• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 York City

Collin was really poor and I’m sorry to say might need replacing. York’s only chance in the first half came from a poor long pass to Bridge, and he gave the ball away cheaply before York’s winnner.

Having said that, and despite being under par, we had more than enough chances to win the game. Bridge/Husin need a rocket Kev, just play the simple pass/cross. I’m sick to death of the fannying around backheel bollocks.

I think we are in agreement in general.

I am certainly not advocating long ball, but you could argue we controlled the game today by pass, pass, pass, but the bottom line is we lost! We didn't shoot and we didn't work their keeper nearly enough. So it's certainly not a tactic that yields results without a cutting edge and that's what we haven't got at the moment.

The problem for me is we haven't got an attacking midfielder who stays in the middle of the park in the hole behind the strikers. As happened today, Husin gets drawn out to the left and totally unbalances the team and opponents are now setting up to be attacked down the right.

Bridge can't get a first time ball in, so either retreats , slows play down, before eventually getting a cross in taking so long it makes anticipating for a forward so difficult to do. Making play to predictable. That is what we have to change.

How I would do it with the personnel we have at the club?

Play the team we did today, but tell Husin in no uncertain terms to stay in a channel up the middle of the park and lurk right on the edge of the box for set pieces. I'd even fine him if he come in the changing room with chalk on his boots. Ralph and Bridge should have enough nouse between them to control the left hand channel. Husin in the meantime can be the outlet for the deeper midfield and look to play the through balls in the for the forwards and give them something to feed off for a change. Instruct corner takers to take in swinging corners coming in over the penalty spot, not the edge of the six yard box and feeding the keeper. Same with the long throws, get them into the box aiming for the penalty spot with Husin lurking on the edge of the box to shoot if the ball breaks free.

That's what I think you and I are seeing as a possible answer. Something to link the deeper midfield with the strikers.
Said this on here some weeks back. Painfully obvious that if you dont get up and support the strikers then we are forced to go wide with our attacks. Opposition centre backs are left to man mark our strikers, we are unable to prise them out of their comfort zone and create space in the middle of these defences. Every time the ball comes in from wide, defenders are there clearing it.
We simply have to create space to shoot. Three defending central midfielders is whats making us so one dimensional. Paul Clark said the same on the radio today, as soon as we brought back Miley to play alongside Husin, thats it. Today was worse because Morton gets the ball and plays it then stands there admiring it, just like Miley and Husin.
All three of our central midfielders need to be rotating turns to burst into the box on attacks, with or without the ball.
Toothless right now and its so frustrating to watch.

It is often said that the way a team plays mirrors the image and career of the manager/head coach.
Kevin Maher was a good footballer who passed the ball well but only scored an average of one goal a season.
Anyone else notice the similarities?
Have a laugh. Kev passed to the brilliant Gower, why wouldnt he go sideways with that. But no one gave Freddy the ball more than Kev, again for good reason, and those were obviously forward passes.
Never mind the great triangles they passed in those days, back when we'd pass and move through midfield.

Kev passed sideways when we played Bristol City when he tackled, drove down the pitch and laid the ball off (if you were standing at 90 degree angle to the pitch). Utter nonsense.

We have been found out far too much recently, our game plan of "everything goes to Bridge" has been totally exposed by recent opposition teams and we've had no plan B. Kensdale won't pass out to Gus, because that, presumably is not what he's been told to do, and, as a result a frustrated Gus is criminally under used despite being in acres of space much of the time. Bridge had two or three people closing him down and also committing fouls on him, and that is how other teams have decided to cope with him.

At least Crowther and Miley did start to use that option a few times in the 2nd half, and we progressed with more effect than the left hand side had produced. I intensely dislike the fannying about with the ball from Collin to Kensdale right at the back, but Collin's kicking is so inconsistent, I guess it's the safest option. Crowther had a good game, he showed a keenness to get forward with the ball at his feet and to be an option in the box. Our MOTM on the day.

