• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
plus all the hiring and firing of managers who we had to pay off - Powell, Bond, Campbell, Moseley etc. Bet that wasn't cheap

Doesn't help that Moseley also bought over 5 backroom staff.

Didn't Ricky Duncan get bonuses for every youth player that got a contract too? And when he became director of football, we gave contracts to literally the whole youth team? (Could be a massive lie?)

Is it odd that there's no noise on the wages - last few months this has been a hot bed of wages not paid - wages are paid etc - yet this month silence - strange

Ron Martin has squeezed the life out of SUFC. We must remember that no business man or consortium buy a football club out of altruism, they all want a return on their investment. Hopefully our next owner; probably/hopefully Justin Rees and his consortium, are competent and don't kill the goose which lays their golden egg.

But so very few get it though.
Reminds me of the old (but true) joke, how do you become a millionaire running a football team. Answer, start by being a billionaire.

Reminds me of the old (but true) joke, how do you become a millionaire running a football team. Answer, start by being a billionaire.

The best way is the way Peterborough or Brighton operate. Sign the best young up and coming talent from elsewhere and sell for a profit.

I do genuinely believe we have a scouting network capable of bringing those type of gems to the club.

Player sales can really keep a club alive as well as decent cup runs.

It would also help if we actually used roots hall more and had decent bars and food outlets. The standard of bar and food is abysmal.

Doesn't help that Moseley also bought over 5 backroom staff.

Didn't Ricky Duncan get bonuses for every youth player that got a contract too? And when he became director of football, we gave contracts to literally the whole youth team? (Could be a massive lie?)
Molesley planned to bring in 7 to fill positions had been hollowed out and like CEO should have been filled earlier. In the end I think he only actually got 5 (Prodomos x2 as assistant manger and gk coach; Jamie Wells as 1st team coach; Sam Hall, an analyst; and Anton Robinson recruitment.

When Sol left so did Hreidarrson, Andy Cole and Tony Colbert. We didn’t have a head of recruitment since Roger Cross left when his wife was unwell and wasn’t replaced as we’d been under an embargo for the entire Campbell regime so that was seen as surplus to requirements. The head analyst Ben Cirne had left a year earlier to go to Millwall and not been replaced.

The 6th was going to be a physio but we didn’t fill that until I don’t think until we got Johnny Gowans back which was a crazy long time to go without a permanent physio. Not sure who the 7th was going to be…

The only one Molesley got rid of was the GK coach.

What was seen as a power play of bringing in all this staff was actually a damning indictment of the state the club had been left in with positions unfilled. Our first team was actually less well looked after than most L1/L2 academies where they are required to have analysts/physios etc.

The best way is the way Peterborough or Brighton operate. Sign the best young up and coming talent from elsewhere and sell for a profit.

I do genuinely believe we have a scouting network capable of bringing those type of gems to the club.

Player sales can really keep a club alive as well as decent cup runs.

It would also help if we actually used roots hall more and had decent bars and food outlets. The standard of bar and food is abysmal.
Very true, as long as we supporters don't complain about us selling our best players.
Couldn't agree more about the use of the ground to generate income.

Neither of the clubs has been profitable long-term. Pborough did post a profit last season but their long-term P&L reserves stand at negative £15m. Brighton was profitable last season but have losses of about £240m over the last five years. Both rely on having ownership fund them.

Neither of the clubs has been profitable long-term. Pborough did post a profit last season but their long-term P&L reserves stand at negative £15m. Brighton was profitable last season but have losses of about £240m over the last five years. Both rely on having ownership fund them.
The most hair-raising thing I've read recently is, Private Eye commented that Mohammed Fayed, whilst in charge at Fulham, spent £500 million on them whilst he owned them. Eye watering.
:Off Topic: I know but it just shows what deep pockets you need in this business.

The most hair-raising thing I've read recently is, Private Eye commented that Mohammed Fayed, whilst in charge at Fulham, spent £500 million on them whilst he owned them. Eye watering.
:Off Topic: I know but it just shows what deep pockets you need in this business.
I am amazed how many clubs in the NL are fully professional. According to Wikipedia (and although there is no source given, I can well believe it) all but 3 clubs in our league are full time. Many must be living well beyond their means.

I would rather have a modest but sustainable club, rather than one that relies on a rich owner pumping money in all of the time. Not just because that owner might loose interest, but also because it just seems to me like the right thing to do.

I am amazed how many clubs in the NL are fully professional. According to Wikipedia (and although there is no source given, I can well believe it) all but 3 clubs in our league are full time. Many must be living well beyond their means.

I would rather have a modest but sustainable club, rather than one that relies on a rich owner pumping money in all of the time. Not just because that owner might loose interest, but also because it just seems to me like the right thing to do.

You’d be in a HUGE minority regardless of what people would say atm.

Obviously, as an alternative to what we have now it sounds great.

But after our 8th consecutive season in National League South….

I am sure I would be, if that were our realistic level. Really, we should be sustainable as a League 1 club with our resources. I would have thought....
If sustainable league 1 were manageable...everyone would be doing it.

Hardly ANY football club is sustainable in their current form, which is the problem.

Whilst Ron has MANY MANY MANY faults, owning football clubs has become a rich man's game if you want any form of success. He got priced out many years ago but tried to keep up with the Jones, which, in part, led to our (and his) downfall.

I'd find it hard to believe anyone would buy a football club as an investment unless there is some strategic reason like Ron attempted (woefully) to with land development. However if you have a company/companies which are making good profits it's a much better way to enjoy it than giving it away in tax!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back