we need more creativity from our midfield players

Waldron looked sharp and made some good runs but had little service and will take time to get up to speed at this level. Cardwell again worked hard but looks off the pace compared to the player we had earlier in the season.

That’s 5 defeats in 7, only 4 goals scored this calendar year. We will be ok and I’m certain we will stay up but it’s going to be a bumpy ride over the next few months. The team seem to have lost the spark as have some of the fans. The ground again like last week really lacked atmosphere at times. We’ve had runs like this under Kev before but now there are no excuses. But if we want to have a real go next season and get out this league we can’t be playing like that week after week

On to Oxford City we go

Back