• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming that it will be a condition of new planning permission. Instead of you must build a stadium, you must pay £20m towards RH redevelopment.

I would hope the council make it (the £20m) a planning condition as they now seem to have a vested interest in RH as a Community asset
I'm assuming that's exactly how it will work and why the negotiations have also included the leader of the Council.

I would imagine that there will be staged payments to maintain a community asset (i.e. Roots Hall) aligned to completion or commencement of certain stages of the revised development of Fossetts Farm.

It will be by way of a legal agreement (s.106) attached to the planning permission.

What will be interesting to understand is how the deal might also include the Shrimpers Trust or the Council taking full or part control of Roots Hall as a Community Asset.

There's going to be a whole heck of a lot of legal work to take place to tie this up, and quite lot of trust/goodwill too as the new planning application won't even be submitted by the time it's crunch time for the club, however if they pull this off there's a lot of benefits for all sides:
  • The Rat and Rat Boy get their development
  • The Council secure a professional football club in the City and potentially also safeguard the future of its ground
  • Justin Rees gets the club and significant medium term contributions towards the development of future revenue streams
  • The fans get a club to support that is properly run and has a sustainable future.

Last edited:
Rumour doing the rounds is that Rees will put the whole value of the HMRC debt in an escrow account so it can be cleared, repayable by RM if the takeover doesn't complete. This is a bid to stave of administration/further points deduction etc.
If that proves to be the case then I suggest we all buy JR a beer. I wouldn't lend RM a penny, let alone hundreds of thousands of £.

Rumour doing the rounds is that Rees will put the whole value of the HMRC debt in an escrow account so it can be cleared, repayable by RM if the takeover doesn't complete. This is a bid to stave of administration/further points deduction etc.
sounds like Ron has finally met his match with an honest, KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING businessman

If you want to pre-order a half decent Aussie beer to drink a toast to our new Aussie owner with should this actually happen then Stone & Wood Pacific Ale is available to order online.

Just not Fosters or XXXX people, have some standards

If that is the deal that has been agreed, great however, can we really see Rat handing over x millions in a couple of years time to upgrade RH without a huge legal fight?
Current planning permission is phased and would obviously need to be changed.
Therefore I am guessing’ Council could inject a clause/phase of when Ron has to pay the club. Until the payment is made he can’t move on to the next phase. Could be done as multiple smaller payments potentially

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back