• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seafront/High Street tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly disgraceful scenes this week and it seems the police were temporarily blindsided. But they cannot deploy resources all the time to prevent this. They rely on intelligence which in this case seems to have fallen through the cracks. Believe me this will/ has been be reviewed. The fact that so many have been arrested and charged shows the police are able to deal with a pretty dodgy situation.
Is the seafront safe. No safer less safe than the last God knows how many years. We regularly take the granddaughter to the sea life centre and occasionally adventure island. No problems. Would I ever venture along the seafront or the pubs after dark. Never have done apart from seeing a band in I think the criterion late 60s. Is there ever trouble in Chinnerys?
I'd say it's as safe as any seafront.
There is never any trouble in Chinnerys, since it became a live music venue. It attracts crowds that are into a particular band or style of music. They're not there for trouble, simply for the music. Before that when it was Quills nightclub in the late 70s early 80s, that was a different story. It was where the beano, stag and hen coach party's used to come from London and surrounding areas for basically a good p up and pub crawl. Usually ending at Quills because the pubs had shut. It was mostly on a Saturday in the summer, where you would see over 50 coaches parked in the Seaway car park. I used to go there and have never witnessed so many mass brawls anywhere else, as coach party's of men used to clash. It was once named in the echo as the most violent disco in Essex based on police call outs and arrests. Thankfully those types of coach party day trips on a weekend, have stopped nowadays. As a whole, the seafront has never been so safe, even at night.

On BBC Essex news I just heard that several youths are to appear at magistrates today. Charges up to attempted murder and police say gun was recovered. As some of us said they are down playing the full events on Tuesday.

You can't fool all the public, so sadly numbers along the Sea front and on the beaches were much lower than normall in the last two days
Chalkwell beach was dead yesterday, where was everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_6765.jpeg
    IMG_6765.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 19
I know you'll know but the Ivy House now known as Chinnery's was Oliver Trigg's pub when he moved from the Blue Boar after founding SUFC. He built a boxing hall. Now I have to confess I've never been to Chinnery's but could the hall where the bands play be the boxing hall.

Went to town today and was quieter than usual, bit eerie, so whatever Essex police did might’ve worked. Could always kick off later though. Let’s hope not.

You'll find things have changes since you quit Britain. Turns out London youths armed with guns and swords are not that interested in SUFC replica shirts.

This thread is not about Sunderland or anywhere else other than our own wonderful city.
Not really ,Crrently reading an excellent biography of Paul Foot,,Very apt .IMO

My point was that some of the Sunderñand "protesters " were ckearky wearing club shirts on the Beeb's late news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back