• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oldham Athletic 1-1 Southend Utd

Quiz question other than Stan - who could pick up the ball with his back to goal on the halfway line, spin and take on three defenders before beating the keeper with either foot from 25 yards - which forwards have been crowd pleasers at Roots Hall whilst playing alone up front?
Player who immediately springs to mind is Richard Cadette. He was most dangerous when he received the ball with his back to goal. A great player for us.

How many times have we seen other teams $#!thousethere way to a point or three against us, glad we are now playing that game.

Some of the best entertainment was the Oldham commentary. Don't know who the pundit was but he sounded like a character from Life on Mars......A 25 year Detective Constable suffering burn out and had failed to research his case.

On about 30 mins at 0-0 he praised some of our football. Then claimed that's because we are settled side where as Oldham are rebuilding. Later on after we conceded standard shirt grab foul (there lad also handfull of red shirt) deep in their half......He claimed we are masters of the 'dark arts'....."Its in their DNA" was his quote. Then of course as mentioned their commentary team thought you could only have 4 subs....."Maybe its 5 if someones injured"......Great idea. I'm sure nobody would ever fake an injury in the 93rd minute when their winning 1-0.

Its taken 10 years but I'm glad we have learned you can never beat them in Football. So join them.

Last edited:
Some of the best entertainment was the Oldham commentary. Don't know who the pundit was but he sounded like a character from Life on Mars......A 25 year Detective Constable suffering burn out and had failed to research his case.

On about 30 mins at 0-0 he praised some of our football. Then claimed that's because we are settled side where as Oldham are rebuilding. Later on after we conceded standard shirt grab foul (there lad also handfull of red shirt) deep in their half......He claimed we are masters of the 'dark arts'....."Its in their DNA" was his quote. Then of course as mentioned their commentary team thought you could only have 4 subs....."Maybe its 5 if someones injured"......Great idea. I'm sure nobody would ever fake an injury in the 93rd minute when their winning 1-0.

Its taken 10 years but I'm glad we have learned you can never beat them in Football. So join them.
Roy is a legend

https://www.instagram.com/officialoafc/p/C5f-1M0N_m4/?locale=id

https://members.boardhost.com/oafc/msg/1725719815.html

Dennis took a few games to adjust to NL football. Pepple maybe the same and it’ll be few weeks before we can make a judgment. Kanu took a few weeks to adjust too, but he levelled down not up !

Quiz question other than Stan - who could pick up the ball with his back to goal on the halfway line, spin and take on three defenders before beating the keeper with either foot from 25 yards - which forwards have been crowd pleasers at Roots Hall whilst playing alone up front?

We did have bloke called Harry Cardwell. He was crowd pleaser. It also has nothing to do with one two or 3 up top. Its mixture of character, ability, work rate and myth with makes a crowd pleasing forward

It's not Mahers mentality at all. He can only play a system that works for the players he has at his disposal and at the moment we only have 1 striker and 1 attacking midfielder. We don't have the players to play the free flowing attacking football I'm sure Maher wants to play.
Very much disagree. In fact the players we have are more suited to a formation and approach. The problem is we dont have players to fit into his system

Didn’t go to the game and only seen brief highlights so can’t comment regarding the game. But I do think a point away to Oldham is decent but having taken the league it’s a shame we couldn’t take all three points. But two tough home games to come and if we can take four pts from these then 5 pts from this run of games isn’t a bad return. We are at bare bones territory with the squad so much like last season we shouldn’t be too critical of Kev and the team.

Good to hear Moncur getting praised. Assume he and the team will only get better as they learn to play with someone of his quality
Morton also getting praised. Similar to Miley but more forward thinking which is what this team needs at times.
Also good to hear Crowther and Gubbins doing well after recent criticism
Pepple needs time and hope he comes good but comments on here after his first 60 mins seem to suggest he was a bit rusty but having come from Luton reserves you’d hope he would show some quality as he gets match fit

So I guess a decent point and now hopefully two decent crowds at home this week to cheer the boys on. If Effiong rumours are true that could be a decent signing especially with the lack of striking power in the squad. Either way we need one or two more bodies in urgently

I know let of us of mentioned this before. But Paul Clark's performance against Wolves in 1987 after David Webb resigned was one of the most inspirational I can ever remember from player wearing the Southend shirt. Wolves had Southend under the cosh that night but somehow we won the game 1-0 at Roots Hall. Clark played the game with a huge heart, never-say-die-spirit, and was a really intelligent player.
@KiwiRob Martin Ling with a header, of all things, if memory serves me!!!

It was on Saturday lunchtime 'Saint & Greavsie' the next day.

The last striker we have had on loan who has genuinely had the ability to do this type of thing was Britt Assombalonga. And of course Freddy Eastwood years before who initially came on loan. Unfortunately the majority of our attacking loan signings in the last decade or so have been utter dross that didn’t have that livewire get fans up off their seats type appeal or knack to consistently finish chances

The last striker we have had on loan who has genuinely had the ability to do this type of thing was Britt Assombalonga. And of course Freddy Eastwood years before who initially came on loan. Unfortunately the majority of our attacking loan signings in the last decade or so have been utter dross that didn’t have that livewire get fans up off their seats type appeal or knack to consistently finish chances

Leon Clarke was incredible at the start of his loan spell.

Back