• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just done some shopping and got the evening echo.

I never buy papers, but this caught me eye.

2 page spread about the plight of SUFC with Gary Lineker having his say about the plight of SUFC on his podcast.

Also it says that Justin Rees flew in on Sunday to hold talks with "Ron The Rat, Martin", and that Justin was in attendance at the North London derby.
This would possibly explain why there was an epidemic of RATS at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

It also says that Tony Cox also attended the meeting on Sunday.
Is that Times article available somewhere on SZ?

I still can’t get my head around any deal.

As I have said before Ron doesn’t have planning permission for fossets without a stadium.
As other posters have said, he only got PP for houses because of the stadium.

The only way I see a deal working is that selling roots hall /SUFC effectively helps Rob with his working capital and he continues in his plans to develop FF.

Any deal for the stadium would then have a clause that the buyer MUST “swap” roots hall for the stadium at fossets once it is built.
I don’t know if you legally put that into a contract or not. You certainly couldn’t “force” someone to pay for the new stadium from a practical level- ie they may not have the funds in X years time.

I don’t understand how Ron could take the multi tens of million profit gamble on selling roots hall and hoping that planning goes through.
Unfortunately we will only find out when this is announced and we see the detail - assuming it’s shared. I know some have posted how only houses at FF is a huge great problem (and they are not unknowledgeable in this area), yet even now SCC and Gov, primarily through Anna Firth, remain closely involved in negotiations (incl. the leader of SCC on Sunday). Well they are involved for a reason.
So I would take a lot of what you read, including from me, with a gigantic dose of salt.
There is a deal structure that has been worked on for some considerable time, and I don’t buy the idea that all the parties involved are idiots.
Fundamentally you are correct- for Ron to sell RH and the club for £4.5m (or less) and kill the FF development is plainly a non-flyer for Ron and actually also a really bad outcome for SCC.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we will only find out when this is announced and we see the detail - assuming it’s shared. I know some have posted how only houses at FF is a huge great problem (and they are not unknowledgeable in this area), yet even now SCC and Gov, primarily through Anna Firth, remain closely involved in negations (incl. the leader of SCC on Sunday). Well they are involved for a reason.
So I would take a lot of what you read, including from me, with a gigantic dose of salt.
There is a deal structure that has been worked in for some considerable time, and I don’t buy the idea that all the parties involved are idiots.
Fundamentally you are correct- for Ron to sell RH and the club for £4.5m (or less) and kill the FF development is plainly a non-flyer for Ron and actually also a really bad outcome for SCC.
Yeah I get all that -BUT and it’s a BIG ‘but’
Councils change
MP’s change
Government policy can change
Promises can be made but legally it’s impossible for a deal to be done where Ron’s knows 100% that his next planning application for homes and no stadium will be approved.

Do you think a deal can be done where Ron is “guaranteed “ planning permission in advance of an application being made. As far as I knew that is impossible

He is the Councillor from southend council who put up the statement that the council should help save the club
In fact he is rather more than just a Tory councillor. He is the leader of the Tory minority administration. I feel his involvement at this stage of the negotiations could be quite signifiant. Like everyone else I'm refraining from getting too excited, only to be let down again but whilst there's life there's hope !

Yeah I get all that -BUT and it’s a BIG ‘but’
Councils change
MP’s change
Government policy can change
Promises can be made but legally it’s impossible for a deal to be done where Ron’s knows 100% that his next planning application for homes and no stadium will be approved.

Do you think a deal can be done where Ron is “guaranteed “ planning permission in advance of an application being made. As far as I knew that is impossible
Not guaranteed no.
In the end it’s about trying to make sense of the deal that been mooted. Maybe that’s incorrect. No idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back