• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supporters Group News Meeting with Ron

I'll try to keep this brief and keep to what was said rather than any opinion.

Both Ron and MM were in attendance, as were about 15/20 supporters from various groups. Covid restrictions in place. Paul Fitzgerald from the Trust did the advocacy bit for the groups, and I must say did a really good job.

The HMRC debt has been paid but we remain in an embargo. Due to the financial effect Covid is having on football HMRC will not be pursuing debts however all clubs must enter into a Time To Pay agreement. We couldn't do that whilst the debt was unpaid but can now. I very much got the impression it was just a phone call.

Recruitment has been carried in this manner by necessity. Everyone knows we need a "lump" at each end other pitch and some experience. However, the pond we fish is in very small, but there should be an improvement in the January window. Injuries to senior players have been a problem. Sam Hart is one of four players who are actively being looked at.

RM was very supportive of MM and his methods, and was quite open about the problems we face are not of MM's making but down to the restrictions the club has had to operate in.

RM didn't count out relegation but in the same breath gave a positive outlook on the future. It is clear a lot of hope is being placed on the January Transfer Window. He confirmed he has reduced the wage bill drastically, and is able to offer better wages to tempt better players when the transfer window opens.

Short term contracts are offered as a way of mitigating against injury or players not meeting expectations. Trouble with free agents is that they haven't played since March and haven't had the benefit of any club training, so are suseptable to injury. Suggested that some recent recruits may be moved out fairly soon.

The club were paid a fee for Kelman, and there is a sell on clause plus extras. There was no for Hutchinson but there are incentives based on games played etc etc.

An interesting insight into football financing. There has been no bail out from the PL, and the problem seems to be with the Administration rather than the club. I believe his was referring to Manchester United and Liverpool's recent plan for the New Deal, but he confirmed PL clubs wanted to help. Ron believes clubs will go into administration before the month is out and one is "likely to give up the ghost". However, he seem reasonably bouyant that SUFC are in no financial difficulties at all, and he has the resources to keep us going.

Pretty much admitted Harry Redknapp was running the show and not Kevin Bond. No time frame, so unclear whether last year's disaster was down to Redknapp or Bond.

There is Council Meeting later this month where we expect some positive news on the ground development.

No CEO, roles is covered by three current employees, but this may be temporary.

He seemed completely unaware of any issues around refunds for away tickets from last year for fans!!

It was a strange meeting that was curiously optimistic given the circumstances we find ourselves in. There were plenty of other posters who were present who may wish to weigh in with their views - particularly over the ground as I don't pretend to understand the niceties.

Is he joking January be far to late by then.

Both Ron and MM were in attendance, as were about 15/20 supporters from various groups. Covid restrictions in place. Paul Fitzgerald from the Trust did the advocacy bit for the groups, and I must say did a really good job.

The HMRC debt has been paid but we remain in an embargo. Due to the financial effect Covid is having on football HMRC will not be pursuing debts however all clubs must enter into a Time To Pay agreement. We couldn't do that whilst the debt was unpaid but can now. I very much got the impression it was just a phone call.

Recruitment has been carried in this manner by necessity. Everyone knows we need a "lump" at each end other pitch and some experience. However, the pond we fish is in very small, but there should be an improvement in the January window. Injuries to senior players have been a problem. Sam Hart is one of four players who are actively being looked at.

RM was very supportive of MM and his methods, and was quite open about the problems we face are not of MM's making but down to the restrictions the club has had to operate in.

RM didn't count out relegation but in the same breath gave a positive outlook on the future. It is clear a lot of hope is being placed on the January Transfer Window. He confirmed he has reduced the wage bill drastically, and is able to offer better wages to tempt better players when the transfer window opens.

Short term contracts are offered as a way of mitigating against injury or players not meeting expectations. Trouble with free agents is that they haven't played since March and haven't had the benefit of any club training, so are suseptable to injury. Suggested that some recent recruits may be moved out fairly soon.

The club were paid a fee for Kelman, and there is a sell on clause plus extras. There was no for Hutchinson but there are incentives based on games played etc etc.

