• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oldham Athletic 1-1 Southend Utd

Visited a very poorly family member yesterday, so wasnt at the game and couldnt listen in either. Got the result around 6pm, and I am very pleased with that, particularly as Oldham are a team to watch this season and we are massively depleted. I was fully expecting to lose, and it sounds like we were the better side but couldnt hold off their attacks at the end. Things will get better, I am sure of it.

Roll on Tueday!

With regards all the other stuff, people need to realise that despite the club being saved, we are probably in a similar position we would have been as a Phoenix club without losing our place in the NL. So 8 months later than expected, and 3 weeks away from the start of the season, COSU have a monumental task on their hands just to be ready. So why do people think they will be in constant communication with the fan base, buying players we dont have the money for (remember just how much debt the rat left for them to pick up) and miraculously fixing all the things that dont work? Baffling!

We did have bloke called Harry Cardwell. He was crowd pleaser. It also has nothing to do with one two or 3 up top. Its mixture of character, ability, work rate and myth with makes a crowd pleasing forward

Yet no one has named a forward who played alone up front

The last striker we have had on loan who has genuinely had the ability to do this type of thing was Britt Assombalonga. And of course Freddy Eastwood years before who initially came on loan. Unfortunately the majority of our attacking loan signings in the last decade or so have been utter dross that didn’t have that livewire get fans up off their seats type appeal or knack to consistently finish chances

The question was which striker other than Stan was a crowd pleaser playing alone up front but I fear we’re veering off topic.

The question was which striker other than Stan was a crowd pleaser playing alone up front but I fear we’re veering off topic.
Did Barry Corr play up top on his own. He was a player you knew would cause defenders grief on his own but probably not crowd pleasing but I felt good knowing we had him upfront.

Theo was great up top in his loan spell we just used to punt it up top and he’d cause havoc. Huddersfield away springs to mind.

Did Barry Corr play up top on his own. He was a player you knew would cause defenders grief on his own but probably not crowd pleasing but I felt good knowing we had him upfront.

Theo was great up top in his loan spell we just used to punt it up top and he’d cause havoc. Huddersfield away springs to mind.
Yes.

Phil Brown did it quite frequently. I bloody hated it. And by all accounts, so did Barry Corr.

Veering off topic wow ! its been off topic for aa while now this is the Transfer rumours trhread not the past players thread .Sorry this is the post match thread v Oldham.

From an Oldham rag;

Mike Fondop’s second-half header saw Latics earn a 1-1 draw against Southend at Boundary Park in front of 5,622 fans.

It was a result which saw the hosts' winless run extend to five matches as they remain just outside the playoff places in the National League table.

The second half substitute provided a looping header from man of the match Dan Gardner’s right-wing corner to equalise after 75 minutes after the visitors had taken a first half lead, to score his first goal since the opening game of the season.

Manager Micky Mellon made just one change in his starting lineup from last week’s 1-1 draw at Altrincham - Gardner dropping to the bench and Callum Dolan making his full debut.

The first half was mainly a cagey affair with Southend defending stoutly and offering only a couple of early chances to Latics.

Their first came on 13 minutes when Harry Charsley, who had started brightly, saw his short range shot from inside the six-yard box blocked on the line in a goalmouth scramble.

It was the last real action for the 27-year-old midfielder before he went down injured two minutes later and was replaced by Gardner.

There was a further chance for Latics on 27 minutes, but James Norwood’s header from Tom Conlon’s cross went well wide.

The Shrimpers took the lead on 35 minutes from a set piece and their first real effort on goal.

Manny Monthe fouled Jack Bridge on the edge of the box.

George Moncur floated in the free kick and Gus Scott-Morris turned the ball past Matt Hudson into the Oldham net for his fifth goal of the season.

In stoppage time in the first half, Dolan came very close to giving Latics the equaliser and a debut goal when he turned well inside the box, his shot beat the goalkeeper and rattled the crossbar.

Dolan was substituted at half time by Mike Fondop as the manager sought to get Latics on the front foot playing two up front.

The visitors started the second half the better of the two sides, coming close when George Moncur’s shot on 48 minutes was not fully cleared by Hudson, but eventually the Latics defence scrambled the ball away

On the hour Hudson got down well to push Kepple’s shot away for a corner, while at the other end the home crowd noise increased in volume as Gardner fired a 25 shot just wide.

As the game wore on Latics, who deployed all five substitutes, grew stronger, although the away side always looked composed on the break.

After 70 minutes Conlon’s shot was deflected for a corner and from the ensuing corner kick both Fondop and Raglan were blocked.

At other end Scott Morriss’s 30-yard free kick was pushed away for a corner by Hudson

Then Fondop scored the equaliser with an excellent header, giving keeper Collin Andeng Ndi no chance.

For the remainder of the game and roared on by the Boundary Park faithful Oldham pressed forward for a winner, with Gardner coming close with a long range freekick.

But in the end Oldham were forced to settle for a third successive 1-1 draw.

Am I dreaming it, or once did we play Ryan Cresswell on his own up front with two attacking midfielders in the channels? It was an evening home game and we won. It may not have been Cresswell, but the formation I do recall and the fact that we won.

Am I dreaming it, or once did we play Ryan Cresswell on his own up front with two attacking midfielders in the channels? It was an evening home game and we won. It may not have been Cresswell, but the formation I do recall and the fact that we won.
Scrap that... I think it was Barry Corr up top and we were playing Fleetwood, who Cresswell joined.

But we still won.

Back