• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Mooney - Contract Terminated

Agree totally with the support from most of the fans and that Dan has some talent buried deep inside him that we couldn't unearth for whatever reason.

I would hope that we would have been speaking to the NL prior to this development, for the possibility of maintaining the squad of 16, unless we are going to do that from within until the Embargo is lifted maybe.

However, our outright attacking options are limited with him gone if there is no replacement, but the moss on the North Bank roof will have a chance to grow now.

Good Luck for the future Dan.

All this talk about embargo being lifted and not being allowed to bring someone else in as we’ve have chose to release him etc, emended Tom Clifford was mutually released a few days before the season started and that allowed us to register Demetriou. So maybe the league will allow us to replace Mooney with a like for like

JD was already at the club. I suspect it might mean (A) one of the injured players is fit to return, (B) sale is about to complete and embargo lifted or (C) NL allowing a new face to join us. I'd have them in that likelihood as occuring I think.

Bearing in mind the qualities of our coaching team, I wonder why they weren't able to 'reach' him?
Had it been Brown or soulless MM, I might have understood.
But Kev and co are cut from different cloth, so he must have seriously been disaffected by being at a top club for the NL.
He's a winger. We don't play wingers so either we intended to play a system that included wingers and that changed or we believed we could convert him to play in a different system. 433 or 343 perhaps.

He needs to go somewhere where they play wingers, that's his bag, and I suspect he will be successful. A rare square peg for a round hole on recruitment.

No surprise there. Hasn't worked out and wish him well for the future. Not all transfers do but am sure someone will be replacing him soon...

We never got the best out of him. He was Players player of the Season at Altringham. He scored 13 goals and had 8 assists that season. That's the player Southend thought they had signed. Kev said we will make him even better, and he will make us better. Neither of those things happened. He looked good in pre season on Canvey. Then he was rumoured to be home sick. He showed brief glimpses of what he could do. He got injured. Then he was inconsistent, and very poor in some games. It seemed to be a mental thing rather than physical. Rumours of him not being happy here, and a couple of outbursts, allegedly. And here we are. A shame, as he has it in him. He could have been a real hero at Southend if he applied himself. We love a skilful goal scoring midfielder/winger. He's the type that will go to another club up North where he's happy, and be the player we thought we had signed.

There is a quality player in there. Didn't he get practically assaulted by his ex team mates last year which began a long spell on the sidelines for him? When you're stuck a long way from home, that was probably quite hard for him and it took him a while to get back to fitness.

I always liked him, he had some very good moments for us and enjoyed the goals he scored. I don't understand why people are saying "good riddance", sometimes things just don't work out, and this is one of them.

I wish him well.
I'm gonna find it very difficult to have too many bad words to say about any of the current squad.

Perhaps he found it hard to settle, and he was unlucky with injuries. I'm sure there's a player in there somewhere, and he's still only luck. Some things just don't work out, good luck to him.

Behind the scenes. Not a one off either.

Writing was on the wall when he put a transfer request in, in the summer.

He also approached Altrincham to take him back.

Rather than condemning him I would ask the new owners to learn the lesson. Just like Ridgewell, Kieran and Cox in his last season.....If player doesn't want to be here let them go.

We are not Man City or Chelsea, where players can be punished and lost in their C team. Without any damage to the first team squad. We only punish ourselves by keeping them. It might be annoying and in many fans minds real insulting to us but cut noses and face come to mind.

The only one I can think of recently who was totally professional after he wasn't allowed to leave......Dan Bentley. Who sadly still gets snipes from some on here.

I was excited as many on here when we signed Money. Remember his first goal after that brilliant team move. The GSM scored his first from Mooney corner....At last some one who can bend it in with pace......Bizarrely he quickly lost the ability to even take a corner and his growing and glaring misses just seemed to add to the pressure.

Any way 18 months is enough time for any of this 'hidden talent' to emerge....Sadly it has barley poked his head up so time to move on. We still have great chance but tour next 10 games are all tough ones. If we get through those ok from mid Feb we will surly be on the charge for Wembley day out.

Would suggest the opposite. We're still clearly going to be operating one in, one out if this is happening.
I’d throw doubt on that because if these issues have been happening for a while, why now all of a sudden? What stopped us terminating a few months ago when things clearly were at the same point.

Seems too coincidental in timing to me, 1 in 1 out would’ve worked exactly the same way before.

I’d throw doubt on that because if these issues have been happening for a while, why now all of a sudden? What stopped us terminating a few months ago when things clearly were at the same point.

Seems too coincidental in timing to me, 1 in 1 out would’ve worked exactly the same way before.
Don’t agree, could be opposite. Probably because NL have given green light for it finally, we are struggling to get anything through them I reckon.

We can’t just terminate a contract until both parties agree - not without the obvious financial implications anyway. So the only potential change would be that Mooney has found somewhere else to go.

So does it mean we have one returning from injury, or someone else lined up? Doesn’t seem likely we’d be looking to limp along with one body down - even if said body was potentially limping along themselves.

Or does it mean the takeover is going ahead, the embargo is being lifted and we have a few coming in?

Some of these scenarios are more likely than others but all remain possible.

Credit to him for sticking around when he could have easily packed it in like Lopata did but his lack of effort towards the end did really start to grate. Best for both parties to move on now
Scenario is very different. Lopata was a target clubs higher in the pyramid currently. If Mooney had of been he'd of been off ages ago.

His effort in the last few games when coming on from what I've seen has been appalling. He simply refuses to track back which no player can justify. He let his team mates down.

Seems he was a player who split opinions. Even in our house, I liked him, my son didn’t. I would have really enjoyed seeing him on top form, playing consistently well for us. Think he could have been one of our top players. Regardless of anything else that’s gone on in the background, I’ll always be grateful for that third goal against Oldham this season. After a summer of wondering whether we’d ever get back in Roots Hall again, seeing him charge forward and curl that third in to secure the points was an amazing feeling. Good luck, Dan. MOONEY, MOONEY, MOONEY!!!!!!

Back