• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That Straker goal, and look what it meant to the players, especially Daniel Bentley.

Watched that game while on a stag in Brighton. Broke off from the main party and watched it with a small group up an alley just off the front. At FT I slipped mournfully down to the beach and sulked in a deckchair, staring out to sea. An attendant approached but, maybe due to my 'approach with caution' demeanor, he did not demand payment, just quietly pointed out that the sea was up to my midriff. I hadn't really noticed, or cared.

Great picture, GW.
Prompted me to do a bit of trawling.
Your picture obviously includes 2 future Southend United players, Frank Haydock and Phil Chisnall; the latter being a Blues legend.
What I also found out was that Blackburn defeated Manchester United in that FA Youth Cup semi-final and went on to defeat West Ham in the two-legged final.

And what 3 future Southend players, 1 future Southend manager and a future Southend coach played for West Ham in the final?

Derek Woodley
Mike Beesley
Andy Smillie
Bobby Moore
Jack Burkett

Incidentally as well as Bobby Moore, West Ham had Geoff Hurst playing and of course Man Utd had Nobby Stiles representing them, so three World Cup Winners.

Last edited:
Great picture, GW.
Prompted me to do a bit of trawling.
Your picture obviously includes 2 future Southend United players, Frank Haydock and Phil Chisnall; the latter being a Blues legend.
What I also found out was that Blackburn defeated Manchester United in that FA Youth Cup semi-final and went on to defeat West Ham in the two-legged final.

And what 3 future Southend players, 1 future Southend manager and a future Southend coach played for West Ham in the final?

Derek Woodley
Mike Beesley
Andy Smillie
Bobby Moore
Jack Burkett

Incidentally as well as Bobby Moore, West Ham had Geoff Hurst playing and of course Man Utd had Nobby Stiles representing them, so three World Cup Winners.

..... and the previous year's Youth Cup Final had Terry Bradbury playing alongside Jimmy Greaves in Chelsea's side that just failed to hold on to a 5-1 first leg lead !

Man Utd and West Ham seemed to have dominated the Youth Cup through the 50s, but one year Chesterfield made the finals with some kid called Gordon Banks in goal. West Brom made another final with the help of Blue-to-be Ray Whale.

Last edited:
Back