• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just been sent this by a friend of a friend. Don’t think I missed many home games that season. Probably one of the fantastic Terry Johnson’s last?
Bob. I just looked it up and Terry Johnson left us in November 1974. He went to Brentford for a silly £15,000.
He was brilliant for us, but seemed to get even better after. He had an almost 1 goal in 3 games ratio for Brentford, which is phenomenal as a winger.

Just been sent this by a friend of a friend. Don’t think I missed many home games that season. Probably one of the fantastic Terry Johnson’s last?

@Whispering Bob

Sunday 24th February 1974
League Division 3

Southend 1 - 1 Wrexham
Southend Scorer: Guthrie
Attendance: 10,054

Southend United Team: Webster, Worthington D., Dyer, Elliott, Townsend, Moody, Coulson, Brace, Guthrie, Silvester, Johnson T. Unused sub: Ford.

Sunday Football in the 70's was practically unheard of in this country. So I'm racking my brains to try and think of a reason for this match to have been played then. Would it have been during the power strikes and the 'three-day-[working] week', so avoiding an evening kick off and the need for floodlights. But then again, why not the Saturday...🤔 🤔 🤔

@Whispering Bob

Sunday 24th February 1974
League Division 3

Southend 1 - 1 Wrexham
Southend Scorer: Guthrie
Attendance: 10,054

Southend United Team: Webster, Worthington D., Dyer, Elliott, Townsend, Moody, Coulson, Brace, Guthrie, Silvester, Johnson T. Unused sub: Ford.

Sunday Football in the 70's was practically unheard of in this country. So I'm racking my brains to try and think of a reason for this match to have been played then. Would it have been during the power strikes and the 'three-day-[working] week', so avoiding an evening kick off and the need for floodlights. But then again, why not the Saturday...🤔 🤔 🤔
I think the main reason given was that even tho no floodlights there was still general ground electric need and so having some games on a Sunday would help spread the load. In reality tho some clubs thought they might attract bigger crowds (which did happen) and so they proved popular for a bit .... aside from those with staunch religious beliefs (i think a handful of players declined to play on the sabbath across the league)

Great picture! Didn’t Terry (Terry-Terry-Terry) go on to lead Blyth Spartans on that great FA Cup run a few years later?
This is a great read with photo's. Originally put up by Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset.

I have a dim recollection that they weren't allowed to charge for admission so bundled the match program into the entry fee on the premise that admission was free, you were paying for program. This might be complete rubbish but 50 years on detail is a little sketchy! I think there were a few more such games, York at home and Aldershot away spring to mind

@Elmsleigh shrimper
From a quick look it seems that we had 3 home Sunday matches and 1 away one during that period:
24th Feb '74 (H) Southend 1 - 1 Wrexham (Guthrie)
3rd Mar '74 (A) Charlton 2 - 1 Southend (Silvester)
10th Mar '74 (H) Southend 2 - 0 Shrewsbury (Moody, Brace)
24th Mar '74 (H) Southend 3 - 3 York (Brace 2, Elliott)

Great memory for the York match, I cheated!!!

Could someone please remind me of the YouTube video which shows Roy McDonough getting sent off. I think it was an away win somewhere

And are there any videos of Roy scoring (a goal that is)? Closest I have found is him hitting the post in 1989 v Spurs

All will become apparent soon re why I would like this, tho it's kinda the worst kept secret anyway

Thank you!

Could someone please remind me of the YouTube video which shows Roy McDonough getting sent off. I think it was an away win somewhere

And are there any videos of Roy scoring (a goal that is)? Closest I have found is him hitting the post in 1989 v Spurs

All will become apparent soon re why I would like this, tho it's kinda the worst kept secret anyway

Thank you!
The 4-4 draw v Northampton 1986/7 is on YouTube.
Roy scored our 4th goal. Not very good quality footage though.
Still one of the best games I have seen at Roots Hall.

Thank you!
Surely you’ve got the Roy sending off from the Spurs game (harshly in the context of the day)?

Every one of Roy’s goals etched in my mind! Legend!

ORM!

'Backpass' is simply the best football magazine out there bar none and we are proud to have contributed to the latest edition with our fourth article for them. This time we cover 'The Tour of '64', a remarkable reunion that we set up at our May Former Players Club meeting. Enjoy.
"Caught climbing through the window at 2am" reminds me of the SUSCFC tour to Holland in 1984!

Good ol' Len Forge the ref there.

Back