• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its very much 'Hobsons choice' but if Administration occurs sooner than later, given the upcoming due wages and the spector of Eon looming large, I am deeply concerned for the effects it will have on the players and Management team. We know all the shared adversity has formed the 'glue' that keeps it all together, but further point deductions surely would be a sledgehammer to the fighting spirit. Relegation becomes a realistic outcome, what motivation can there be found to keep everyone engaged, yes I have no doubt about their professionalism but this is about emotional engagement and mental wellbeing. They go from looking up a steep hill to climbing a mountain. For me Administration is very much a poisoned chalice. That's why I answered the Trusts Survey as not in favour, but I am realistic in it's acceptance if it comes.
I think admin would have felt mildly more palatable if it had been done in August prior to the last hearing if he knew he wasn’t paying it ir accepting a deal in time, just like he knows this time. Now it’ll be another deduction and throw flames on the fire of our season.

Sorry to ask and I’m sure this has been answered but if we go into administration does the rat firstly have to request it? Then I get that our day to day running is handled by an administrator but once back on an even keel who becomes the new boss? Ron? A new buyer?

So what was the Rat (and son of Rat) doing at the Emirates today? 🤔
Enjoying the match I expect just another normal day for Ron all the protest and goings on at roots hall doesn’t bother him , a nice day out for someone with no money a nice drive up expensive lunch top seat at the game and our supporters plus other clubs and even their chairman are raising money to help him , that man is laughing at everyone 💰💰💰

The last 2 lines of this wonderful statement sum our sad situation up. Every marathon starts with the first step, there will be many more taken before we reach the finishing line.

Sorry to ask and I’m sure this has been answered but if we go into administration does the rat firstly have to request it? Then I get that our day to day running is handled by an administrator but once back on an even keel who becomes the new boss? Ron? A new buyer?
Its far far from a straightforward process and yes RM could try and put the club into administration.

An administrator will attempt to steer the club through to new ownership but there is absolutely no certainty that they will be able to generate enough funds to pay the day to day running costs nor is anywhere close to a given that their judgment won’t be that creditors are better served by insolvency as opposed to allowing either a CVA or selling the club to a new ownership group and forming a New Company

And that’s just the start of things you have a whole stack of things to navigate such as the charges taken against everything of worth . You have the issues of where to play because the club doesn’t own RH . Any NewCo would have to convince the administrators that they have sufficient funds to trade enough funds to Frank any security HMRC insist on and then you have to convince the NL .

Being in administration as we know brings with it an automatic 10 point deduction as well as a prolonged embargo Possibly for another two years ( that’s the time that Wigan are having to endure)

Any NewCo will have to ensure Football Creditors are paid in full and come to agreement with other creditors to pay I believe around 25% of the total debt over a 2 year period or 33% over 3 years.If that can’t be agreed there will an automatic relegation as a minimum.

Going into Administration guarantees absolutely no certainty to a future at best its going to be a particularly challenging going forward if for no other reason because of the ownership issues around RH and of course the myriad of issues that haven’t been addressed over the last few years.

I don’t mean to be so negative but I can see no great grounds for celebration if Administration does happen. Is it a better outcome that Insolvency? Without doubt it is in the short terms but past that short period is the big concern

Last edited:
Ok, that's quite enough now John.

If you think my post defends Ron then it's you that needs to open your eyes. Half the trouble on here is people reading other posts and interpreting it in a way that suits their agenda.

In no way do I defend him and there is nothing in my post that says that. However, all the protesting and continual outpouring of hatred towards him online hasn't exactly worked, has it? We are on the brink of extinction with a court hearing in just over 2 weeks, no-one is buying us before then and whilst we'll probably survive that date (only my hopeful opinion, no inside info), the future doesn't look particularly bright. And that, as a supporter of 54 years, breaks my heart (as I'm sure it does for you and most others on here).

The march yesterday was good, the scarves a great idea and top marks to whoever got the float done with the Martin mannequin on it, it was a stroke of genius and a ton of work. Great effort.