Morton, Miley and Husin just doesn't work, although Husin should be probing forwards much more than he was. I don't believe Fonguck is the answer, far too lightweight and little end product. I'd quite like to see Jack Wood given the chance in that role to be fair. We are absolutely crying out for someone in the Wordsworth mould!

While Waldron looked fantastic last week being subbed on, the start showed he is still a little way off. That wouldn't be a problem if Cardwell was firing on all cylinders, but he's simply not. Sandat to start next match.

I thought York were an industrious side and that Alex Woodyard (who I always liked), was a very solid member of their side. Him, the captain and the number 9 were all very decent for them.

Officials were decent, barely noticed them which is normally an indication they did ok.

Collin - 6
Gus - 6
Crowther - 8, MOTM
Kensdale - 7
Ralph - 7
Bridge - 6
Miley - 6
Morton - 7
Husin - 5
Cardwell - 6
Waldron - 5

Subs:
Sandat for Waldron - 6
Dackers for Morton - n/a

Peter Taylor said himself at the excellent SUEPA event, that these new players need to be given a bit of time and that we have to be patient. This season is all about survival and ridding ourselves of the Ron Martin legacy before next season we can go on and do our own version of a Chesterfield.

Collin was really poor and I’m sorry to say might need replacing. York’s only chance in the first half came from a poor long pass to Bridge, and he gave the ball away cheaply before York’s winnner.

Having said that, and despite being under par, we had more than enough chances to win the game. Bridge/Husin need a rocket Kev, just play the simple pass/cross. I’m sick to death of the fannying around backheel bollocks.
Ive said it before we need another keeper Colin not only one but as the lat line of defence he does not comarned the box And for two weeks running his punching the ball seemes to have cost us the game maybe in being a bit harsh .But that is the way i see it .we need another keeper to make him fight for his place .

Ive said it before we need another keeper Colin not only one but as the lat line of defence he does not comarned the box And for two weeks running his punching the ball seemes to have cost us the game maybe in being a bit harsh .But that is the way i see it .we need another keeper to make him fight for his place .
Absolutely, kicking is atrocious at times and he is not great in other ways either….oh for a fit Steve Arnold to take all the pressure off.
Every single week except the Gateshead Pink Pratt I would take there keepers over Collin.
Any aspirations of winning the League next year and he would be the first to replace, he’s about a 5/10 overall keeper.

Not much to add to what has already been said. For me the problem is that we are now too predictable so even the poorer teams can negate our tactics to some extent.

It’s all tippy tappy, sideways passes and nice triangles in our own half then eventually get it out to Bridge (or occasionally to Scott-Morriss to mix it up). They eventually cross it, by which time our attackers are outnumbered by defenders. Repeat ad infinitum.

Hardly ever did anyone try driving runs straight through their midfield, and when they did it was Adam Crowther and he so nearly created a goal.

Therefore the problem is at the moment the midfield where we have three decent, but similar players. If we play Miley and Morton (who I thought was excellent) then we have to replace Husin with someone who can change the point and direction of our attacks.

We tried it with Sandat yesterday and he may be a stop gap. Callum Powell is another option when fit as he can be a good attacking threat and enjoys running at people. I don’t think Fonguck is the answer. We may need to get a youngster from a Championship club with pace and talent who needs the experience of first team football - someone of the ilk of Zak Brunt, Jack Payne or James Olayinka.

Last edited:
Not much to add to what has already been said. For me the problem is that we are now too predictable so even the poorer teams can negate our tactics to some extent.

It’s all tippy tappy, sideways passes and nice triangles in our own half then eventually get it out to Bridge (or occasionally to Scott-Morriss) to mix it up. They eventually cross it, by which time our attackers are outnumbered by defenders. Repeat ad infinitum.

Hardly ever did anyone try driving runs straight through their midfield, and when they did it was Adam Crowther and he so nearly created a goal.

Therefore the problem is at the moment the midfield where we have three decent, but similar players. If we play Miley and Morton (who I thought was excellent) then we have to replace Husin with someone who can change the point and direction of our attacks.

