• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Pre-season Friendlies

Well my mate is running the line there tomorrow and he's not been told it's off.

Mind you Billericay do have a 'Plan B' in place in case we can't fulfil the fixture, in which case they may only find out who they are officiating for when they turn up!

My gut feeling is the management will try their utmost to get this on. We cannot fall any further behind in terms of match practice. They've had a couple of weeks of stop-start and not ideal preparation, but sooner or later we are going to have to start playing games because if we do end up starting the season, we're going to be risking injuries and a serious drubbing against Oldham.

It should of course be our call, but we'll want to have at least 22 players available (45 mins for two teams) and I think therein will lie the issue.

One poroblem is the utterly rediculous league rules about trialists. It is absurd if we can't play them. It would be more evidence of the contempt the league have for player welfare.

Normally first friendly no-one would play for more than 45 minutes. With the current squad size thats impossible unless management put on their boots on or we can make up the numbers with the kids?

PS Stan still looks fit enough for 45 mins!!

One poroblem is the utterly rediculous league rules about trialists. It is absurd if we can't play them. It would be more evidence of the contempt the league have for player welfare.

Normally first friendly no-one would play for more than 45 minutes. With the current squad size thats impossible unless management put on their boots on or we can make up the numbers with the kids?

PS Stan still looks fit enough for 45 mins!!
I am pretty sure it's a legal issue. If they are not contracted, in order to play as a trialist the club would need insurance cover or at the least a waiver. Players won't sign a waiver in case of a career threatening injury and the club can't put insurance in place if there isn't any, due to embargo restrictions of not being allowed to register them. @BoyWonder2 - would this be accurate?

I tweeted earlier about the game. Neither Southend or Billericay has responded. My neighbours who are massive Billericay fans said they havnt heard its on or off either. they are trying to find out. if Billericay are still selling tickets thats poor on their part if nothing has been confirmed. normally their SM which to be fair is pretty good is normally quite informative the day before a game but they havnt posted anything either. I will be at the protest in the morning and the game in the afternoon if on. But, cant see how it can be. We dont have enough players and no medical team...plus we havnt trained properly in weeks

We have 14 contracted players, we may assume that Bridge and Ralph have signed some sort of contract that allows our squad size of 16 under the embargo.

Now this may need clarification form others on the board as I don't know, in terms of scholarships, what are the status of Crowhurst and Sandat. I know they both played last season but I'm not sure if they played under professional contracts, if not and they are still scholarship age can they play in the friendly. IIRC there are some kind of rules on how many games you've played professionally (5?) to be added into a squad under an embargo.

If they are allowed then that's 18. Ndi can play the whole game in goal so we now need just 3 more which could be made up of youth players.

Then out of them 14 contracted players, it depends if Lomas or Mooney turn up

The only other way of doing it is players play 60 mins instead of 45

We have 14 contracted players, we may assume that Bridge and Ralph have signed some sort of contract that allows our squad size of 16 under the embargo.

Now this may need clarification form others on the board as I don't know, in terms of scholarships, what are the status of Crowhurst and Sandat. I know they both played last season but I'm not sure if they played under professional contracts, if not and they are still scholarship age can they play in the friendly. IIRC there are some kind of rules on how many games you've played professionally (5?) to be added into a squad under an embargo.

If they are allowed then that's 18. Ndi can play the whole game in goal so we now need just 3 more which could be made up of youth players.

I believe it was Bridge and Sandat that got offered the contracts to make up the 16. Also heard that Lomas has a slight injury, nothing serious but without any medical/physio staff obvs he isnt getting the treatment he needs

My Billericay mate has just said that he heard from their end that all is happening as planned. Also note CP has just tweeted we are doing all we can to get it on. The plot thickens

BTW what have you got JD down as? Suspect he will be there..

BTW what have you got JD down as? Suspect he will be there..
JD is out of contract so not included in the 14 and may well not be allowed to play, however I'm sure he will be present in either a coaching capacity or just watching.

It will be interesting to see if Jon Benton is there as I know he turned up for pre season but out of contract and there has been no official released list so if he is there we know the plan is for him to sign once the embargo is lifted

Back