• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 York City

It may have been in a striking role actually when we were down to the bare bones and it didn't work. Maybe behind a front 2 where he can roam might work

That's what I was thinking a more free role behind the front 2 so he is still the focal point but he can take it in all 3 forward positions

There is little wrong with our style, and it definitely isn't negative. Maher always wants us playing on the front foot, but our tempo was pedestrian today.

I'd argue playing two holding midfielders in front of three centre backs is hardly positive.

Add a third midfielder who is also more comfortable playing deeper than in the final third and it's hardly a surprise we are struggling to create chances centrally.

We're over-reliant on our wing backs for attacking threat and chance creation and when both are out of form it's far to easy to prevent us from scoring.

For me, the current system is stale and we're in need of a shake up. I would welcome a switch to four at the back, but that's made difficult by the fact that we have not a single natural winger in the entire squad.

Maher now coming into his own when a change of tactics are required…..clueless how to change it and tonight he is quoting the 10 points deduction in a pathetic sub standard division,

Collin 3 needs replacing as his kicking invites free goals every week
Crowther 8 looks a great acquisition, shame the old regulars don’t step up
Ralph 8 player of the season by far
Kensdale 7 good enough most weeks
Scott Morris 6 decent enough but crossing ain’t great
Miley 5 most overrated midfielder in the history of the blues, he does a role but creates sod all
Husin 5 carbon copy of above
Morton 9 looks a fantastic classy signing, so much better than the other two crabs
Bridge 4 oh please, great skill wasted by doing it 4 times over and forms part of Kevs plan every week and the managers know exactly how to play us because of it
Cardwell 6 plenty of effort with no help from his mates
Waldron 5 as with Cards, no supply line and looked weak and slow
Dackers 6 actually looked more dangerous than the two starting strikers

Maher 1. had plenty of plaudits when under the cosh…..now proving lack of ideas how to change the boring rubbish

Ref 7 one of the better ones

Last edited:
I got shot down big time last week and accused of having a short memory but I left RH feeling very down and let down again today. 54 years supporting SUFC and the last 2 games have been nothing short of depressing, it's been a long time since I felt this bad leaving the ground.

How the hell are we in a relegation dog fight because we definitely are. If it's our tactics, the new signings settling in or just feeling like the jobs done and we are on the way back to league football, we are on our way to part time football if we don't change this.

Today we were better but should never be losing at home to York. something has clearly gone very wrong and it's not my memory. It has to stop before it's too late.

UTB 💙

For me, the biggest disappointment the last three games has been Bridge. When he plays well, we play well. He would make things happen by being so positive and direct, attacking the right back. Now the ball goes to him and the attack grinds to a halt. He checks back too much and does a short pass. It's like he's lost his confidence to get past the full back. So we're not the threat we was down the left hand side.

Some massive overreactions on here tonight.
Our performance and overall tempo today was much improved compared to last week. I'd even go as far to say that it was on par with a lot of our victories earlier on this season. The big difference being we didn't bag the opening goal.
Do we have some weaknesses? Of course, but they've been evident for much of the season.
York defended very well today and you have to give them credit for that.

Spot on with the analysis of our crossing and general final ball at the moment. It's **** poor.

Central midfield was indeed a bit flat, but we need someone in there who can link midfield to forwards better, and who can drive forward out of there. Toby Edser at Ebbsfleet would be ideal. Until then, our best bet is Fonguck and he should probably have replaced Husin at some point today.

Will disagree to an extent with the bit in bold. The thing to be gained from it is keeping hold of the ball and retaining control of the match. I'll take that over lumping it forward and having the opposition attack straight back. Passing around and through the lines like we do is supposed to pull the opposition about and open them up somewhat, but it needs to be done with way more tempo and urgency than we're doing it at the moment, and with players ahead of the ball who are willing to move about into space.

I think we are in agreement in general.

I am certainly not advocating long ball, but you could argue we controlled the game today by pass, pass, pass, but the bottom line is we lost! We didn't shoot and we didn't work their keeper nearly enough. So it's certainly not a tactic that yields results without a cutting edge and that's what we haven't got at the moment.

The problem for me is we haven't got an attacking midfielder who stays in the middle of the park in the hole behind the strikers. As happened today, Husin gets drawn out to the left and totally unbalances the team and opponents are now setting up to be attacked down their right.