We tried it with Sandat yesterday and he may be a stop gap. Callum Powell is another option when fit as he can be a good attacking threat and enjoys running at people. I don’t think Fonguck is the answer. We may need to get a youngster from a Championship club with pace and talent who needs the experience of first team football - someone of the ilk of Zak Brunt, Jack Payne or James Olayinka.
Morton imo was different class to Miley and Husin. First touch, passing, vision was a bit like Glenn Hoddle but as we know the manager loves the other two no matter how they go nowhere and amazingly Morton was the one he took off ( sponsors POTM)
Early days of the rut but I would see what Kev comes up with next week? If it’s the Jack Bridge show again then it proves he is bereft of any new ideas and I would swap him around in the pecking order with Currie.
Player for player except the keeper we should be matching, beating all these non League, part time outfits.
The last two weeks have been a carbon copy of each other and I have little faith in him changing it!
Very worrying that he thought we played well with all that negative tippy tappy stuff and to quote the 10 points deduction was ridiculous having safely already cleared it weeks ago!

Last edited:
Have a laugh. Kev passed to the brilliant Gower, why wouldnt he go sideways with that. But no one gave Freddy the ball more than Kev, again for good reason, and those were obviously forward passes.
Never mind the great triangles they passed in those days, back when we'd pass and move through midfield.
Precisely.

Kev played sideways when he was surrounded by players who didnt move, didnt create space, didnt run off the ball or seem to even want the ball.

When he had good wingers and lively strikers around him he was pretty much the ideal midfielder, tackled hard, won the ball and passed excellently.

Its a team game. The balance in ours isnt right at the mo, and its his job to tweak and change that.

We are so predictable and most coaches in this division will have cottoned on by now hence the slump in results. Einstein's definition of insanity is just as true in football as in other areas and we need a Plan B as many others have said.
It might also be time to have a rethink about recruitment policy. Over reliance on promising younger prospects from lower down the pyramid is just as questionable as bringing in experience that has seen better days. Successful sides manage a blend of the two.

Absolutely, kicking is atrocious at times and he is not great in other ways either….oh for a fit Steve Arnold to take all the pressure off.
Every single week except the Gateshead Pink Pratt I would take there keepers over Collin.
Any aspirations of winning the League next year and he would be the first to replace, he’s about a 5/10 overall keeper.

You have been slagging Colin from his first ever games and repeating the Arnold myth. Yes Arnie was good coming for crosses but let plenty of saveable shots slide easily past him.

Colin is under orders to distribute wide and early. Mayer often gets upset when doesn't and has mentioned it publicly. Trying to blame Colin for their goal is utter usual wiggy nonsense. GSM should know who is behind him and others should have told him for that late corner. Even then they produce a corner we can't....One with pace and beyond the far post to an unmarked dangerous player. Colin made the save but someone else Dackers? looked like he should ave cleared it.

As for other keepers.....That save from Crowther's header was the first meaningful save an opposition keeper has made in the last 3 games. Shame Les didn't head it back from where it came and we would have won the game.

Our problems are all in front of their goal not ours. Its not another striker that's needed it someone who can cross ball early or with pace. A short throw that ends with a cross not back to halfway line. Some corners with venom rather than a floated beach ball that under 16 keeper could deal with. Or how about someone who can take free kick. It was GSM's turn this week, as the previous 7 people have failed.

Critisism of Kev or any of the team is ok when its constructive but it should at least be from a point of some knowledge rather than repeated post of ignorance that only emerges from some after a defeat.

I'm still looking forward to my trip to Oxford, so bo*****S to the whingers.

Last edited:
If we hadn't had 10 points deducted we would be a mid table team suffering a bad run of form.

Look at our goal difference. +11

Yet, some wise people on here have been posting for months that we were only 6 points from the relegation zone, then 5 points, 4 points, 3 and so on. They were always right to be looking down rather than up.

You start with a ten point deduction, fight back and then you lose a few games and of course you are suddenly in the ****. This was always likely to happen.

