• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News National League Statement

It's as I suggested a few days ago, in line with the court for now. It's what we wanted too, so I'm grateful to Mark Ives and the NL.

Ultimately, it might not happen as quickly as we want, but this surely squeezes RM out even more? The bloke has spent near enough his entire tenure here using HMRC as a bank and not fulfilling his obligations. It's the only way he's been able to keep the business afloat.

He has now been told explicitly that if he does so again, it will violate the requirements of the licence and the club will face a 10 point deduction as a minimum.

Unless he quickly finds the means to run the club properly and stay up to date with all his financial obligations, then he must sell it.

It is a good statement - no wriggle room, holds RM's feet to the fire, separates disciplinary charges from the ongoing saga over the sale of the club and reserves the right to go further if the situation deteriorates.

I'm not sure it hastens the timetable for the sale though. If I were a prospective buyer I would be tempted to use the 23rd August as a Damascene Sword to dangle above RM's neck.
I think it’s more likely Ron uses the deadline to dangle over a prospective buyer: you want to buy the club with or without a points deduction? After all the club is already for sale for £1, it’s value can’t really go down.

It is a good statement - no wriggle room, holds RM's feet to the fire, separates disciplinary charges from the ongoing saga over the sale of the club and reserves the right to go further if the situation deteriorates.

I'm not sure it hastens the timetable for the sale though. If I were a prospective buyer I would be tempted to use the 23rd August as a Damascene Sword to dangle above RM's neck.
I think most of us would like to use it a little lower.

I'm sorry to say this ... if we go all the way to August 24th without paying our debts, we will get relegated.

Our current team won't pick up many (if any) points from the first 4 games so we could be bottom of the league on -10

We need the debt paid yesterday so we can bring players in

Even if we paid everything off now I think we'd still get relegated. Who would we sign? We need 7/8 players

It's as I suggested a few days ago, in line with the court for now. It's what we wanted too, so I'm grateful to Mark Ives and the NL.

Ultimately, it might not happen as quickly as we want, but this surely squeezes RM out even more? The bloke has spent near enough his entire tenure here using HMRC as a bank and not fulfilling his obligations. It's the only way he's been able to keep the business afloat.

He has now been told explicitly that if he does so again, it will violate the requirements of the licence and the club will face a 10 point deduction as a minimum.

Unless he quickly finds the means to run the club properly and stay up to date with all his financial obligations, then he must sell it.
Will he give a toss though as he is on his dying legs regarding SUFC.

So if i read this right the HMRC haven’t been paid but all the football creditors have. So that means an embargo is still in operation against us.

Not sure the statement helps us in some ways, good that we are taking part in the league, but allows RM to leave everything until the 23rd hoping any new ownership is done by then to clear HMRC. If it isnt and he gets another extension we lose 10points no matter what and he can still sell a NL club and hope the debt is cleared before the next hearing.

Last edited:
Good clear statement and to think it wasn't that long ago people on here were criticising the NL for looking amateurish

Maybe, maybe not, but he's under intense pressure from all quarters so I don't think he'll be allowed to let it die.
I don't think he can let us die, the further on repercussions to his grand venture would be down the toilet.

Hopefully the ones growing fungus in the west stand.

Will put what I posted on the Football forums site:

Exactly what we needed and were hoping the NL would do.

Set out in words of one syllable for the to$ $er that currently owns our club and gives him absolutely no wriggle room or way to claim he misunderstood any requirements.

Now he can hopefully get on and confirm the sale, as this also gives the interested groups another weapon in their armoury to pressure him into getting it done.

Fingers crossed he actually plays the game now, but with him there is always this nagging doubt that he will drag us further into the mire!!

So does point b) in the statement come into effect immediately, or from 23/8/23?

There is certainly a huge interest out there in what is happening.

The average post on the club website gets a few hundred views at best. This one re the NL statement has only just gone up and already has nearly 3,000 views.

That's a lot of interested buyers🙂

The National League have issued the following statement.

The National League appreciate the current unsettling time for the supporters of Southend United FC and would like to set out the current position.

Following extensive and positive dialogue, including sight of suitable evidence provided by the Club, appropriate steps are being made by the Club to satisfy the League and secure its participation in the 2023/24 Vanarama National League season.

The Club has now cleared the debts owed to football creditors and as such the League has issued a licence for the Club to participate in the 2023/24 Season.

The Club, who can now move forward to commence the season, are also required to fulfil the following conditions:

a. The Club HMRC debt is to be discharged in full by their next court date, 23 August 2023. It should be noted that this remains a requirement from the League even if the court hearing is further adjourned past the 23 August 2023.

b. In addition, having discharged all outstanding Football Creditors, and all HMRC debt by 23 August 2023, it will be a condition of the license to ensure all new or any Football Creditors debts or HMRC debt are cleared on time to the satisfaction of the League at any point during the 2023-2024 season.

Should the above, set out in a or b not be satisfied, the Club will be subject to an immediate and automatic 10 points deduction. This is in addition to any other action deemed appropriate by the League when considering any new debt.

The League has made it clear to the Club the importance that not only the current debt is settled but the Club operates in a manner that ensures they operate sustainably moving forward.
Good statement in many ways. Clear that the Club has cleared the debts owed to football creditors. Cant but help wonder who they actually were in the end and how much ? let alone who paid as such. Presumably the club following release from court application . How come we had the funds in the account then? and if so why not release earlier and pay staff etc

That leaves the HMRC debt to be cleared in FULL by 23rd August. Can someone clarify whether this is around £250k or includes the other parties to the HMRC proceedings and therefore could be a 6 figure sum comfortably according to some ? Plus the view that HMRC further debt has been accruing fast but Im not so sure it would be as big as some figures bandied about, but perhaps so

Back