• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 York City

I almost miss the embargo at the moment. At least we had a set of bollocks then. This is embarrassing.

I understand the siege mentality disappearing to an extent, but my word we are toothless. Just utterly lacking in cutting edge, creativity and quality in the final third. The final cross, pass and shot were all absolute dog**** and our tempo is pedestrian.

If we want to find a way out of this division next season, we need some cutting edge and to find a way through teams that come to Roots Hall to sit deep and bag a draw.

Focus on this season for now though, as I guess we're in a relegation battle now and if we want to pull clear of that, then we need to find a collective set of ****ing cajones too.

It's at times like this, when things aren't "running themselves" quite so well, when it seems clear that we lack a bit of leadership on the pitch too.

Lots of goodwill in the bank for these guys, but they need to wake the **** up at the moment.

Collin 6
Crowther 7
Kensdale 7
Ralph 6
Gus 6
Bridge 5
Miley 6
Morton 7 (MOM)
Husin 5
Cardwell 5
Waldron 6

Subs:
Sandat 6
Dackers 5

Last edited:
In previous seasons kev has had bad runs around this time in the season. Not sure what the problem is, tactics aren't working. For me recruitment is a problem, signing players from lower leagues gives you a lower league team. We are where we are supposed to be with these platers.

Desperately need an attack minded player in midfield that can actually create chances. Colin is nowhere near good enough either. If we’re lucky enough to stay in this division, we need a new number one.

I am so happy I’ve finally taken a break from watching this tippy happy sideways backwards … aaah that’s nice to watch toothless bollox . Stop this ****ing fairytale sign some REAL recognised players get a proper spine of experience and track record in… this season we are planing for next season, last season we were planning for this season … well I’m bored of being a community asset on non league

Positives -
-A much better display compared to last week with a much improved tempo to our game.
- Waldron looks like he could work well with Cards given a run games. Liked the way he anticipated some of Harry's flick one as well as his ability to pull defenders out of position with his movement.
- Cav Miley back to his best.
- We attacked down both sides of the pitch today which was good to see.

Negatives -
- Still not enough first time crosses into the box
- Still nobody wants to shoot
- Set pieces still well below the level required
- Crowther losing his man from the corner leading to York's late undeserved winner.
- still missing that bit of magic between midfield and attack

Summary -
Despite all our possession, York defended well and I never really felt confident we'd get the go ahead goal. We remain in trouble and need to quickly find a couple of wins from somewhere to get us going again. We can't keep saying we were unlucky. Ultimately we don't test the opposition keeper enough and that's our biggest issue.

Well that was pooh. I expected so much more from that line up. I have said it before, now we will see how good this management team are. The last 3 games have been poor and we are really in a relegation battle now. Carry on like this and we will be in National league South next season. How can we go from being so hard to beat and never say die to having performances like this. Just another episode in the Southend United saga. Sorting the Club out is not as simple as new owners, it will take a 2 or 3 seasons. Don't raise your expectations to high for next season.

Can and Morton cannot play in the same team! They must have spent 80% of the game 10 yards apart and 10 yards infron of the back three! That meant we lost Wes closing down, working the touchline with Jack and we just lost all creativity and pressure. We were **** and looking like a team about to be relegated. So p*ssed off!

Reactions: fbm
Can and Morton cannot play in the same team! They must have spent 80% of the game 10 yards apart and 10 yards infron of the back three! That meant we lost Wes closing down, working the touchline with Jack and we just lost all creativity and pressure. We were **** and looking like a team about to be relegated. So p*ssed off!

You say that like it has worked since November 2023 :ROFL:

I'll be really worried if Kev says he was pleased with that performance.

We got no ball into the box that challenged their defence, let alone the keeper.

We didn't stretch their defence at all and at no time did we get behind their defence.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by playing the ball up to the half way line and then backwards and repeat, which is what we did too much of the times. That shows me a lack of movement in front of the midfield by the forwards and if that's the case, that has to be worked on quickly.

Our midfield is too flat and rather than Husin playing in the hole behind the forwards, he was playing most of the time on the crowded left hand side along with Bridge and Ralph, meaning we were totally unbalanced, so on the occasions that the ball did come out to Gus, he had to go backwards, as he had no support or movement in front of him.

Because we are not getting behind the defence our crosses come in at an angle towards the keeper, not across the keeper and any defence is playing towards us and facing away from their goal, lovely for a defence and we are making it too easy.

Add to that if a ball comes out of the box from a cross won yet again by any defence, none of the midfield are forward enough to take a shot on, so yet again, by being too deep if the ball is picked up it goes sideways or backwards again.

We are in trouble and no amount of pretty passing can cover that up. We still have a lack of driving forward from midfield, lack of creativity and at the moment if we ship the first goal we have absolutely no way back into a game.

I haven't got a clue about how good Waldron could be, because we don't play to his strengths or any other striker playing like we did today.

I hope they play Ardley's after match interview, because he recognised all the above set up for it and funnily enough beat us.

This needs sorting out damn quickly.

Awful today, didn't deserve anything from that and could always see a late goal coming, they completely did their work against us, we seem to go through these patches under kev, where we lose 4 or 5 in a row

We need to find another avenue to goal than Bridge on the left. It goes out there and either gets held up halting the attack or smashed into the first man putting them on a counter. The only way to do that with these players that seem hellbent on finding him would be to move Bridge or move him to the bench for a few games.

Moving to a back 4 with Miley as a CDM and shifting Bridge in behind the front 2 might do that

1707585855364.png

Back