• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Phoenix

The only phoenix club i will support isSouthend united rising like a phoenix from the ashes .

I can’t get my head around how a Phoenix club can retain the heritage of the former club. It wasn’t AFC Wimbledon that won the FA cup in the late 80’s. In the same way I can’t see how an AFC Southend or similar would retain our history, past success and many memories. A Phoenix club is surely a completely different entity?
I am happy to be educated on this but it’s something I am struggling with. Right now I am very much in the no Southend Utd then no football for me.
I don’t want this to be the case but a 3 hour round trip to every home game would mean I would need to be emotionally invested right from the off in a Phoenix club. I guess this is where complete fan engagement and involvement right from the off needs to be a non negotiable.
It's just a legal company, are you bothered if you drink coke made by coca cola (Europe) PLC?

Southend United is an concept held dear by all fans. That love doesn't die because a company goes bust.

Don't say that to the AFC fans!!--They even have a museum---It beggers belief!

I can’t get my head around how a Phoenix club can retain the heritage of the former club. It wasn’t AFC Wimbledon that won the FA cup in the late 80’s. In the same way I can’t see how an AFC Southend or similar would retain our history, past success and many memories. A Phoenix club is surely a completely different entity?
I am happy to be educated on this but it’s something I am struggling with. Right now I am very much in the no Southend Utd then no football for me.
I don’t want this to be the case but a 3 hour round trip to every home game would mean I would need to be emotionally invested right from the off in a Phoenix club. I guess this is where complete fan engagement and involvement right from the off needs to be a non negotiable.
I don’t think there’s any right or wrong ways to view the idea of a Phoenix club. It’s a personal thing for each fan. I get it that some feel if it’s not the current club then they’d feel no connection to it. However for me the club is the fans. Every single player, manager, coach, owner etc etc will come and go. Fans are the constant. As long as it’s started by SUFC fans then it works for me, and the existing company is officially dead of course.

On holiday in the Lake District today I walked into a little church and immediately spotted this stained glass window.....

An omen?20240612_123318.jpg

It's just a legal company, are you bothered if you drink coke made by coca cola (Europe) PLC?

Southend United is an concept held dear by all fans. That love doesn't die because a company goes bust.
I was thinking something similar earlier in the thread when someone was talking about AFC Wimbledon winning the rights to their honours. I can't be bothered to track it down but from memory they said AFC didn't deserve the honours because it wasn't that team who won them. I'd argue that MK Dons didn't win them either but that's by the by.

The point I think I'm trying to get to is a clubs history isn't really a list of achievement on a piece of paper or a website as much as it is peoples memories. If you ask me what year we were promoted from League Two I couldn't tell you. I remember the goal, the penalty saves, the joy and so on.

Wimbledon were dealt a **** hand but the phoenix club is part of their story arc and is as much a part of the clubs history as beating Liverpool at Wembley.

I was thinking something similar earlier in the thread when someone was talking about AFC Wimbledon winning the rights to their honours. I can't be bothered to track it down but from memory they said AFC didn't deserve the honours because it wasn't that team who won them. I'd argue that MK Dons didn't win them either but that's by the by.

The point I think I'm trying to get to is a clubs history isn't really a list of achievement on a piece of paper or a website as much as it is peoples memories. If you ask me what year we were promoted from League Two I couldn't tell you. I remember the goal, the penalty saves, the joy and so on.

Wimbledon were dealt a **** hand but the phoenix club is part of their story arc and is as much a part of the clubs history as beating Liverpool at Wembley.
So we have a mystery---- goalkeeper Dave Beasant played at Wembley stadium WITHOUT knowing that he was playing for AFC Wimbledon who did NOT even exsist at the time!!

So we have a mystery---- goalkeeper Dave Beasant played at Wembley stadium WITHOUT knowing that he was playing for AFC Wimbledon who did NOT even exsist at the time!!

The mystery deepens..... he played at Wembley without knowing that he was playing for Milton Keynes Dons.....

On holiday in the Lake District today I walked into a little church and immediately spotted this stained glass window.....

An omen?View attachment 32250

You should be asking yourself who added all the stained glass in churches? After all most were built before that sort of glass was invented.

Then before long you will be looking up Star forts and ancient energy

You should be asking yourself who added all the stained glass in churches? After all most were built before that sort of glass was invented.

Steady now.... I only popped in out of the rain.....

Around 600 AD the French was designing glass for churches
Anyway the real question do you still support Ron and the way he has handled the club, never seen any arguments to say he is not the man to take club forward from you ?

Just spotted this - and thinking completely out of the box here. perhaps a new site could be a viable opportunity for a plan B option 🤔

This seafront site has gone totally pair shaped, developer in administration, and probably another situation where the club could reestablished in a different location, potentially!

Just spotted this - and thinking completely out of the box here. perhaps a new site could be a viable opportunity for a plan B option 🤔

This seafront site has gone totally pair shaped, developer in administration, and probably another situation where the club could reestablished in a different location, potentially!
No way you'd get that built due to it being near residential area and being prime housing land

Or it might influence the council decision-making as there will be less flats built.

Back