• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just given away a stupid penalty in the play offs.

How he still gets a game i'll never know.

Peter Clarke conceded 79 free-kicks in 2007/08 season for us, and it was another 62 free-kicks this season when playing for Huddersfield, an improvement but still way too many.

Given the importance of set pieces, ill-discipline like that from a centre-half can kill you, particularly when they aren't very tall.

Contrast that to Chris Barker who conceded 26 free-kicks in 47 appearances for us this season.

Inconsistent ref tonight. Bornemouth player was unlucky to see red, even though it was a fair call, given the similarity to other challenges AND Kilbane pushing the ref, nearly over!!!

Inconsistent ref tonight. Bornemouth player was unlucky to see red, even though it was a fair call, given the similarity to other challenges AND Kilbane pushing the ref, nearly over!!!
I thought if Pearce was to be sent off, then Naysmith should have been earlier, as he wasn't, Pearce shouldn't have gone. Poor reffing, also the lino giving that ball out right near the end when the GK had it on the line....could never see from where he was and in that case he shouldn't have given the corner.

Don't know who the ref was, but fairly typical of the inconsistencies we see in the lower divisions.

Peter Clarke conceded 79 free-kicks in 2007/08 season for us, and it was another 62 free-kicks this season when playing for Huddersfield, an improvement but still way too many.

Given the importance of set pieces, ill-discipline like that from a centre-half can kill you, particularly when they aren't very tall.

Contrast that to Chris Barker who conceded 26 free-kicks in 47 appearances for us this season.

Are you saying that you'd rather have Chris Barker playing for us than Peter Clarke?:stunned:

He seems to be doing alright for himself......much better than us anyway

On balance yes, better footballer.PC was liked because of his committed attitude but wasn't really that great IMO...Had he have read the game better and positioned himself better he would not have had to rely on so many last ditch tackles and throwing himself into blocks
Are you saying that you'd rather have Chris Barker playing for us than Peter Clarke?:stunned:

I thought Peter Clarke was a top player for us and a top lad too

Apparently when he left he was owed thousands in bonuses that he didnt chase cos he knew we were potless

On balance yes, better footballer.PC was liked because of his committed attitude but wasn't really that great IMO...Had he have read the game better and positioned himself better he would not have had to rely on so many last ditch tackles and throwing himself into blocks

Id agree most definately that Barker was a better player than Clarke. He was proven at Championship level something that Clarke never coped with. Not so sure about now though. Remember Barker is playing against league 2 strikers every week. The average League 1 forward is far superior. Barrett had the majority of league 2 striker in his pocket last time in this league!

For me, Barker is a more complete CB than Peter Clarke.

Since Clarkey left, i bet we have saved a fortune on lost balls that he hoofed out the ground

Clarke got mugged by Scott Spencer, which says it all.

However to be fair, Clarke is/was probably a better defender than Barrett.

Clarkey was a great player. Had him and AB not been so similar who knows what we mightve achieved. He was awesome alongside Dervitte and I believe he has been voted Hudds player of the year the last 2 seasons and is captain so hes obviously doing well. Yet another player who people are happy to slag off once theyve left. Great servant and no one could blame him for leaving.

Clarke got mugged by Scott Spencer, which says it all.

However to be fair, Clarke is/was probably a better defender than Barrett.
Don't think anyone doubts that! As to Clarkey leaving being owed money, well, to be fair, I seem to recall mention of quite a decent wage being offered to him at Huddersfield so in the grand scheme of things - and remembering his missus wanted to head back up that way - he probably wasn't too bothered about chasing it.

He got a good mention in the BBC match report:

"But Terriers captain Peter Clarke showed character by going over to shake several Cherries players by the hand before joining in his own team's celebrations"

Of course that is easy to do when you have won, but not many players actually do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13356811.stm
Doesn't surprise me, and of course, he'd know Bradders well and also Feeney too I think. He was a thoroughly decent bloke.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back