Players and staff don't get paid, then they do, then they get (rightly) rewarded with new contracts... Surprise, surprise there is a collective sigh of relief and a loss in form. That's also why the atmosphere in the stadium goes flat. We start dreaming about playoffs, fanzones and local breweries. And now, two homes defeats on the spin, no goals scored, new players struggling - panic sets in.

But look, these are all just other ways that not paying players, being under an embargo, not having running water or electricity, playing people when injured, have really bad (long term) consequences.

We are in the fight of our lives. Ron's legacy. Keep the ****ing faith
Blimey, an outbreak of sense!
Am I looking at the wrong fans forum??

You have been slagging Colin from his first ever games and repeating the Arnold myth. Yes Arnie was good coming for crosses but let plenty of saveable shots slide easily past him.

Colin is under orders to distribute wide and early. Mayer of gets upset when doesn't and has mentioned it publicly. Trying to blame Colin for their goal is utter usual wiggy nonsense. GSM should know who is behind him and others should have told him for that late corner. Even then they produce a corner we can't....One with pace and beyond the far post to an unmarked dangerous player. Colin made the save but someone else Dackers? looked like he should ave cleared it.

As for other keepers.....That save from Crowther's header was the first meaningful save an opposition keeper has made in the last 3 games. Shame Les didn't head it back from where it came and we would have won the game.

Our problems are all in front of their goal not ours. Its not another striker that's needed it someone who can cross ball early or with pace. A short throw that ends with across not back to hallway line. Some corners with venom rather than a floated beach ball that under 16 keeper could deal with. Or how about someone who can take free kick. It was GSM's turn this week, as the previous 7 people have failed.

Critisism of Kev or any of the team is ok when its constructive but it should at least be from a point of some knowledge rather than repeated post of ignorance that only emerges from some after a defeat.

I'm still looking forward to my trip to Oxford, so bo*****S to the whingers.
You got it wrong with Ron Martin as well….was still supporting him when everyone else could see through him.
We should have been one down when his kick went straight to one of there’s and miraculously he hit the post with an open net. Not good enough all round at the moment….2 great stops the other week don’t paper over the basics that he gets wrong most weeks

Are you not entertained?

Well frankly no! Yes it’s all very pretty, pretty, yes we are a good footballing, probably one of the best in the division, but are we a dangerous footballing side? Far from it. I’ve not felt so annoyed leaving a game yesterday since the no effort days of our relegation seasons. As I said last week, everything is just so predictable, the only time we looked a threat and able to create something were the few times Husin drove at them. And yet, we leave the very player that is adapt at this on the bench the whole game in Fonguck !

Bridge has become so infuriating, receives the ball wide, step over, step over, step over, at this point I went to the loo, came back and the ball still hadn’t been crossed in ! The couple of times he did get something decent in it was in and around the penalty spot, which their keeper claimed under no pressure, at no time did anyone think about attacking this area the 3rd time it happened. Forget moving him out of this position for Ralph, who in my opinion carries this role out much better, we have no spare centre backs.

I feel sorry for Gus, so many times he was completely out on his own, his entire team mates on the left, so when he does get the ball he is completely isolated. I think he is a very good player at this level but he must be getting so fed up with the little game time he is involved in and then the position he finds himself if and when he does get the ball.

I actually didn’t mind the formation and players chosen, but we just didn’t play it right. The other midfield needs to be attacking, the wing backs more adventurous with Crowther and Ralph also driving forward, oh how we miss Hobson to this effect !

Make no mistake if we don’t pull out of this slumber in the next few weeks we are bang in trouble, Kiddie are picking up points, you would bet against Woking doing the same..

He so nearly created a goal........ and then chose not to score it.

Instead he passed towards Cardwell who had two defenders on him.

Crowther is new to this full time game as is waldron and morton .Both crowther and morton have adapted well but niether has the confedence to shoot on sight .I guess that will come in time but time is running out .It seemes to many players want the perfect pass rather than hit it first time .

Back