An interesting insight into football financing. There has been no bail out from the PL, and the problem seems to be with the Administration rather than the club. I believe his was referring to Manchester United and Liverpool's recent plan for the New Deal, but he confirmed PL clubs wanted to help. Ron believes clubs will go into administration before the month is out and one is "likely to give up the ghost". However, he seem reasonably bouyant that SUFC are in no financial difficulties at all, and he has the resources to keep us going.

Pretty much admitted Harry Redknapp was running the show and not Kevin Bond. No time frame, so unclear whether last year's disaster was down to Redknapp or Bond.

There is Council Meeting later this month where we expect some positive news on the ground development.

He seemed completely unaware of any issues around refunds for away tickets from last year for fans!!

It was a strange meeting that was curiously optimistic given the circumstances we find ourselves in. There were plenty of other posters who were present who may wish to weigh in with their views - particularly over the ground as I don't pretend to understand the niceties.
Thanks for the report.

Offering better wages is what got you into this situation in the first place :Facepalm:

Getting TTP is one thing but keeping to it is another that and paying current is always a challenge.

Thanks for the report. Is the fact we’re not in a time to pay agreement why we’re still under embargo or another reason?

Thanks for the report. Is the fact we’re not in a time to pay agreement why we’re still under embargo or another reason?

We still owe PAYE for salaries paid over the Summer months. Once Ron agrees a payment schedule with HMRC, the embargo will be lifted. From the horse’s mouth, but he is still using HMRC as an overdraft.

Not too much to add to this really. He remains convinced that he has the right management team in and that he will continue to back them, and believes things will turn around eventually. Continued to say that MM hasn't got anywhere near the right ingredients on the pitch and intimated that a lot of contracts and loans have been until January because many of those players were necessities as opposed to being necessarily the types of player that MM wanted or inside his top 2 or 3 options. 6 month contracts and loans means the club can replace them with players higher up MM's shortlist in January.

Also remains convinced that things are looking great off the pitch and that this month's meeting with the council followed by an exchange of contracts in December will lead to full planning permission in the new year.

The Redknapp thing was interesting. Referred to Bond's tenure as "the Harry Redknapp" show.

Confirmed that Charlie Kelman downed tools, refused to play and refused to go to the gym.

Offered an interesting viewpoint on Ben Clarkson. Said nobody disputes what a good physio he is but that he was almost too friendly with the players to the point where a lot of them preferred being in the treatment room. Says he feels Ben is more of an 'Academy physio' and that the first team requires somebody who will push players more through rehabilitation. Wasn't sure what to make of that to be honest.

Paul F pushed him hard on the exact source of the money used to pay off HMRC. He got s bit shaky, looked at his feet, 'ummed' and seemed like he was about to answer at last when somebody else cut across with a different question and gave him the opportunity to get sidetracked. So frustrating! Would love to know where that money (and the money keeping the club afloat) is coming from and he seemed very reluctant to say.

So teams are going to be in the ****? sad way to look at it our survival chances given a boost if other clubs go to the wall? I don’t think I’d get much out of that! Any ideas what clubs they might be Ron said one is close to just giving up!

So teams are going to be in the ****? sad way to look at it our survival chances given a boost if other clubs go to the wall? I don’t think I’d get much out of that! Any ideas what clubs they might be Ron said one is close to just giving up!

Yeah he's adamant that there will be administrations galore if the finance deal for the EFL isn't concluded.

Thank you all to information from the meeting and for asking our questions.

I'm guessing Ron is hoping to survive this season financially rather than on the pitch and hope that means no relegation as a result of other clubs folding

Ron did seem very upbeat, considering the circumstances. He certainly seemed a lot more confident of the club's future than he did back in February when we met him last.

It sounds like things are finally starting to come together on the stadium front. He anticipates putting in £800k to keep the club going until the end of January

Argh.... the old Jan transfer window scenario.....where last year the promised players disappeared before arriving.
Another issue why sign players who aren't good enough or MM targets .
On the ground issue hardly surprising the council are so currently keen as they have now got what they wanted with Seaway and they suddenly have their prayers answered on central governments housing numbers.Shame for the last 40 years they couldn't give a t*ss about the club,and we are left with a 3 sided ground in the National League .....a bit like the town 2nd rate

Back