• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Questions and Answers Required Please.

1. Would you get to Roots Hall earlier if there was a fan zone, with food and drink options for home games? Entertainment and ex players. No

2. Would you sit in the North Bank if it was possible on a game by game basis depending on the away team? No

3. If you have not bought a season ticket yet, would you buy one if RM is no longer involved in Southend United. All depends on my dad and if he wanted to go or not

4. If one thing could be done to improve your match day experience, what could it be? Unpopular view but a non drinking section, no alcohol allowed before or during the game

5. What could the club do, in your opinion, to be more involved in the local community. Make things more inclusive, most of the bits done are for the trust only but that doesn't allow others to see what they are missing out on.

1. Would you get to Roots Hall earlier if there was a fan zone, with food and drink options for home games? Entertainment and ex players.
Definitely. It would be great if some local caterers using local ingredients, and some local breweries, beers, ciders could be part of the fan zone.

2. Would you sit in the North Bank if it was possible on a game by game basis depending on the away team?
At the moment probably not. It's a spiritual home for sure, although I'm too young to have been in there regularly myself, and the atmosphere and acoustics are great. Problem with the North Bank though is the view - it's terrible. If something could be done to raise the level/increase the steepness of it then that would make it more appealing to me.

3. If you have not bought a season ticket yet, would you buy one if RM is no longer involved in Southend United.
Already have one but would have considered not using it if he is still here.

4. If one thing could be done to improve your match day experience, what could it be?
I don't think I could narrow that down to one thing, I'm afraid. The entire experience is terrible. Catering options and music playlist are stuck in 2001, and the place is just dirty. Improved and cleaner facilities; much better and more local catering options; more modern playlist with some rousing songs included to get the adrenaline going; better merchandise offering. These are all things that would improve the experience.

5. What could the club do, in your opinion, to be more involved in the local community?
SUCET does a great job. I think the club needs to be more visible though. Sponsoring local initiatives, mutually beneficial stuff to help in the local community but to spread awareness of the club's brand too.

Hi All, This is best to have in a separate thread i think.

The Zone has been asked to get 5 questions asked and answered to help some research that is taking place.

1. Would you get to Roots Hall earlier if there was a fan zone, with food and drink options for home games? Entertainment and ex players. Absolutely. Currently I'd go to the Fish House and then straight into RH for the game. Would prefer to hang about the Hall if there were decent options.

2. Would you sit in the North Bank if it was possible on a game by game basis depending on the away team? I'd have a season ticket in the East, but would probably buy tickets in the North on the odd occasion to go with mates for a more lively experience.

3. If you have not bought a season ticket yet, would you buy one if RM is no longer involved in Southend United. I would fight @Smiffy to be first in line :Winking: jokes aside, as long as RM is gone I'd be buying one for myself and potentially one or two for others.

4. If one thing could be done to improve your match day experience, what could it be? Not having to put wellies on to navigate the East Black/Green toilets.

5. What could the club do, in your opinion, to be more involved in the local community. Make use of SUCET and player visits to schools to win hearts and minds of the future support. Marketing and advertising needs to be more visible, we need billboards in South Essex, club shop off site, etc.

Thanks
Answers in blue.

1. Would you get to Roots Hall earlier if there was a fan zone, with food and drink options for home games? Entertainment and ex players.

Normally loiter in the West before kick-off. Wouldn't really go out of my way to hover in the carpark unless it was for something better than a pint of Fosters.

2. Would you sit in the North Bank if it was possible on a game by game basis depending on the away team?

Not really. If mates were over there, I'd occasionally join them. Otherwise, am fine in the West. Went into the North previously when it was opened up to home fans 10ish years ago. Not really all that it's cracked up to be.

3. If you have not bought a season ticket yet, would you buy one if RM is no longer involved in Southend United.

Already purchased.

4. If one thing could be done to improve your match day experience, what could it be?

Have stewards and staff deal with alcohol consumed in inappropriate places properly. Drinking alcohol in view of seats has become ridiculously ubiquitous in the northern end of the West stand over the past few seasons. It's no longer astonishing seeing stewards with confiscated glass bottles of alcohol they have managed to remove from those with them. These rules aren't just courtesies to ensure things don't get too out of hand, they are laws. Stewards and security need to be treated by the club properly and respected accordingly by fans.

5. What could the club do, in your opinion, to be more involved in the local community.

Encourage and facilitate players going into schools and engaging with kids. Get boys and girls interested in the club, provide tickets for free to youngsters to aid this.

The Zone has been asked to get 5 questions asked and answered to help some research that is taking place.

Yes, there is big scope for this as many of us arrive early for a street parking space and are kicking around the place. A pre match pop up stage that is sponsored and bar would be immense fun out in the car park and a stall selling SUFC merch included. TV for the premiershite early kickoffs housed in another pop up tent.