But the other protests have been less effective. The tennis balls raised a bit of awareness but the silent protest was a waste of time and the rats on the pitch not that great at an evening game as you couldn't see what they were (and I think the tennis balls had stolen their thunder). But hey, people are doing what they consider to be their best and it's all for the same cause.

We all want the same thing; the survival of the club and a change in ownership, but the survival of the club must be the priority as without that, the ownership is irrelevant.

Please therefore forgive me for trying to come up with different methods of achieving that priority, like focusing on getting money into the club to keep us alive and to come up with a different approach that is more within our control as opposed to just banging our head against a brick wall by trying to get Martin to sell the club and yelling that message into an empty void. In my experience, sometimes you have to think outside the box and change the approach if what you are doing isn't working.

And what we have done isn't working.

I suggested starting a fund to raise money to get the debts paid off, you know, a bit like the one Wrexham had to do once, only with a touch more notice than they had, but that had no support because "We've done enough".

I suggested also pressurising the buyer to try and increase the offer.

I've DM'd you privately about a possible protest idea and have financially supported every single cause regarding the protests and the Trust. But it's also no secret that I'm not a fan of shouting "Martin Out" during games he didn't attend (although the last few games where the whole ground gets going at least unites the fans) and neither am I particularly in agreement with attending protests outside his house, And I've been told that that's my right, I can choose to protest (or not) in any way I see fit.

But maybe not, eh? Apparently I can't have my own view without not just disagreement, but with some sort of action.

The last time I said anything about an alternative line of attack (I can't remember what it was and also can't be bothered to look) you stuck a label on my signature calling me a "Fanboy", which I let go as just a bit of banter and humour, I can take a joke and generally don't mind being disagreed with as it gives me an alternative view that I might not have considered and which may change my mind. I like debate and discussion and, like most people, I have my opinion which I think is right, but I'm also open to have that challenged and changed. After all, if we only ever hear the same message from the same people, then we all become very narrow minded and will never even consider that something else may actually be relevant.

I think it was you that posted the thread about us all being nice to each other and you may well have to do another one in the coming weeks as decision day looms. So remember, you and the other owners and mods have more power on here than the rest of us; please don't abuse that. You will well know how supportive I have been to all of you, how much of a great job I think you have done historically and how much support I have given the Zone in the past.

Anyhow that doesn't really matter now, we are where we are. But can you change the signature on my username back please. I didn't ask you to change it in the first place and as we are getting near the crunch, when everything will get a bit more testy, I don't appreciate the totally incorrect inference. Like everyone else, my mental health is suffering through all this and so please don't do it again.

And with that, I'll leave everyone to do and say whatever they feel they need to. I'm done on here for a while. It's too toxic a place for reasonable discussion.
I would just like to say @fbm I find your posts interesting and well-reasoned, often coming from a different direction to the majority but clearly sharing the same purpose as everyone else. It is not easy to call upon people to consider some things from the enemy’s point of view, running the risk of receiving abuse in return, but I feel some of the points you make are valid and well worth making.

One of the things I have always found fascinating about SZ is how the complete cross section of society comes together on here to share opinions, experiences, knowledge, ideas, etc and I love that. The different personalities we all meet in the real world are reflected on here, aggressive, passive, funny, optimistic, pessimistic, and various combinations of those. Long may that continue. The one thing we all have in common is that we want our club to survive and succeed.

Emotions are understandably running high given the circumstances we find ourselves facing, thanks to Martin’s neglectful actions. This has brought the underlying exasperation and anger in some individuals to the surface leading to spiteful comments and bickering between posters. Personally, I don’t like to see that, but I can fully understand why some people resort to it as a way of unburdening themselves of the pent-up frustration. I am sure most of the written attacks are spur of the moment reactions and are not meant to bear serious malice.

I hope your break from posting on here will not be too long because it is a much healthier place with a variety of minds contributing on the various threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back