• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Questions and Answers Required Please.

1) - Absolutely, I've been saying this for years that the club is missing out on revenue. Either employ people to do this on your behalf, or charge a pitch fee and take 10% of the income to a sub contractor/food van. There's a much larger margin doing that than there is on 3 car parking spaces. Make it card only so that the money is immediately into the club, ensuring a steady and immediate revenue stream and is easier to audit.

2) I would, but as I'm not that generation I'm honestly not that bothered about it. I love my seat in the South Upper

3) I can't go weekly due to work commitments, however I would also not have bought until Ron is out.

4) Point 1, cleanliness of toilets. I'm not expecting the Ritz, but I'm equally not expecting to have my lungs cleared and tears in my eyes by taking a breath in there. Also, the speed of getting a cup of tea. I put off buying things now because the queues are so long. I appreciate there is limited space but it's such a slow process that you often miss the first 5/10 minutes of the 2nd half.

5) My mum used to work in a school and she said that SUFC once or twice a year would come in and offer free tickets to junior school kids. Getting young kids in the ground in South Lower where it's relatively empty, increases numbers in the ground i.e. more chance of spend and return business, and ensures future generations come. I'm not saying do it on the bigger games where the tickets sell themselves i.e. Wrexham/ Chesterfield etc. But when we're playing a Gateshead or Oxford City as an example...

Hi All, This is best to have in a separate thread i think.

The Zone has been asked to get 5 questions asked and answered to help some research that is taking place.

1. Would you get to Roots Hall earlier if there was a fan zone, with food and drink options for home games? Entertainment and ex players. YES - local beer/cider/food/bands/live football etc.

2. Would you sit in the North Bank if it was possible on a game by game basis depending on the away team? YES - Safe standing there has to be an option though. That is the answer to increased uptake, atmosphere and probably worth a number of extra points over a season.

3. If you have not bought a season ticket yet, would you buy one if RM is no longer involved in Southend United. YES - I'll be the first in the queue and I'd buy at least 2.

4. If one thing could be done to improve your match day experience, what could it be? Hard to suggest one thing. The whole experience needs to be better. From food/drink options, facilities, safe standing, ticketing, merchandise, entertainment.

5. What could the club do, in your opinion, to be more involved in the local community. I think a big sports bar/restaurant at RH would be a great addition. A community hub, open all week showing live sport, good local food and drinks, themed nights, live performances, daytime activities and workshops for schools/charities/locals, kidszone with outdoor/indoor play to tap into the mums and coffee mornings, small astro pitch, games consoles, somewhere dad can go for a pint before the game with his mates that have kids as well. Membership scheme with discounts, to encourage regular visits.

1. Would you get to Roots Hall earlier if there was a fan zone, with food and drink options for home games? Entertainment and ex players.

Probably - at the moment we meet in the Cricketers (although sometimes time doesn't permit me to get there much before ko)

2. Would you sit in the North Bank if it was possible on a game by game basis depending on the away team?

No

3. If you have not bought a season ticket yet, would you buy one if RM is no longer involved in Southend United.

I've already bought one and always would.

4. If one thing could be done to improve your match day experience, what could it be?

Aside from a guaranteed win... restricting people coming back after half time to when there is a break in play, i.e. a corner or free kick so they don't obscure the view that always seems to coincide with some important action

5. What could the club do, in your opinion, to be more involved in the local community.

To be fair, I think the club generally do a good job in the community. But the higher the club goes, the higher the profile, the more recognisable the players, the more interest, etc. etc. The club needs to be prepared for an increase in whatever community work comes their way.

The Zone has been asked to get 5 questions asked and answered to help some research that is taking place.

1. Would you get to Roots Hall earlier if there was a fan zone, with food and drink options for home games? Entertainment and ex players.

2. Would you sit in the North Bank if it was possible on a game by game basis depending on the away team?

3. If you have not bought a season ticket yet, would you buy one if RM is no longer involved in Southend United.

4. If one thing could be done to improve your match day experience, what could it be?

5. What could the club do, in your opinion, to be more involved in the local community.

Thanks
1. Maybe - 60/40 in favour at present
2. Yes
3. Possibly
4. Ask people to arrive earlier! Stops queues and latecomers getting in the way after KO.
5. Better advertising & awareness locally - ie posters at train stations.
Adverts on commercial radio (looking at you Radio Essex ! )
Involve fans more - for example let fans watch training sessions ( maybe even take part? ).
There used to be a competition about 15/20 years ago to be part of the official team photo - @Cricko remember Statski winning this?

These are just examples off top of my head.

1 yes
2 yes
3 yes, but have already bought one.
4 safe standing
5 not sure, but to de better with community.

Absolutely yes, as long as the food was of far better quality than currently on offer - why not outsource to independent food trucks/retailers etc to attend? Charge them a fee and take a % of their income

No, I sit in the west stand but 100% support the North being for home fans

N/a as already bought, but I won't attend if RM remains involved and won't ever renew while he remains involved

Only one thing as the list is endless !! However work with SHSB re opening their car park on match days as zero cost to the club and encourages more fans who know they can park. Others are : better PA system food is terrible, toilets are terrible, seats don't have numbers on them, roof leaks, scoreboard doesn't work, turnstiles don't work, ticket office in West isn't properly manned,

I am nicking MattE's point on this as these are the next generation of supporters
5. Get into primary schools, offer a pe lesson and handout some free tickets.

