• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rory Fallon

Have we ever signed a striker from a league club where all their fans have caused an uproar because he's the best thing since sliced bread?. I cant recall anyone in recent years, so obviously any potential target will be slated by a percentage of the selling clubs fans as unfit, bad attitude, useless in the air etc.

On the converse, both Leon Constantine and Martin Carruthers came to the club with their respective previous clubs fans saying that they were useless and both did pretty well for us.

Sometimes, a player simply doesnt fit into a managers system of playing. think how many players we have let go who have gone on to score for fun elsewhere (Kightly etc). We have also signed proven goalscorers only for them to seem hopeles in a blues shirt (Lee Nogan).

Rory Fallon scored heeps of goals for Swindon a couple of seasons back. if he can rekindle that kind of form, he will be a snip at £250k. Lets face it, if Fallon were a proven goalscorer in the Championship, we would have to fork out rather more than that!!!

If the deal does get done, lets get right behind him and hope he is the answer, at least until he has proved otherwise.

On the converse, both Leon Constantine and Martin Carruthers came to the club with their respective previous clubs fans saying that they were useless and both did pretty well for us.

Sometimes, a player simply doesnt fit into a managers system of playing. think how many players we have let go who have gone on to score for fun elsewhere (Kightly etc). We have also signed proven goalscorers only for them to seem hopeles in a blues shirt (Lee Nogan).

Rory Fallon scored heeps of goals for Swindon a couple of seasons back. if he can rekindle that kind of form, he will be a snip at £250k. Lets face it, if Fallon were a proven goalscorer in the Championship, we would have to fork out rather more than that!!!

If the deal does get done, lets get right behind him and hope he is the answer, at least until he has proved otherwise.

Top post totally agree! :D

well said sir.

Both were one season wonders who score a few goals and are then after their next signing on fee. You can probably include Leon Clarke in that group.

Both were one season wonders who score a few goals and are then after their next signing on fee. You can probably include Leon Clarke in that group.

I think you miss my point YB. What I am trying to say is that a player can have a bad move only to come good elsewhere. I wouldnt even mind a one season wonder at the moment!

Its a fact of life that we cant buy good proven strikers.

We have to take a chance with whoever we sign, whether its non-league (Eastwood) or underachievers (Leon Clarke/Stanley Collymore), or past their sell by date (Goater/Bradbury).

By default that means that whoever we buy will come with bad reviews from some, we just have to hope we get the most of them when they arrive, a new start can kick start a players career after all.

Personally I think Fallon has more of a pedigree than what we have, but dont see him scoring many based on his career so far.

250k sounds a lot but at present Im sure he would improve the squad from a strikers perspective (as would my nan).

Its a fact of life that we cant buy good proven strikers.

We have to take a chance with whoever we sign, whether its non-league (Eastwood) or underachievers (Leon Clarke/Stanley Collymore), or past their sell by date (Goater/Bradbury).

By default that means that whoever we buy will come with bad reviews from some, we just have to hope we get the most of them when they arrive, a new start can kick start a players career after all.

Personally I think Fallon has more of a pedigree than what we have, but dont see him scoring many based on his career so far.

250k sounds a lot but at present Im sure he would improve the squad from a strikers perspective (as would my nan).

What sort of fee would you be looking for your nan as our new star striker??

Isn't that a bit harsh on Carruthers, YB? wasn't he unloaded by Webb as part of his wage cutting duties, rather than wanting to move on?

Not harsh at all. People are criticising the current players for lack of effort, but Carruthers lost all interest at Roots Hall when he didn't get the pay increase Little apparently offered him.

He always had a good first season before going off the boil once he got his improved contract/no pay-rise.

Not harsh at all. People are criticising the current players for lack of effort, but Carruthers lost all interest at Roots Hall when he didn't get the pay increase Little apparently offered him.

He always had a good first season before going off the boil once he got his improved contract/no pay-rise.

Ah! I'd forgotten that.

All this talk of us signing a striker from Plymouth* has reminded me of Barrington Belgrave. <shudder>

*I'm aware we actually signed him from Yeovil, but he was at Home Park prior to that.

All this talk of us signing a striker from Plymouth* has reminded me of Barrington Belgrave. <shudder>

*I'm aware we actually signed him from Yeovil, but he was at Home Park prior to that.

My god he was spectacularly rubbish.
The only good thing I remember him doing was scoring in the last minute of a dire clash with York City.

My god he was spectacularly rubbish.
The only good thing I remember him doing was scoring in the last minute of a dire clash with York City.

For me, his finest moment was Boxing Day against Rushden in about 2001. Him and Bramble had an almost telepathic understanding in the second half of that game as we overturned a 2-0 half-time deficit to win 4-2.

He was toilet for almost every other game though :D

Barrington Belgrave The best name in the world

Preety good long throw.

Preety Fast.

Scored a couple.

I liked him.

If thats because i know nothing about football.

I apologise.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back