Bridge can't get a first time ball in, so either retreats , slows play down, before eventually getting a cross in taking so long it makes anticipating for a forward so difficult to do. Making play too predictable. That is what we have to change.

How I would do it with the personnel we have at the club?

Play the team we did today, but tell Husin in no uncertain terms to stay in a channel up the middle of the park and lurk right on the edge of the box for set pieces. I'd even fine him if he come in the changing room with chalk on his boots. Ralph and Bridge should have enough nouse between them to control the left hand channel. Husin in the meantime can be the outlet for the deeper midfield and look to play the through balls in the for the forwards and give them something to feed off for a change. Instruct corner takers to take in swinging corners coming in over the penalty spot, not the edge of the six yard box and feeding the keeper. Same with the long throws, get them into the box aiming for the penalty spot with Husin lurking on the edge of the box to shoot if the ball breaks free.

That's what I think you and I are seeing as a possible answer. Something to link the deeper midfield with the strikers.

Last edited:
Our performance and overall tempo today was much improved compared to last week. I'd even go as far to say that it was on par with a lot of our victories earlier on this season. The big difference being we didn't bag the opening goal.
Do we have some weaknesses? Of course, but they've been evident for much of the season.
You sure? Our most successful period came when we were aggressively pressing teams and preying on heavy touches etc.
That has all but disappeared.

Every manager will know exactly what they need to do to nullify and then hit us when we, inevitably, lose concentration in the dying moments of a game.

For me, the biggest disappointment the last three games has been Bridge. When he plays well, we play well. He would make things happen by being so positive and direct, attacking the right back. Now the ball goes to him and the attack grinds to a halt. He checks back too much and does a short pass. It's like he's lost his confidence to get past the full back. So we're not the threat we was down the left hand side.
This where we do need another signing. Another attacking player. Another outlet for our midfielders who know how to control the game but need someone else to give it to to make something happen. We need a spark

That was the starting lineup I was hoping for.
The new guys settled in well.
However. Not one of our midfield is an attacking option. Miley, Husin, Morton.
Ralph is the only non striker who has the ability to be the only one we can rely on for goalmouth action.
We will not get relegated. But what a depressing situation at the moment.

I don't think it's fair to say people are overreacting, right now we are playing like a team in the relegation zone and that's where we will be if this continues.

Your are a very poor side and I didn't think Gateshead were anything other than average.

Everyone should be concerned, we are in big trouble if this doesn't stop very soon.

UTB 💙

Well we. Ce
They did defend well, but also found time to get a goal!

We do need to perhaps get over the euphoria of the takeover and knuckle down to this relegation struggle, which sadly it now is.

Anyone else think we’ve just been sussed out by the majority of teams?
We desperately need an attacking midfielder. I felt sorry for Waldron and Cardwell today as they got nothing from our midfielders.

I’d have replaced Noor with Sandat and had him doing the job Noor was meant to do. We need to mix it up, we need to be able to thread through the middle as keep knocking it wide isn’t working. Today, almost every ball we put in to the box was met with a York City header. Set pieces as per usual were ****. What is it with not leathering it when you’ve got a sight of goal.

A collective kick up the arse needed.

6700 at home to watch a team try hard not to lose and keep a clean sheet but not try to win.

Our midfield is insipid to say the least.

We are woeful in terms of an attacking threat. Nobody wants to carry the ball or drive at defences. Nobody wants to get a shot away.

This current set up looks unlikely to yield any goals.

Any team that does well in any division, particularly this one, scores goals and isn't afraid to concede.

The high press and siege mentality has gone .

I love Kevin Maher and the rest of the management team but they aren't immune from criticism.

This is not good enough. End of story. York are a poor side and we did nothing today to earn a point.

If the team want to be out of trouble this season and challenging the next , then they seriously need to have a look at themselves. That wasn't a performance that warranted best part of 7k fans and performances like that will do little to improve gates.

Kev and all can spout 10 points deductions but that won't mean anything if we go down. Fylde are a bus stop near blackpool and are above us in the table.

Take the brakes off and encourage all the team to get forward and draw a foul or get a shot away. This sideways and backwards nonsense will see us go down and crowds drop.

Back