• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure I would be, if that were our realistic level. Really, we should be sustainable as a League 1 club with our resources. I would have thought....

Exeter City, currently sixth in League One, are a good example. Owned by their supporters trust they made over £1 million profit last year and £2.9 million the year before. We could be similar to them and with a larger population.

Exeter City, currently sixth in League One, are a good example. Owned by their supporters trust they made over £1 million profit last year and £2.9 million the year before. We could be similar to them and with a larger population.

I was a firm disbeliever in this approach but we would have an opportunity to get a real local sense of community and just as importantly rebuild the local youth system.

The best way is the way Peterborough or Brighton operate. Sign the best young up and coming talent from elsewhere and sell for a profit.

I do genuinely believe we have a scouting network capable of bringing those type of gems to the club.

Player sales can really keep a club alive as well as decent cup runs.

It would also help if we actually used roots hall more and had decent bars and food outlets. The standard of bar and food is abysmal.
The Peterborough chairman gets dogs abuse from his own fans though, whereas fans from other clubs look in and can see he's doing a great job - it's not that easy when it's YOUR star players being sold.

Mostly from sell on clauses and add ons - without those (which you can't rely on) the picture there would be a bit different. Not saying the model isn't viable but those figures won't be like that year after year.

One thing they have that helps with generating fees like this is a big catchment area with little competition.

It would also help if we actually used roots hall more and had decent bars and food outlets. The standard of bar and food is abysmal.
One of the first things to do is, as Tommy says, revamp and vastly improve the facilities and products in the food outlets and increase the hours the main bars are open to generate much more income than the current spend.
Pre match "beer flogging" could raise an awful lot of money -- years ago on the last match of the season against Yeovil the Spread took over £7000 on the day, before and after the game. I know I was running about and lost about a stone in weight.

Dude, a number can be huge and yet, at the same time, smaller than another number.

EDIT - Mods, off-topic or not, I can't believe I wrote this. Please issue me a life ban forthwith.
True, to go back to the original post. Having a sustainable league 1 club, that isn’t reliant on a sugar daddy to fund it surely has to preferably than relying on handouts to survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back