Back to my roots? Well it would be rude not to. .

Holding on for a seaso until Martin goes, and so are a few of my clan

WIfi in ground

5. What could the club do, in your opinion, to be more involved in the local community.

Enter a club float in the biggest Essex street carnival (Wickford) ..i can send you the forms. But to expand on that, just be a hell of a lot more visible around Essex. Outside of Southend, there is a lot of support and we can tap into that and more. In Southend, i agree with most replies on this thread already.

A couple more points.

Rather than just before the game it would be good to be able to stay around after the game too.

The majority of my match day spend is after the game. None of that currently goes to the club but that is very much up for grabs.

I think a lot of good work goes on in the community but with more support their impact can go even further.

Can I also echo the stuff about making the club more visible. The this is Blues Country campaign was good. We want to foster that sense of identity within the community. Having stickers up in the local butchers, beer mats in the pubs and posters in people’s windows etc makes a difference.

Now added to the OP , I should of said this from the beginning and i apologise to the staff at the club for not doing so.

The below questions in no way reflect anything happening at the club atm. The staff, who are mostly working unpaid are doing everything they can under the most difficult circumstances,but of course it is made worse by having both their hands tied behind their back. I apologise to the staff at the club for not making this clear earlier.

Last edited:
1. Yes
2. My days of the North Bank will stay in my memory but support all those who wish to make it Roar again
3. N/A got one
4. Completely revamp the bars, particularly the Shrimpers Bar. Make it somewhere you want to go, with food, decent beer, better tv's and comfortable seating e.g. like Fleetwood. Also, ensure the bird crap etc is removed from stand seats before each match
5. The club is already very involved in the Community but I'm sure there's always more that can be done

For some matches, possibly. I struggle with loud and very busy venues (being inside the ground to watch the game is very different to being in a big noisy bar / restaurant!). However, having a bar with better quality drinks on offer and some good quality and ideally locally sourced and produced offers. We have some fantasic local micro breweries in the area and some very good local produce, and seafood that could be easily sourced. All of this would make this much more likely for me.

I prefer the touchlines rather than being behind the goals, a personal preference, but would consider this. On a personal level, seats are my preference, mainly because I go with my Dad, who is 80, and he would really struggle now on a terrace!

Already renewed, but this was in the (now false) hope that we could contribute towards some of the club staff being paid. I would be much more inclined to spend money in the club shop and in the ground when RM has completely gone from the equation.

Apart from actually still having my team to support...

- I would love better access onto RH, without running the gauntlet of a million craters in the approaches to the East stand.
- I would love to see toilets that are fit for purpose, clean and not disgustingly smelly (in fairness the Green / Black ladies loos are way better than they were, but they are still horrible! Never had the dubious pleasure of entering the men's - dont need to, the smell is enough sometimes!)
- better access to the seats, with a hand rail or support of some sort. With a lot of older supporters in the East, I am really surprised that there havent been more accidents and injuries with people falling down the stairs, particularly down to the seats as there is nothing to hold onto. This would need some thinking through so it doesnt impede views etc.
- much better quality food and drinks in the snack bars. The only remotely edible things are the pukka pies, and they frequently sell out. The instant tea, coffee and hot choc should never be anywhere near the public, they are disgusting!
- and a huge ask, which isnt remotely practical in the current ground, find a way for people to get to and leave their seats without blocking the view of the pitch. Particularly annoying in the 5 minutes after kick off in both halfs and 5 minutes before the final whistle!

the club does a lot already, but I think this is down to individuals rather than a systemic strategic approach. So much more could be done with SBC, for education, local job opportunities and work experience across all sorts of sectors. This needs a partnership approach with SBC and other "anchor" organisations, including Southend Hospital, the colleges, voluntary / charity organisations etc (I have a few contacts in economic development at SBC if anyone is interested). With the right CSR team in place and good quality local connections, the club really become the hub of the community as it should be.

What about utilising the car park for markets, as we used to have back in the day, and hosting things like food festivals, opening the ground up for big sporting events on big screens (I am sure we could attract huge numbers for things like World Cup games, Euro games, big Champions League games and any televised Southend away games etc. Also the tennis, cricket etc. Imagine opening up a fan zone for the duration of the Ashes series (not that I would be going for that snooze fest), but people are massively interested and would probably jump at being able to pitch up with their mates to watch it, knowing there is good food and beer on hand all day!

Last edited:
Yes, definitely

For some, unlikely to do so everytime… I’m too fond of my seat in South Upper

Yes… I renewed my season tickets following “wallop”, but vowed not to go to a game until RM was gone.

Get the basics right… clean and patched up Stadium, better toilets, decent food, local beers, etc. Anything above and beyond this can be day2 stuff, but day1 must be making right the neglect of RH over the past years.

