• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seafront/High Street tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they're not OK then. They're part of the problem and equally responsible. Filming a crime and posting/promoting it on social media should come with a sentence also.

I fundamentally disagree. I would much rather know on all angles what is going on, rather than bad faith 3rd parties filtering flow of information. Censorship benefits know one.

George Floyd scenario is a salient example, police brutality against blacks has occurred for years but where not many had seen it play out in a raw fashion there was never a discernible reaction. The second that video was posted online the world changed overnight.

I fundamentally disagree. I would much rather know on all angles what is going on, rather than bad faith 3rd parties filtering flow of information. Censorship benefits know one.

George Floyd scenario is a salient example, police brutality against blacks has occurred for years but where not many had seen it play out in a raw fashion there was never a discernible reaction. The second that video was posted online the world changed overnight.
Should reporting not be the job of professional journalists? Echo, bbc news, etc?

These youths going along to video and covering their faces are not there to report. They just contribute to the problem.... hence where we are now.

Should reporting not be the job of professional journalists? Echo, bbc news, etc?

These youths going along to video and covering their faces are not there to report. They just contribute to the problem.... hence where we are now.
I certainly wouldn't trust the media to show the truth - unfortunately all media seems to now report with an angle rather than facts.

I get the bystanders, who often seem to outnumber the protesters, aren't helping but as long as they stay out of trouble and obey any police instruction, then fair do's. Additionally there videos can often be used as evidence.

We have precedent in this country that legacy media display bias (on both sides). Just look at Birmingham in recent events for example. The mainstream reporting of that was highly dubious to say the least.

Pretty much a plethora of the videos you're seeing on social media of the loser, bozo thugs looting have been filmed by the everyday public there present with camera phones. Can you imagine when phones did not exist, and The D*ily Fail, The S*n got hold of it first? The narrative control was firmly in their grip and they could run with whatever they wanted.

Remember Hillsborough?
Remember grooming gangs?

We have precedent in this country that legacy media display bias (on both sides). Just look at Birmingham in recent events for example. The mainstream reporting of that was highly dubious to say the least.

Pretty much a plethora of the videos you're seeing on social media of the loser, bozo thugs looting have been filmed by the everyday public there present with camera phones. Can you imagine when phones did not exist, and The D*ily Fail, The S*n got hold of it first? The narrative control was firmly in their grip and they could run with whatever they wanted.

Remember Hillsborough?
Remember grooming gangs?
I agree to a point, and I do get bbc, sky ect also have their agendas.

But I'm not sure what's going on currently is being filmed by every day public. Those filming are also looting and posting as some sort of badge of honour, stupidly providing evidence to get themselves arrested. Wish concerned every day public people paying their every day taxes and earning a decent living had the answers.

What a mess this country is.

Reactions: jnl
I wouldn't say the official organisation closing down means the EDL doesn't exist anymore.

I know this is invoking Godwin's law (all online discussions eventually mention Hitler) but I can't think of a better example of what I mean than this: the Nazi party doesn't officially exist anymore but that doesn't mean there aren't still Nazis in the world. For me, whilst there are people chanting the EDL's name, the EDL still exists they're just more out of the public eye these days.

Either way whatever these idiots are calling themselves they'll be looking for trouble. Hopefully it'll be a damp squib (there's videos of a failed riot in Preston where only about 10 people showered up) but if they do show up in numbers hopefully the police have learnt some lessons from the London mob last week and know how to contain it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the official organisation closing down means the EDL doesn't exist anymore.

I know this is invoking Godwin's law (all online discussions eventually mention Hitler) but I can't think of a better example of what I mean than this: the Nazi party doesn't officially exist anymore but that doesn't mean there aren't still Nazis in the world. For me, whilst there are people chanting the EDL's name, the EDL still exists they're just more out of the public eye these days.

Either way whatever these idiots are calling themselves they'll be looking for trouble. Hopefully it'll be a damp squib (there's videos of a failed riot in Preston where only about 10 people showered up) but if they do show up in numbers hopefully the police have learnt some lessons from the London mob last week and know how to contain it.

Don't you think there is a slight dichotomy between labelling someone a 'Nazi' and the other 'EDL'? The former connotes an individual who is subscribed to 'Nazism'. Whereas the latter stands for 'English Defence League' which directly connotes a group of some sort. A single person can't be a group.

Why are people quoting the NF or EDL. They no longer exist.

Still thanks for the heads up, sounds like a good night to go out filming.
Be careful when you label right wingers. Colin Morris was one but I think he’s racially ambivalent

Lots on here who seem to be experts on if the EDL exist or don't exist.

They are still referenced and named in various propaganda put out by those on the far right. Many members of the far right self-identify as members of the 'EDL' even if as an actual organisation they don't currently operate.

Don't you think there is a slight dichotomy between labelling someone a 'Nazi' and the other 'EDL'? The former connotes an individual who is subscribed to 'Nazism'. Whereas the latter stands for 'English Defence League' which directly connotes a group of some sort. A single person can't be a group.
True, you wouldn't say "that person is an EDL" so it isn't an exact comparison. I still think though (as shown by the people chanting their name) there are people that would identify as supporters of the EDL's ideology though and because of that the EDL still lives on even if they don't officially exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back