• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 York City

For once i think we all broadly agree that we need an attack minded midfielder, or the trio need to push one of them forward and keep them there, probably Husin.

Maher himself always worked better alongside a forward thinking midfielder, not sure why he cant see that.

Its dissapointing as hell, and pretty worrying that we are in a non league relegation scrap.

I see all the maher out, and crab brigade are beginning to come out the woodwork. Pretty sad to see after all we've been through, but thats the nature of football i guess... for me maher and co get 10-15 games into next season before they can be properly judged.

The emotional ups and downs of this season are unlike anything everyone has experienced, its hardly surprising the comfort has made them take their collective foot off the gas.

It needs addreasing now though, We have to win the next few games or we are in serious ****.

One of the most joyous aspects of a bad run in the league is that it gives a run-out to the Whimperzone second eleven. Things going well? No sign of them. A run of losses, and there they are, strapping on their hair-shinpads, glorying in a Champions League of misery. Kev is a crab, blah, blah, Cav is Kev reincarnate, yadda, yadda. Every cloud a silver lining...

First chance I've had to visit the Hall in a while and not a performance to write home about. Worrying lack of linkage between midfield and strikers with Husin the main offender, Cards does not look sharp right now and Waldron concerningly weak.

I don't think it's fair to say people are overreacting, right now we are playing like a team in the relegation zone and that's where we will be if this continues.

Your are a very poor side and I didn't think Gateshead were anything other than average.

Everyone should be concerned, we are in big trouble if this doesn't stop very soon.

UTB 💙
Overreacting in terms of the performance, not the position we find ourselves in. There's a big difference. You're right, we all should be concerned about our league position.
I'd argue that Gateshead are far from an average side. They play some delightful football at pace and ran rings round us last week.
York were a different proposition today. Dogged, hardworking, and well drilled defensively.
Everyone put in a shift today. It's a game of fine margins. Cards is still finding his way back to full fitness, Waldron has come from part time football and is perhaps a yard off the pace. I do believe there's a decent partnership there which can be developed.

I’m angry and frustrated, but in reality this is what being a more sustainable club is usually like.

We were all gagging for sustainability a few months ago. Wetting ourselves over buying young talent and developing them. Keeping the loss margins tight. Barnet and Oldham have invested to mount serious charges, getting quality in from above. They will reap the rewards.

Is it better to lose 2 mil per season for 5 years or lose 3 million per season for 2 years to get promoted, only time will tell.

We know EFL financial losses will only be about 1-1.2 mil (if Ron’s previous tales were true). At what stage do we gun it for league status to help haemorrhaging money long-term.

As much as I think we are devoid of any plan B, results like this are what it will probably be like under any manager. A splattering of talent and a few that didn’t quite work out. Mid table mediocrity.

We can’t kid ourselves, people talk about our players being comfortable in League Two. No noteworthy bids came in for our players, which says it all. Kensdale is a sellable asset, but that’s about it at present.

Sustainability rarely works, especially when your club is down in the dumps. As fans we all demand success, as we should do when we part with our hard earned cash.

Last edited:
Kevin Maher says things have to turn soon for Blues after we fell to a third consecutive defeat this afternoon.

Following a 1-0 loss to York City, our Head Coach said: “We’d highlighted their set pieces but we switched off and it’s fallen to someone in the six-yard box who should be marked. That’s the game.

“We’ve played well but it’s the same interview we’ve had a few times. You need a bit of magic or someone to be brave in the final third and put it in the net.

“We’ve hit the woodwork again and Crowther’s had a couple of great chances, but we’ve got three forwards on the pitch at the end trying to score.”

Two of Blues’ biggest chances fell to the centre-back, who perhaps wasn’t expecting to be in that position. Maher said: “He needs to just slide it under the ‘keeper and put it in the net. He’s had a header as well, and once he’s settled in, he’ll score that.

“We want to get people to the final third as quickly as possible. We need someone to grab hold of it and make the shirt their own, but we can’t keep saying it. We say the same thing to the players.”

Blues sit just one point above the relegation zone following today’s results. On the position in the league, Maher added: “We’ve got to get results and we’ll do that by sticking together.
“You’ve got to perform, it’s as simple as that. There’s pressure wherever you are in the league, but we don’t want to be in the position we’re in. A lot of it’s not our doing, but we are where we are.”

Overreacting in terms of the performance, not the position we find ourselves in. There's a big difference. You're right, we all should be concerned about our league position.
I'd argue that Gateshead are far from an average side. They play some delightful football at pace and ran rings round us last week.
York were a different proposition today. Dogged, hardworking, and well drilled defensively.
Everyone put in a shift today. It's a game of fine margins. Cards is still finding his way back to full fitness, Waldron has come from part time football and is perhaps a yard off the pace. I do believe there's a decent partnership there which can be developed.
No over reacting mate we were dog **** today and dog **** last week!!! I fear for us no bollocks in our side!!

Some massive overreactions on here tonight.
Our performance and overall tempo today was much improved compared to last week. I'd even go as far to say that it was on par with a lot of our victories earlier on this season. The big difference being we didn't bag the opening goal.
Do we have some weaknesses? Of course, but they've been evident for much of the season.
York defended very well today and you have to give them credit for that.
Every team has weaknesses but since the takeover and the extra bodies in our form has been woeful and I’m not sure we should be crediting other sides tactics

We are at home with 6000 fans behind us with a decent budget and 3 managerial heads at the helm , this result is not good enough and has put us under pressure and looking over our shoulders big time

Don't forget the 6 points we've dropped at home the last 2 games!!

You sure? Our most successful period came when we were aggressively pressing teams and preying on heavy touches etc.
That has all but disappeared.

Every manager will know exactly what they need to do to nullify and then hit us when we, inevitably, lose concentration in the dying moments of a game.
I agree with this plus, the midfield setup is awful. Mids so deep they’re mixed up with defenders, nothing through the middle leaving loads of gaps, no shape and no one busting a gut to get forward. Even Harry Kane would be unable to score in this side with no chances created for him.

No over reacting mate we were dog **** today and dog **** last week!!! I fear for us no bollocks in our side!!
Last week was awful, I'll give you that.
Not today though.

Just 5 weeks ago we beat Halifax 3-0, following a very average performance in which we arguably deserved no more than a point. However SZ was full of positivity and the majority praised the performance. Results and scorelines definitely play a huge part in how fans view performances.

i think the trick for Kev and co is to calm the jitters.
I wrote earlier that according to Scott Parker, West Ham went down when he was there because they couldn't bin the mindset of a losing streak.
The Amigos have to somehow rebuild confidence and desire.
If we panic we'll play Hampton & Richmond in the league next season.

Days like this (and bearing in mind I'm down tonight like most of us) and you wonder when the super blues will ever fire again, its been so long, I'm gonna blame the lingering stench that is R Rat M

Back