Thanks
1) Yes, if we could have decent ales and crafts available with half decent food facilities then Wallop

2) I'm not fussed personally as been in there twice and the view is ****e however for nostalgia I'm sure 3 of out group of 6 would love to

3) NA

4) The old girl is struggling, not having flooded toilets with fungai growing would be a start, In ground food options need to be better, open up X block and remove the wall to create a larger, less congested 'loud section'

5) big question, I'm not on socials anymore but do we still do the items like hospital visits, school training sessions, last years pre season down the seafront? things like that which garner interest and get us out there. Beyond that holding specific days of free entry and appreciation in the brand new fan zone of course for those working in the hospital/hospices, armed forces, public services. Kids for a quid, free tickets for schools where they get a walk across the pitch and meet the players etc try and hook some of the little bastards for life.

1. Yes. I normally get to Roots Hall around 12 ish and as nothing doing around Roots Hall head into Southend.
2. Not for me
3. N/A - already purchased.
4. Speed of service at kiosks. The Groundsman Arms under the East has 1 server who is on it very quickly with no delays. Compare that to the East Stand food kiosk above it where there are 2 people and the service is pretty slow.
5. Better advertising about matches etc I think the club already does lot in the community but probably doesn't shout about it too loudly.

1 - Not always, but a lot more regularly
2 - Again not always, but on a fairly regular occasion yes
3 - Already have it
4 - A Roots Hall that is restored and not crumbling. Starting with the roof, toilets and catering options
5 - In short. Be more visible. You could drive around the surrounding areas of Southend through to Benfleet and see maybe one mention of the biggest club in Essex. How are we going to inspire the next generation to support their local club when TV & internet makes following a big successful club so easy. Connect with local firms, schools, community groups and have more schemes to encourage regular matchday attendance

Like Quote Reply

Thanks
1. Yes, and half time food and drink needs to be sorted, right now its too crap and too busy to bother with,

2. No

3. no as not local

4. A clean nice place to go. For me i dont really have a problem with the match day experience,

5. Players into local schools, more meet the blues days, birthdays at roots hall etc. Get the hall full with discount days.

6. Get the merchandising sorted, at the shop and online. people want to spend money and there is nothing good to buy

Thanks
1. yes
2. N/A as I have an East Stand season ticket
3. N/A
4. Easier access to food/drink. Refurbished Stadium
5. Community projects, regular school visits

Thanks
1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes
4. Re-open all the concession stands in the ground
5. Prob a harsh question as they already do alot, but would look to open up a pitch or pitches for hire during the week to allow local groups to play. Ensure community coaches are offering as much to schools as we can, summer camps etc

1. Yes 100%, would be nice to spend a bit more time there and not just be there for the 90 minutes and **** off because there’s **** all there.

2. Yes, be nice to experience the North bank again.

3. Yes potentially, all depends on work really so if there was potential for a reduced season ticket where say you can pick half the games or something then I’d be very interested.

4. Better food and drink offerings and more of them, potentially different outlets offering various foods, some great offerings at other clubs as per @footyscran.

5. I’m not sure if it’s something they already do but to attend primary schools and offer kids for a quid initiatives again, also giving away tickets to primary schools as well to attract the next generation of fan. If it wasn’t for this I wouldn’t have got in to supporting Southend United. I still remember the day when the goalkeepers from SUFC, can’t remember who it was, came in to my school and we done a penalty shoot out as a 5 year old, it was pretty special for a little kid.

1. Definitely. Get good food and drink, and a decent screen to watch the early kick off, and I'd spend £30 before every home game.

2. Not for me but would like to see it.

3. Already ST holder

4. Provide the experience in question 1 and get proper seat numbers on the seats (East Greens)

5. Provide a way to encourage help from skilled supporters. We've seen from the past week alone just how many trades and skillsets we have in the fanbase. I work in Product Management and would happily do my bit to help when relevant (e.g. requirements for new ticketing system)

Thanks
1. Yes! But try to involve the Spread & BB too.
2. Yes, maybe not regularly but would love the option.
3. Can’t afford it right now but would certainly be more inclined as soon as I could.
4. Improve toilets and food & drink options.
5. Just give the community team a proper budget, get involved with local events.

100% yes

Possibly although I am happy in the West. I understand those wanting the North back though.

My location doesn't see me attend enough games to warrant a ST. Ron is the deciding factor for almost all ST fans though.

A better club shop with better and more varied merchandise.

Attract the next generation of fans with being more visible around the city. How I don't know, but the city needs to really be proud of the club. Maybe advertising matches on posters or similar would be a good start.

Thanks
1. Yes, definitely
2. Possibly
3. Yes
4. Just having a club you can get behind would be enough in all honesty without all the drama
5. Invite groups (maybe just kids) to places like the training ground, to play and walk round and visit?

Back