As others have said, the club need to get in to schools. Not only is this a pay it back to the community, it’s an opportunity to engage with the next generation of fans, encouraging them to their local club and not one of the London teams.

1.No, but when we go we already go in as soon as the gates open, to sit and read programme etc, it would likely stop us from walking up to the M&S at the garage for bottles of drink etc

2. Yes

3. No, not practical with the number of games can actually attend. I would be more likely to go to more games though

4. Make the place feel safer, the toilets are disgusting. Have better food offerings. Street food in car park etc, I want to give Southend the money, but fish house is better, I don't like diet coke so I get a drink I do like from M&S.

5. Not being in Southend it is impossible to really say.

I'd be only too happy to arrange for the design and build of a marquee-style surge bar/fan zone in the car park, as well, of course, as the safe-standing conversion whether that be to the North of South Lower.

If the Trust need any assistance on costs associated with this, I'm always available.

I'd be only too happy to arrange for the design and build of a marquee-style surge bar/fan zone in the car park, as well, of course, as the safe-standing conversion whether that be to the North of South Lower.

If the Trust need any assistance on costs associated with this, I'm always available.
I spoke about that today and apparently the bars at the club are under diferent licensee's. To have a license to cover outside the stadium and to bring everything under one license would cost 6K, this has been looked at before but the council were not particularly favourable.

I spoke about that today and apparently the bars at the club are under diferent licensee's. To have a license to cover outside the stadium and to bring everything under one license would cost 6K, this has been looked at before but the council were not particularly favourable.
Appreciate money isn't free flowing right now, however it potentially makes more sense when you look at overall cost v potential return.

20m2 marquee would fit 250 seated or 500 persons standing. That is more capacity than probably all of the bars combined. That is a lot of serving potential both pre and post match.

Yes, I usually arrive via Prittlewell station or Prittlewell Chase (if I'm driving to the game) so would use this IF the food and drink were decent.

Yes, if the stand was made safe standing / rail seats. The legroom in the north is not the greatest for those of the taller persuasion

At the moment I am not free on enough Saturdays to make a ST viable but if my circumstances changed I would not buy a Season Ticket while RM is in charge. As soon as he's out, it'd be a yes.

Better food and drink options, and generally improve the facilities. Reopen some of the old closed outlets too, when we have decent attendances, the queues for food and drink can get silly.

Considering how awful the club can be at other aspects, our community work seems quite good. Develop relationships with local businesses. Get primary school kids engaged at an early age, try and pry some of their attentions away from PL teams.

1. Get to RH normally about 2-2:30pm. Have 1,5hr+ journey, so not goung to get there much earlier.

2. Not in it's current state.

3. Bought season ticket when I, stupidly, thought it would help staff get paid!

4. Better food options. Like the guest ale in the Far Post bar, keep that going.

5. Not sure. SUCET does a good job, I thought.

I'll run a crowdfunding exercise for that if needs be. Confident it will be found within 24-48hrs.

Q1 - Yes, as I have said in previous posts we as a club are commercially naive, it would be a great opportunity for additional revenue by renting out part of the surrounding area of the stadium to pop ups, local breweries (L-o-S, Wakering), and street food vendors and possibly local craft independents. Maybe get the guy from the West Road Tap to set up a temporary bar area?

Also, and very important - something for the kids (next generation is key to success) competitions and giveaways would surely be repaid in future years.

Q2 - Yes, quite possibly (would be significantly more appealing if converted to safe standing. Also would need significant upgrade to available refreshment facilities), failing this then likely stick to the West, of course if TBV relocate to the North, then I’d move as love the atmosphere they create.

Q3 - Very likely, yes. All depends on what the terms of the sale are and if new buyers intent is to move the club forward. Both on and off the pitch.

Q4 -See point 1, and also please play some decent music, upgrade the sound system and stop the music before the teams come out! Also to sort out the entrance areas, which need resurfacing. The ticket collection process also needs a rethink.

Q5 - The club needs to raise its profile, in and around the local community, promoting the club in schools, and in the high street, not just Southend, but the likes of Leigh, Thorpe Bay, Rayleigh (big town, sadly full of Spammers…). Also a greater online presence. The junior Blues club is fantastic, and The football in the community team do come to schools, they do coaching sessions at the school where my wife works, but it’s only occasionally. Key to the future is getting into school, encouraging kids to watch the Blues, free tickets and competitions would be good! Need to get us featured on BBC Look East again, we’ve slipped out of the news since falling out of the league, but any coverage will encourage the next generation to support their local team and not a PL side.

For what its worth, I've asked our Structures division to provide me with some indicative costings for a 20m x 20m marquee to be rented for a season.
You could then either seek a local brewery or pub to potentially run and fit-out the space accordingly - that would be the most cost-efficient method, and is what is done at venues such as Bristol Rovers and Exeter Chiefs.

Back