• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Mooney - Contract Terminated

Have I missed something as to why people are suggesting this means the takeover is close?

Surely it’s just a case of freeing up a slot in the 16 by getting rid of an unwanted player?
Not sure it is as easy as that. Transfer embargo is what it means. The Club must have talked to the League first. Let us hope that the really positive reason is the Takeover is very close.

Have I missed something as to why people are suggesting this means the takeover is close?

Surely it’s just a case of freeing up a slot in the 16 by getting rid of an unwanted player?
I agree i dont think this has any relevance to the take over. I know weve been looking at players that we can bring in once embargo is lifted so maybe an agreement has been made with NL for a scenario where by Mooney leaves (registration now freed up) and we can bring insomeone on non contract basis or loan. I saying that, why havnt we replaced Kanu?

Not surprised, there is a good player in there but Kev’s style of play requires every player to work for every minute of the game - we simply cannot afford to carry a “luxury” like Mooney in our first team. Sure he will do well somewhere else.

I do feel for Dan. When he joined, showed so much promise. He had plenty of shots but the more games and shots he had, the more he seemed to put himself under pressure and he just couldn’t get going.

He started to become visibly frustrated as did fans when he would try and put one in the top corner for the fourth time in a match and end up missing by skying it.

That disgusting cowardly challenge on him by Altrincham was the big change and he never recovered from that for me.

It didn’t work but I respect him for being a part of this super squad and still giving it a go even though things were not right for him.

Good luck to him and I’m excited to see what happens next!
Almost identical as to what i was going to say especially when he first joined and displayed so much promise
He does actually work quite hard on his fitness and is a nice guy to talk to but i fear that injury set him right back

I wish him nothing but happiness and success in whatever his new venture is

There is a quality player in there. Didn't he get practically assaulted by his ex team mates last year which began a long spell on the sidelines for him? When you're stuck a long way from home, that was probably quite hard for him and it took him a while to get back to fitness.

I always liked him, he had some very good moments for us and enjoyed the goals he scored. I don't understand why people are saying "good riddance", sometimes things just don't work out, and this is one of them.

I wish him well.
Agree Kay

Behind the scenes. Not a one off either.

Writing was on the wall when he put a transfer request in, in the summer.
That's fair. Now he's gone are you able to share the details?

Is this a training ground bust up, a post game moan because of lack of minutes etc?

I do feel for Dan. When he joined, showed so much promise. He had plenty of shots but the more games and shots he had, the more he seemed to put himself under pressure and he just couldn’t get going.

He started to become visibly frustrated as did fans when he would try and put one in the top corner for the fourth time in a match and end up missing by skying it.

That disgusting cowardly challenge on him by Altrincham was the big change and he never recovered from that for me.

It didn’t work but I respect him for being a part of this super squad and still giving it a go even though things were not right for him.

Good luck to him and I’m excited to see what happens next!
Funny you say that, I've never seen a player be given such a chance by the fans. Even till recently fans would chant his name, despite the lack of quality provided or even more importantly the desire to prove himself.

I do believe there's a good player in there but sadly it was never going to be for us.

I always liked him, he had some very good moments for us and enjoyed the goals he scored. I don't understand why people are saying "good riddance", sometimes things just don't work out, and this is one of them.
Very simple - in my opinion lack of ability is acceptable as after all that's why they would be playing at this level - however lack of effort is totally unacceptable and totally disrespectful to the other players, staff and supporters who have consistently given 100% through these trying times.

Sorry but I stand by that statement, he's a big boy and must have realised that he's work ethic was unacceptable whatever his personal circumstances.

Our supporters are generally really fair and all we want is to see effort - sadly this was lacking from him.

Funny you say that, I've never seen a player be given such a chance by the fans. Even till recently fans would chant his name, despite the lack of quality provided or even more importantly the desire to prove himself.

Absolutely, there have been far better players representing our club, who have been completely rinsed by our fans, for far far less. He got an unbelievable backing by us. I think this stems from most of us seeing a genuine talent there, that was maybe low on confidence.

I wasn’t there on Saturday, but many reports state he flew down the tunnel as soon as the final whistle was blown.

That’s the thanks and gratitude he showed you couple of thousand fans on Saturday, which sums it up.

Not really, sorry. Others might want to.

I can say though, this would have happened a lot sooner if we weren’t under embargo.
That being said, does it that mean we’re close to not being under an embargo then? Putting 2 and 2 together.

Behind the scenes. Not a one off either.

Writing was on the wall when he put a transfer request in, in the summer.
Writing has been on the wall for months.

It is slightly surprising to have held onto him for so long for numbers reasons, and to let him go now before a busy festive season.

It's either because we have permission to replace him.

Or because he has somewhere else lined up and management feel we're better off with him not being here any longer when he doesn't want to be.

Or both.

Last edited:
Shame. Dan definitely has talent, never seemed to settle here. So we were never going to get the best from him.
Good Luck Dan , You won’t find it difficult to find a club near to where you want to be.
Just take it easy please when you play against us . 🥲💙🧢

All this talk about embargo being lifted and not being allowed to bring someone else in as we’ve have chose to release him etc, emended Tom Clifford was mutually released a few days before the season started and that allowed us to register Demetriou. So maybe the league will allow us to replace Mooney with a like for like

Back