• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seafront/High Street tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the police have reported that they have cottoned onto another planned similar event this week in Southend. This will be interesting. Have they learnt lessons about being proactive rather than reactive. Will they meet and search them at the train stations?

Chief Supt Leighton Hammett said this. “If you are in Southend today, and throughout the rest of the week, you’ll see an even larger visible presence.

“We are working with our partners to ensure if you come to Southend to enjoy our fantastic seafront you feel safe.
“If you see our officers and have any worries or concerns, please come and speak to them. “We are aware of another possible event planned.

“We will be ready for that and will use the tools available to us to prevent any disorder.

“My message is clear - if you’re coming here to create disorder or commit crime, don’t bother.

“If you’re planning to bring weapons, drugs, or carry out violence you’ll be met by officers and dealt with.”
Unfortunately the Police are around 48hrs too late in announcing this

Police helicopter has been up all afternoon, not over our back garden, but it certainly feels like it as the patrols are over this area through to the sea front.

100% and this is the farcical thing

The same groups of people misbehave week in week out so no wonder the police feel compelled to act.

All they need to do is look at the fixture list to know when trouble is likely. Pop up summer parties are a bit different.

On BBC Essex news I just heard that several youths are to appear at magistrates today. Charges up to attempted murder and police say gun was recovered. As some of us said they are down playing the full events on Tuesday.

You can't fool all the public, so sadly numbers along the Sea front and on the beaches were much lower than normall in the last two days

At last, the police are on the ball.

MOBS of teenagers travelling towards Southend on trains were searched and sent back to London as police ramped up efforts to prevent another night of violence.

Large groups of youths were spotted filling trains from London towards Southend on Thursday night and disembarking in Prittlewell in a bid to avoid police waiting in the city centre.

However in a bid to avoid the ugly scenes seen on Tuesday, Essex Police filled Leigh, Chalkwell, Prittlewell and Shoebury train station with officers to send troublemakers packing.

A second “beach party” had been planned for Thursday, just 48 hours after an event spiralled into bedlam when violent scuffles and machete fights broke out across the seafront and High Street.

Residents described seeing “mobs” of teenagers on trains, but praised police for stopping, searching and then sending them back to London.

Supt Leigh Norris said: “We did do that as we had information suggesting there would be another gathering with large groups coming down.

“So, we had additional staff deployed, and also focused looking at the train stations too, not just the High Street and seafront. We looked how people travelled down on Tuesday, and we did not want a repeat of that.

On Tuesday night, eight individuals were arrested in connection with the disorder in Southend, on suspicion of offences that included the possession of offensive weapons.

They have since been further arrested on suspicion of violent disorder.

Describing Thursday night, the police reported it as a “peaceful night” with only one arrest made, which was not related to any wider issues.

Despite the fact that no further disorder has occurred since Tuesday, many businesses feared that the city’s reputation had already been tarnished.

Some families have stated they will be avoiding the seafront and High Street as they “don’t feel safe”.

Supt Leigh Norris added: “It is a safe city.

“Things will always happen in a heavily populated city, there will be crime and disorder, but reducing that is key.

“These sorts of things are few and far between. People should always report anything they don’t think is right, and we will respond.

“We have really good people, doing really good jobs, with all these preventative operations going on.”

I'm talking about the other knife fight video nearer to The Hope. Some police watched. Then the VG police arrived in numbers and waded in and arrested people. It seems to have been taken down. Probably to be used as evidence.
Hopefully any rioters were wearing their new C2C SUFC shirts (as were some Sunderland fans I saw on the news last night). :Winking:

Hopefully any rioters were wearing their new C2C SUFC shirts (as were some Sunderland fans I saw on the news last night). :Winking:
Odd?
I would hope none of the rioters and law breakers would ever wear a SUFC shirt, new or old.
That image and reputation is not to be desired/associated with our club, and I am astonished and disappointed Tangers.

~notfunnynorclever

You'll find things have changes since you quit Britain. Turns out London youths armed with guns and swords are not that interested in SUFC replica shirts.

This thread is not about Sunderland or anywhere else other than our own wonderful city.

Clearly disgraceful scenes this week and it seems the police were temporarily blindsided. But they cannot deploy resources all the time to prevent this. They rely on intelligence which in this case seems to have fallen through the cracks. Believe me this will/ has been be reviewed. The fact that so many have been arrested and charged shows the police are able to deal with a pretty dodgy situation.
Is the seafront safe. No safer less safe than the last God knows how many years. We regularly take the granddaughter to the sea life centre and occasionally adventure island. No problems. Would I ever venture along the seafront or the pubs after dark. Never have done apart from seeing a band in I think the criterion late 60s. Is there ever trouble in Chinnerys?
I'd say it's as safe as any seafront.

You'll find things have changes since you quit Britain. Turns out London youths armed with guns and swords are not that interested in SUFC replica shirts.

This thread is not about Sunderland or anywhere else other than our own wonderful One of the accused
All those charged will appear at Chelmsford magistrates court today.

16-year-old boy from Basildon, has been charged with wounding with intent, possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and violent disorder.
  • A 16 year-old boy from Canning Town has been charged with attempted murder, possession of a firearm with intent to cause serious injury, possession of a prohibited weapon in a public place, and violent disorder;
  • A 14 year-old boy from Pitsea has been charged with violent disorder, wounding with intent, and possession of an offensive weapon;
  • A 16 year-old boy from Shadwell has been charged with violent disorder, wounding with intent, and possession of an offensive weapon;
  • Mekai Brown, 18, of Higham Road, Woodford Road, has been charged with violent disorder and wounding with intent;
  • Tyler Omo-Irogho, 18, of Clarendon Road, Watford, has been charged with two counts of violent disorder, wounding with intent, possession of an offensive weapon, and assaulting an emergency worker;
  • Michael King, 18, of Crescent Road, South Woodford, is charged with violent disorder and wounding with intent;
  • A 17 year-old boy from Stratford has been charged with violent disorder, wounding with intent, and possession of an offensive weapon.

All those charged will appear at Chelmsford magistrates court today.

16-year-old boy from Basildon, has been charged with wounding with intent, possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and violent disorder.
  • A 16 year-old boy from Canning Town has been charged with attempted murder, possession of a firearm with intent to cause serious injury, possession of a prohibited weapon in a public place, and violent disorder;
  • A 14 year-old boy from Pitsea has been charged with violent disorder, wounding with intent, and possession of an offensive weapon;
  • A 16 year-old boy from Shadwell has been charged with violent disorder, wounding with intent, and possession of an offensive weapon;
  • Mekai Brown, 18, of Higham Road, Woodford Road, has been charged with violent disorder and wounding with intent;
  • Tyler Omo-Irogho, 18, of Clarendon Road, Watford, has been charged with two counts of violent disorder, wounding with intent, possession of an offensive weapon, and assaulting an emergency worker;
  • Michael King, 18, of Crescent Road, South Woodford, is charged with violent disorder and wounding with intent;
  • A 17 year-old boy from Stratford has been charged with violent disorder, wounding with intent, and possession of an offensive weapon.
Quite spread out geographically for gang trouble? What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back