• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paris terrorist attacks

I've just watched a young French Islamic couple being interviewed in Paris. They went and asked to pray together with others at a Christian church in the capitol shortly after events there. They were warmly welcomed and all prayed together. I know a lot on here don't do religion, but I found that very moving.

I've just watched a young French Islamic couple being interviewed in Paris. They went and asked to pray together with others at a Christian church in the capitol shortly after events there. They were warmly welcomed and all prayed together. I know a lot on here don't do religion, but I found that very moving.

Whereas I don't do religion because it is squarely at the heart of the vast majority of world conflict. And the stupid things is NONE of them are right.

But don't bite my head off. Each to their own and I agree this is the positive side of religion. I would advocate that the vast majority of FB users adopting the temporary tricolour will probably have a greater effect.

While we are on the subject left wing versus right wing talking at each other rather than to doesn't help but yet again I can't help thinking that the namby pamby can't have ID card parade need to think again. Spend a proportion of the defence budget on ID cards AND linking it up with passport, benefit system etc and though this will never prevent terrorism it will help in so many ways.

Over here not one person bats an eyelid. Stop and search is a regular enough occurrence so that it doesn't look and feel odd and that is because it is not odd. It wouldn't stop terrorists getting into the country on fake passports necessarily but I'd wager they wouldn't have the freely available arms supply that seems to me the case in Europe.

I was surprised there wasn't a visible police presence around Canary Wharf today.....

Canary Wharf is private land, and has its own security. Was this beefed up in any way? (Granted you'd expect a visible police presence, but it might be that they're working with Canary Wharf's own security behind the scenes in some way.)

IIRC even after 9-11 there wasn't much of a police presence...

While we are on the subject left wing versus right wing talking at each other rather than to doesn't help but yet again I can't help thinking that the namby pamby can't have ID card parade need to think again. Spend a proportion of the defence budget on ID cards AND linking it up with passport, benefit system etc and though this will never prevent terrorism it will help in so many ways.

Over here not one person bats an eyelid. Stop and search is a regular enough occurrence so that it doesn't look and feel odd and that is because it is not odd. It wouldn't stop terrorists getting into the country on fake passports necessarily but I'd wager they wouldn't have the freely available arms supply that seems to me the case in Europe.

It's not just the "namby-pamby" that are opposed to ID cards, it cuts across the political spectrum. They have them in France by the way.

Those fleeing Syria are mainly economic migrants searching for a better life,they also are coming from other countries but posing as Syrian to gain access.Now how many in total "fleeing" 500,000 ,a million,2 million,they are all Muslim who have seen their family or friends killed by western bombs,how many are coming into Europe for revenge 50,100,1000,10000?

What if the entire Syrian population want to come to Europe,or Afghanistan populace,how about millions from Iraq,where does it all end?

I think you keep on answering a question that hasn't been asked, no one is suggesting that migration is ended or that refugees not be given sanctuary.

What is being suggested is that freedom of movement and ineffective border controls make it easier for terrorists, tighten up the borders, and do things in a orderly manner and we wouldn't even be having this debate.

Wrong thread foks,surely?

There is,as yet,no conclusive proof whatsoever that any of the gunmen involved in the Paris attacks were economic migrants or even refugees from Syria.

Please allow the rest of us time to mourn the dead in Paris and refrain from posting your warped,half baked political ideas here.

It's not just the "namby-pamby" that are opposed to ID cards, it cuts across the political spectrum. They have them in France by the way.

You're quite right.And that didn't stop the 8th gunman from being found when he produced his in the early hours of Saturday morning at the Belgian border.

Btw,I don't know whether I'm "namby-pamby" or not but I'm always happy to carry around my Spanish ID card (In my Shrimpers Trust cardholder).It's useful for proving your identity-just shown it to the postie for example.

Wrong thread foks,surely?

There is,as yet,no conclusive proof whatsoever that any of the gunmen involved in the Paris attacks were economic migrants or even refugees from Syria.

Please allow the rest of us time to mourn the dead in Paris and refrain from posting your warped,half baked political ideas here.

I fully understand why you get so much grief on here,sad to say !

Stay away from the forum if you need to mourn. Last time I checked, mourning didn't involve coming onto a football forum. You can't just play the passive aggressive card by trying to make people guilty about writing what they believe in.

People are dealing with things in their own way. Some want to mourn, some want answers as to how this has happened and how it can be prevented in the future, or at least reduced.

It isn't yet fully confirmed beyond doubt that the attackers arrived on the same boats as genuine refugees.....But, if this is proven then I think it is fair to say that this is one area we can control by not allowing them enter. Anyone who believes otherwise is condoning terrorism or at the very least putting innocent lives on the line by not closing off this one avenue of risk.

For sure determined terrorists will find a way through, but their means of reaching us might have a few extra obstacles so we can't just say "they're going to get us anyway, so let's just allow them all in"

Stay away from the forum if you need to mourn. Last time I checked, mourning didn't involve coming onto a football forum. You can't just play the passive aggressive card by trying to make people guilty about writing what they believe in.

People are dealing with things in their own way. Some want to mourn, some want answers as to how this has happened and how it can be prevented in the future, or at least reduced.

It isn't yet fully confirmed beyond doubt that the attackers arrived on the same boats as genuine refugees.....But, if this is proven then I think it is fair to say that this is one area we can control by not allowing them enter. Anyone who believes otherwise is condoning terrorism or at the very least putting innocent lives on the line by not closing off this one avenue of risk.

For sure determined terrorists will find a way through, but their means of reaching us might have a few extra obstacles so we can't just say "they're going to get us anyway, so let's just allow them all in"

I agree with every word,well said !

Does it really matter whether the bombers were from Syria, Egypt, France, Belgium or Basildon?

Shutting borders won't stop anything now. If someone from ISIS HQ phones someone in country X and says "it's time" the long established people sitting in houses waiting will go and do what they need to do, these people haven't just appeared out of thin air, this is something 10+ years in the making.

It's up to the police / whoever else now to be working overtime to ensure the people they are suspecting are keeping a low profile and should anything be amiss move in.

Someone else said it and it's so true, if we knew the extent of what's stopped, not just what's happened then we'd be even more **** scared than we are now.

Does it really matter whether the bombers were from Syria, Egypt, France, Belgium or Basildon?

Shutting borders won't stop anything now. If someone from ISIS HQ phones someone in country X and says "it's time" the long established people sitting in houses waiting will go and do what they need to do, these people haven't just appeared out of thin air, this is something 10+ years in the making.

It's up to the police / whoever else now to be working overtime to ensure the people they are suspecting are keeping a low profile and should anything be amiss move in.

Someone else said it and it's so true, if we knew the extent of what's stopped, not just what's happened then we'd be even more **** scared than we are now.

Tightening up border control will make it far more difficult to smuggle in weapons at the very least.

Back