• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Phoenix

Politely, could I ask those who don't want a phoenix club (if that was the only option of course), why they are so against it. I am not looking for abuse, I am just asking. If it is the only option left, I will follow them as I have done the main club for so many years.

When you look at other phoenix clubs, I think of them as the original club. The main example that is in my head is Hereford. A former football league club who to me, simply seem as though Hereford never went away. Chester are another phoenix club. Again, I simply think of them as Chester.

Of course, it is not ideal, but you would hope a phoenix club COULD rise through the leagues. Easier said than done of course. The added bit in this, is the possibility of staying at Roots Hall as the Trust are trying to look at. A team named Southend playing at Roots Hall.

Again, no abuse please. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just wondering what it is that many fans seem to hate about the idea.

I am with you on this one, cannot get behind a Phoenix club, if our club dies this week so will my love of football.

Maybe that's because it seems like the club dying rather than being reborn.

Rangers, AFC Wimbledon, Bury, Macclesfield, Accrington, Maidstone etc are all good examples.

How would you feel if we still played at Roots Hall. Still called ourselves Southend united FC (1906), kept the same badge and history etc.

Not much would change other than a massive drop in leagues initially.

Politely, could I ask those who don't want a phoenix club (if that was the only option of course), why they are so against it. I am not looking for abuse, I am just asking. If it is the only option left, I will follow them as I have done the main club for so many years.

When you look at other phoenix clubs, I think of them as the original club. The main example that is in my head is Hereford. A former football league club who to me, simply seem as though Hereford never went away. Chester are another phoenix club. Again, I simply think of them as Chester.

Of course, it is not ideal, but you would hope a phoenix club COULD rise through the leagues. Easier said than done of course. The added bit in this, is the possibility of staying at Roots Hall as the Trust are trying to look at. A team named Southend playing at Roots Hall.

Again, no abuse please. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just wondering what it is that many fans seem to hate about the idea.
Their is a separate thread open about supporting a Phoenix club, maybe worth posting this there and leaving this for takeover only.

I think AFC Wimbledon are a good example of what can be done in this regard. I always think of them as the original Wimbledon.

Exactly. Absolutely no call for abuse.

Nobody wants SUFC to be liquidated, apart from the rats (possibly), but if it is then there are two options: get behind the phoenix club or don’t.

Why on earth anyone thinks either of those options warrants abuse is beyond me.

I think I would support a Phoenix club personally, but I can understand those that don't want to.
In life, you can change where you live, your car, religion, career even partner, but the one thing you can never change is your football club.
While Southend United exist, it feels wrong to even think about supporting 'another' club, so perhaps its that. Something that possibly suggests 'another' club or one that can be questionably be argued its not the 'real' Southend United, perhaps doesn't sit right?
If it worst happens, and we have to go the pheonix route, perhaps when all the same faces in the stands, and hopefully playing at Roots Hall still, some (not all) will come round to the idea.

I can see why people are against a phoenix club.

They feel the SUFC would be lost.

The reality could be very different.

Similar name Southend united FC (1906)
Get to keep history ala bury, Wimbledon
Same badge and kits etc.

For me the biggest part would be acquiring roots hall. That is paramount.

Obviously we would drop leagues but we would be free of the Rat forever.

Reactions: TJC
Apologies, agreed, I did think after posting. It was only because others on here were mentioning the Phoenix club and I jumped the gun posting.
No problem, it`s just at a time when we are hanging on every post about takeover news ATM. Also this thread has 220 pages and Southend Phoenix is about 6, maybe this will grow depending on news received. Good Luck 👍

Rangers, AFC Wimbledon, Bury, Macclesfield, Accrington, Maidstone etc are all good examples.

How would you feel if we still played at Roots Hall. Still called ourselves Southend united FC (1906), kept the same badge and history etc.

Honestly, I don’t know.

I really hope we don’t have to go down this route.

In that situation, the only thing that would change is the company name registered with Companies House, but that's not what makes Southend United. The name, badge, heritage and history, and people are what a football club, not a company name that nobody sees, no matter how much Celtic supporters roast Rangers for being a newco and "not really Rangers".

Phoenix is down the priority list anyway, everything must and will be done to save the club in it's present form, but a large part of that is out of our hands and if it fails, then work needs to have already taken place to research and lay the foundations for phoenix. No amount of whining, or valid points and reasons why someone would never support a phoenix, will change that hard fact.

Let's hope the groundwork never, ever needs to be used.

It’s hard to relate to a thing that doesn’t exist and hopefully will never exist. If it ever happened it would need to have the same identity as far as possible with strong links to its heritage in my opinion. Some people might not feel it; some will but it’s purely hypothetical at this point how we will all feel.

For those who are unhappy about prospect of being Trust led, the Trust is simply a board elected by their members and is ever changing. Anyone can be a member and any member can stand for election and be part of it. To have the best chance of a rise through the leagues you need investors etc too and hopefully people again with strong links to SUFC.

As I say, no one (certainly in the Trust at least) wants this to be the outcome or even close.

Last edited:
We wouldn't be free from Ron. He'd never just give us Roots Hall, and even if he did, I doubt we'd be able to afford to maintain it.
Oh agreed, we'd definitely not get Roots Hall. As I & others have opined Ron/Jack would then just see they have 500 units at RH to add to the 1300 then at FF, without the stadium.

They'd have to change to a longer game, as PP would then go years back, & probably just cash in the chips they haven't mortgaged away to another developer who would start the process again. SUFC wouldn't exist so there would be no restrictive clause in existence. They'd still make money but just not as much as they originally planned for.

Regrettably that's the way the property developer mind works,

How do you think the club was set up in the first place?
As i understand it was set up because Southend Athletic buried their head in the sand at their AGM and did not discuss dwindling gate receipts, issues with where they used to play (Marine Park) and a poor showing defending their South Essex League title.

In fact the only thing that was discussed and decided upon was the changing of the colour of the club from an all red kit to blue shirts and white shorts.

The birth of the club was born by becoming a fully professional club (something that Ron has managed to turn into "amateur-hour" run club during his tenure)

Reactions: jnl
Back